IGNORED

Swing, Don't Hit.

Paiste
Note: This thread is 3516 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Don't be sorry for over reacting Dave in FL is a dick :).

True dat! :-D

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think its pretty amazing that you've gotten to an 11 HC while "brutaly topping" 20% of your shots. I don't think I'll ever get down to an 11 and I top the ball less than 5% of the time.

That thought crossed my mind, but I've topped some pretty good approaches on par 5s with my 3W about 180 yards.

I guess it's better to hit thin.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

That thought crossed my mind, but I've topped some pretty good approaches on par 5s with my 3W about 180 yards. I guess it's better to hit thin.

Thin to win! My last vlog round I thinned several approach shots that gave me GIR. Can't play well with fats and tops though.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Thin to win! My last vlog round I thinned several approach shots that gave me GIR. Can't play well with fats and tops though.

I suppose that depends on your definition of "top". ;-)

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I suppose that depends on your definition of "top". ;-)

70 yard driver :-P

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Effortless power, no more trying to muscle the ball. I finally understand what "Golf Swing" means.

In developing my swing I've gone through the same evolution to an extent. After watching some youtube videos (Shawn Clement, to name names, who advocates a "just let gravity take over" approach to the swing) I also tried the "just swing" approach, but it never ended up working out for me, and the path to golf enlightenment has been different for me.

If it's possible for you to put it into words, I'm really interested to hear more about what it means to you to swing instead of hit, in terms of thoughts and/or feelings.

In developing my swing I've gone through the same evolution to an extent. After watching some youtube videos (Shawn Clement, to name names, who advocates a "just let gravity take over" approach to the swing) I also tried the "just swing" approach, but it never ended up working out for me, and the path to golf enlightenment has been different for me.

If it's possible for you to put it into words, I'm really interested to hear more about what it means to you to swing instead of hit, in terms of thoughts and/or feelings.

This is my approach and I don't give 2 f**ks what the other guys think. I've noticed on this board that when you improve your game other players are either envious that you've improved or they think that you are full of shit. So, I'll do my best and I apologize in advance if you already know or have tried this and it didn't work for you. This is also based on having some good fundamentals as well. I am not a pro or an instructor so this is based off of on-line instruction and personal experience.

I'll try to put it into words for you:

Before, I had way too much tension in my left arm and wrists, even though my grip was tension free. When I started my take away, the tension in my arms, shoulders and wrists would leak into my grip causing inconsistencies and forcing the club therefore not swinging to the target; getting stuck at impact.

What I figured out is to completely let all out of the tension in your upper body, from the shoulders to the arms to the wrists to you grip. Start your take away then let your shoulders take the club back all the while staying as relaxed and tension free as possible. When you feel the tightness from coiling in your backswing then initiate the downswing with your hips, staying tension free all the way to your finish.

For tempo, I make sure that my mouth is slightly open and that I'm exhaling throughout the swing (helps with tension). I also count in my head. In the backswing I count 1....2... then at the top of my backswing I feel like there is a slight pause (even though there isn't, just helps to finish the backswing and not rush the downswing) then I count to 3 to initiate the down swing. So, it's 1......2.....(top of back swing) then 3 to fire to the ball.

Letting your shoulders turn to take the club back instead of your arms is huge. I had a problem with letting my arms somewhat, not fully, take the club back, almost picking it up and that restricted my shoulder turn, robbing me of some power and consistency (even though I could still hit some good solid shots) The biggest difference I find is confidence that I have over the ball, and I'm definitely more consistent.

I hope this helps. Let me know how it goes.

• Upvote 1

This is my approach and I don't give 2 f**ks what the other guys think. I've noticed on this board that when you improve your game other players are either envious that you've improved or they think that you are full of shit. So, I'll do my best and I apologize in advance if you already know or have tried this and it didn't work for you. This is also based on having some good fundamentals as well. I am not a pro or an instructor so this is based off of on-line instruction and personal experience.

I'll try to put it into words for you:

Before, I had way too much tension in my left arm and wrists, even though my grip was tension free. When I started my take away, the tension in my arms, shoulders and wrists would leak into my grip causing inconsistencies and forcing the club therefore not swinging to the target; getting stuck at impact.

What I figured out is to completely let all out of the tension in your upper body, from the shoulders to the arms to the wrists to you grip. Start your take away then let your shoulders take the club back all the while staying as relaxed and tension free as possible. When you feel the tightness from coiling in your backswing then initiate the downswing with your hips, staying tension free all the way to your finish.

For tempo, I make sure that my mouth is slightly open and that I'm exhaling throughout the swing (helps with tension). I also count in my head. In the backswing I count 1....2... then at the top of my backswing I feel like there is a slight pause (even though there isn't, just helps to finish the backswing and not rush the downswing) then I count to 3 to initiate the down swing. So, it's 1......2.....(top of back swing) then 3 to fire to the ball.

Letting your shoulders turn to take the club back instead of your arms is huge. I had a problem with letting my arms somewhat, not fully, take the club back, almost picking it up and that restricted my shoulder turn, robbing me of some power and consistency (even though I could still hit some good solid shots) The biggest difference I find is confidence that I have over the ball, and I'm definitely more consistent.

I hope this helps. Let me know how it goes.

I shouldn't have said "Fire to the ball". What I meant was "Fire to the target."

Good to hear you found something that works. I think the responds you have gotten are based on their personal experience and having been around this forum a while. I've found what I thought were the keys to getting really good many times. I've had rounds and periods where I hit it really solid and loved having finally found "it". There's been moments where I didn't imagine playing bad rounds ever again. The driver went straight down the fairway and I could chase flags all day. Then time goes by, things change, I get a few bad rounds in and suddenly I'm struggling again. I try focusing on what I did last time it started going well, but it doesn't work this time around.

I've been here a while and seen many threads about people that have figured it out, found the key, solved the swing etc. Some probably made long lasting improvement, but I do know that many lost whatever they had found or it stopped working after a short while.

I cheer for you and really hope this change is something you can gain from in years to come. Just don't get too disappointed if it doesn't last.

After all, golf is hard. ;-)

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

70 yard driver

Okay, I haven't topped for a while, that is percentage wise. :dance:

I consider a ball that hits the ground 30 feet from you and runs low while bouncing and magically goes 180 yards for a 3W to be topped. Or seriously thinned. :-$

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Double post, but I just glanced at this. . .

I have to admit that there is a bit of this going on, but I will say that all the responses you got in this thread are purely in jest.

Please don't take any of these comments the wrong way. I have actually played rounds with some of the people who answered in jest, and they really are just joking about it. Nothing more.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Good to hear you found something that works. I think the responds you have gotten are based on their personal experience and having been around this forum a while. I've found what I thought were the keys to getting really good many times. I've had rounds and periods where I hit it really solid and loved having finally found "it". There's been moments where I didn't imagine playing bad rounds ever again. The driver went straight down the fairway and I could chase flags all day. Then time goes by, things change, I get a few bad rounds in and suddenly I'm struggling again. I try focusing on what I did last time it started going well, but it doesn't work this time around.

I can't count the number of times this has happened to me.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

I've been here a while and seen many threads about people that have figured it out, found the key, solved the swing etc. Some probably made long lasting improvement, but I do know that many lost whatever they had found or it stopped working after a short while.

I cheer for you and really hope this change is something you can gain from in years to come. Just don't get too disappointed if it doesn't last.

After all, golf is hard.

Oh, I don't think for one bit that I've found the solution to golf. I finally realized that swinging the clubbing in much different than muscling the club and trying to hit the ball. The difference between tense muscles and relaxed muscles is unbelievable. Try throwing a baseball with a tense arm; you'll have no power, accuracy or distance. When you are relaxed, you can throw the ball however you please (to a degree). Golf is similar in that manner.

What I have found is that by swinging the golf club, I have become more consistent and confident but golf is a never ending learning curve and I know that. There will be good rounds, bad rounds and even some great rounds but the difference know is that most of my shots will be solid, not always on target but solid. It's much easier to make that contact with a relaxed swing, eliminating tension.

I was at the range today and when I was relaxed with no tension, I hit the ball crisp and sweet. As soon as I tried to kill it or I became tense in trying to muscle it, I topped it. That's how I know what "Swing" means. Now applying the term "Swing" to my golf swing is going to take a lot of repetitions and practice but I'm on my way to becoming a better player.

Golf is very hard and by know means am I that arrogant that I think that I've figured it out.

Oh, I don't think for one bit that I've found the solution to golf. I finally realized that swinging the clubbing in much different than muscling the club and trying to hit the ball. The difference between tense muscles and relaxed muscles is unbelievable. Try throwing a baseball with a tense arm; you'll have no power, accuracy or distance. When you are relaxed, you can throw the ball however you please (to a degree). Golf is similar in that manner.

What I have found is that by swinging the golf club, I have become more consistent and confident but golf is a never ending learning curve and I know that. There will be good rounds, bad rounds and even some great rounds but the difference know is that most of my shots will be solid, not always on target but solid. It's much easier to make that contact with a relaxed swing, eliminating tension.

I was at the range today and when I was relaxed with no tension, I hit the ball crisp and sweet. As soon as I tried to kill it or I became tense in trying to muscle it, I topped it. That's how I know what "Swing" means. Now applying the term "Swing" to my golf swing is going to take a lot of repetitions and practice but I'm on my way to becoming a better player.

Golf is very hard and by know means am I that arrogant that I think that I've figured it out.

This is one of the biggest areas in my improvements as well, but at least for me it was the beginning of the journey. Getting "a swing" is the coolest feeling, ever. I definitely know how you feel, and have a few posts myself when this golf epiphany showed itself to me.

Keep up the good work. :beer:

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Wow, I must of been doped up or sleeping when I wrote that post. "Swinging the clubbing in much different" and "the difference know". That's brutal and I'm an engineer for Christ's sake!!!

This is one of the biggest areas in my improvements as well, but at least for me it was the beginning of the journey. Getting "a swing" is the coolest feeling, ever. I definitely know how you feel, and have a few posts myself when this golf epiphany showed itself to me.

Keep up the good work.

Yes, it's a great feeling. You spend a lot of time and hard work developing fundamentals all the while, still trying to kill the ball. When the term "Swing" dawns on you, practice has a whole new meaning. It's given me tempo and rhythm which was sporadic for me before. I used to have a really slow backswing and then BAM, right into my downswing. Now it's much more fluid.

After a few more range sessions I'll post my swing and you'll see a big difference, I hope!!

"Swing, Don't Hit"

is this a reality?  I don't think it is personally.

In fact, when ever I have a good shot and I'm talking to my self I'll say, man that was a good "hit".. or I'll say to a partner of mine "hey, you hit that good"

When I'm getting ready to hit the ball, am I thinking to my self.. just swing?  No, I'm thinking hit that damn ball..

Maybe this is too philosophical, because in the end it doesn't even really matter if you swing or try to hit because everyone is different, but I've read and heard about the idea of swinging rather than hitting and I personally just don't get it..

Anyway.. moving on!

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

"Swing, Don't Hit" is this a reality?  I don't think it is personally. In fact, when ever I have a good shot and I'm talking to my self I'll say, man that was a good "hit".. or I'll say to a partner of mine "hey, you hit that good" When I'm getting ready to hit the ball, am I thinking to my self.. just swing?  No, I'm thinking hit that damn ball.. Maybe this is too philosophical, because in the end it doesn't even really matter if you swing or try to hit because everyone is different, but I've read and heard about the idea of swinging rather than hitting and I personally just don't get it..  Anyway.. moving on!

They say that there are swingers, and there are hitters. Like you, I'm a hitter.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

They say that there are swingers, and there are hitters.

Like you, I'm a hitter.

That's the thing though.. could you or I or anyone else as a matter of fact tell the difference between though two (with the knowledge that I am conceding that there are swingers and hitters and they are not the same)?

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

Note: This thread is 3516 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!