IGNORED

What Degree Loft Is Your Driver?

Mulligan Jeff
Note: This thread is 3496 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two Titleist 913 D2 both 10.5 degrees

In the past I used a Ping G20 with 9.5 degrees but played like 10.5 degrees. Ping drivers are known for having one or more degrees more loft than what is stamped on the head.

R11s set to the lowest which is 7.5. I still launch the ball too high for years. I don't think the loft is doing it though because when my pro originally changed it to the 7.5 setting during a lesson it didn't change my ball flight much or roll out for that matter, at least to the naked eye. I am starting to lag more and hit lower with my irons which started with SW and has progressively worked its way up my clubs so if it does carry over to my driver(which I am currently struggling with for the first time in years) then I will be switching my loft to the highest setting to try it out before I buy a new one.

James

9.5 - every driver I've owned in that loft seems about right - medium high ball flight - not too high or too low....

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Newbie here.  Bought a used Callaway FT9 neutral 10 degree driver w/regular shaft flex at a local Golfsmith shop for cheap.  Works well for me but would be interested in trying a higher loft driver to see if it makes any difference in distance.

Callaway FT9 Driver (10N)
Jones/Ortiz 3W(13), 4W (17) & 5W (19)
Jones/Ortiz  3H (21) 4H (25) & 5H (30)
Titleist DCI Gold - 3-PW (21-48)
Titleist Vokey PW (48-6), GW (52-8), SW (56-10) & LW (60-4)
Northwestern (Tom Weiskopf) #309 Putter

Just kept mine at the 10.5 degree setting, but it'll adjust either .6 or 1 degree up or down. I'll experiment with it a bit next year at 11.5.

In my Sun Mountain 14 Way Stand Bag:

Driver - Ping G30 10.5* : Fairway - Ping G30 18* : Hybrids - Titleist 915H 21* & 915 H 24* : Irons - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5 - GW : Wedges, Vokey 54.14, Vokey 58.12 : Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 or Ping Craz-E-R  : Ball - Bridgestone B330RX, Cart - Cliqgear 3.5

Ok this is half the story. What about your driver lie? Sorry OP somebody had to ask.

Tom R.

TM R1 on a USTv2, TM 3wHL on USTv2, TM Rescue 11 in 17,TM udi #3, Rocketbladez tour kbs reg, Mack Daddy 50.10,54.14,60.14, Cleveland putter

Its too late for me to edit, but I was wondering about these drivers that are running out there from 60 to 55 degrees lie. If you have a newer design its probably more upright like 60-58 and needs more loft, which is what most of these posts seem to describe. Whats curious to me is the distance we lose in that shorter shaft that comes with the more upright lie. The range of lie in driver is wide enough to encompass the 64-60 degrees of lie across an entire iron set. It doesnt seem like a small thing relative to the shaft length changes we are told come with even a 1/2 degree change in iron lie.

Tom R.

TM R1 on a USTv2, TM 3wHL on USTv2, TM Rescue 11 in 17,TM udi #3, Rocketbladez tour kbs reg, Mack Daddy 50.10,54.14,60.14, Cleveland putter

"These go to eleven. That's one more.."

• Upvote 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Ok this is half the story. What about your driver lie? Sorry OP somebody had to ask.

9.5. My driver lies to me all the time. Actually I don't know. My face is neutral.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

My driver's 9.5

Chris

I don't play golf, I play at golf. There's a difference.

TM RBZ driver, RBZ Stage 2 Tour 3 wood, RBZ 7 wood, TM Burner 2.0 4-AW, Cleveland CG16 Black Pearl 56* sand wedge, Yes! Golf Valerie putter, Snake Eyes golf balls, TM stand bag

[quote name="trickyputt" url="/t/77472/what-degree-loft-is-your-driver/36#post_1063005"]Ok this is half the story. What about your driver lie? Sorry OP somebody had to ask.

9.5. My driver lies to me all the time. Actually I don't know. My face is neutral.[/quote]Your driver has a poker face?

Tom R.

9.5 - every driver I've owned in that loft seems about right - medium high ball flight - not too high or too low....

What do you think of the new Taylormade Loft Up campaign to support the latest drivers, as a confirmed 9.5 lofter do you think its all hype ?

Driver - Cleveland Launcher XL270
3 Wood - Cleveland Launcher HT FL3W
Hybrid - Adams A12OS 4h
Irons -  Mizuno MP54 5i - Pitch
Wedges - Cleveland 588 Rotex
Putter - Rife Mr Beasley
Remember, P23 - V4 !!

Quote:

Originally Posted by inthehole

What do you think of the new Taylormade Loft Up campaign to support the latest drivers, as a confirmed 9.5 lofter do you think its all hype ?

Good question ... I'm just of the opinion if it aint broke, don't fix it.   I'm not buying into the loft up thing, key word being BUYING a new driver just to experiment with it.    Length is the least of my worries ... I'm plenty long enough (for me) & only play from the white tee's, so I"m 100% focused on smooth tempo & keeping it in play ...

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Good question ... I'm just of the opinion if it aint broke, don't fix it.   I'm not buying into the loft up thing, key word being BUYING a new driver just to experiment with it.    Length is the least of my worries ... I'm plenty long enough (for me) & only play from the white tee's, so I"m 100% focused on smooth tempo & keeping it in play ...

I am liking your way of thinking.  My course ain't super long and when I realise I am long enough without pulling muscles out the sockets and swinging it smooth I get better results all round.

People have been lofting up and down with different drivers for years, and Taylormade have just discovered a new secret?  Laughing until I cry and it hurts.

Driver - Cleveland Launcher XL270
3 Wood - Cleveland Launcher HT FL3W
Hybrid - Adams A12OS 4h
Irons -  Mizuno MP54 5i - Pitch
Wedges - Cleveland 588 Rotex
Putter - Rife Mr Beasley
Remember, P23 - V4 !!

I got it set at 10*5

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

Your driver has a poker face?

I can't tell when it is going to hit a good drive or a bad drive. I think it cheats too.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

Note: This thread is 3496 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!