IGNORED

Will Ebola become a big problem in the United States?

MS256
Note: This thread is 3387 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Will spreading of Ebola become a big problem in the United States?

• No.
    • Yes.

I'm not on either side of most of this debate but there is a difference between forcing somebody to inject something into their body and keeping people with a deadly disease away from other people.

As much of a red herring as that it takes normal commercial flights to transport aid, U.S. citizens (or others) in and out of dangerous areas.

I'm not even necessarily for banning non-citizens from affected areas (yet). I just think they should be on special flights where more qualified people are screening and monitoring them.

Yeah, i realized that afterwards and edited my post. :beer:

I agree that screening is probably sufficient at this point.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Quote:

Originally Posted by phan52

I have never been just "waved through". And you also have to inform them of where you are travelling to and from. If you just got off a plane from Monrovia in Paris and are boarding a plane to Newark, they are not going to just wave you through. Your travel history travels with you and you are going to be treated far differently at every stop. Plus now, in the US, there are CDC staff training and informing the customs and border people.

Somebody needs to get their facts straight here, but it ain't me.

They don't ask where you travelled, they look at your passport stamps.  They would really suck at their jobs if they just took a travelers word for it.  You seem defensive, are you a retired CBP agent?

I travel international a lot.  They always ask.  You also fill out a landing card.  They scan you passport and it has to agree with the landing card otherwise it is a red flag.  I'm a middle-aged white guy, so I don't get scrutinized that much.  I've seen others grilled for 10-15 minutes right in front of me and they have US passports.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

You're misunderstanding the fact that according to these experts spreading it to other countries DOES PUT OUR COUNTRY AT GREATER RISK!!!!

Absolutely not a fact.....simply an opinion.  Others disagree vehemently.

Further, I'm clearly not as "Patriotic" as you because I don't differentiate between a random stranger in Texas and a random stranger in Canada or France.  To me, their lives are all equally valuable.  If not restricting travel means two Americans die, but restricting travel means that zero Americans die but 2 French, 2 Mexicans, 2 English, and 2 Brazilians die, then I'm going to side with the simple Jack V. Tiger argument that non-restriction is a winner because 2<8.

Scary stuff there.......at least from the perspective of a military guy who has fought for a lot of random, American strangers.

But then again, I care more about the safety of my family than I do about some dude three blocks over too, so maybe I'm just selfish.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I travel international a lot.  They always ask.  You also fill out a landing card.  They scan you passport and it has to agree with the landing card otherwise it is a red flag.  I'm a middle-aged white guy, so I don't get scrutinized that much.  I've seen others grilled for 10-15 minutes right in front of me and they have US passports.

I'm a middle aged white guy too, so maybe we don't get to see them actually "do their job".  I've had some ask and some not where I'd been.  I've only been asked on returning international flights when I've flown for business.  I've taken cruises to other countries out of NY and Florida and never been asked.  I don't trust the people I've dealt with at CBP to determine who's infectious and who's not.  I'd be okay with a representative from CDC working with CBP though.

Joe Paradiso

Scary stuff there.......at least from the perspective of a military guy who has fought for a lot of random, American strangers.

But then again, I care more about the safety of my family than I do about some dude three blocks over too, so maybe I'm just selfish.

No, I don't think it's selfish.  I'm guessing the people in France aren't losing sleep over who in America is dying from Ebola.

I'm also a bit shocked that the people who think banning all guns in the USA will eliminate all gun related crimes and murders are against restricting air travel.

Joe Paradiso

Quote:

Originally Posted by boogielicious

I'm a middle aged white guy too, so maybe we don't get to see them actually "do their job".  I've had some ask and some not where I'd been.  I've only been asked on returning international flights when I've flown for business.  I've taken cruises to other countries out of NY and Florida and never been asked.  I don't trust the people I've dealt with at CBP to determine who's infectious and who's not.  I'd be okay with a representative from CDC working with CBP though.

In China, they screen for body temperature.  Perhaps this would be a good idea here too.  I can't see the current TSA screeners being trained well enough to spot high risk people.

I've never been on a cruise.  Sounds like an incubator to me. :-)

Scott

My Swing Thread

I didn't mean it that way, which is why I said "according to these experts."  It is a fact that those experts are of that opinion.  Stop nit picking.

Why is humanity scary?  Why is caring about people regardless of the color of their flag scary?  I don't get it.

And your last sentence is precisely why I said I don't believe you when you flippantly disregarded my argument about my in-laws.  Like hell you would be OK with your daughter being trapped in Liberia for who knows how long on the off chance that it might be better off for a couple of random strangers a few blocks over.

In China, they screen for body temperature.  Perhaps this would be a good idea here too.  I can't see the current TSA screeners being trained well enough to spot high risk people.

I've never been on a cruise.  Sounds like an incubator to me.

I see temperature screening as useful as asking me to remove my shoes and belt when going through airport security.  At this point you'd have to be an idiot to place explosives in your shoes knowing that they check them.

I don't know about you guys, but when I have a high fever I take something to reduce it.   I've taken my kids who were sick and running high fevers to the doctors only to show no fever at the doctors office because we gave them Tylenol.  Anyone that is sick and wants to get into the country will take meds to drop their fever if not only for deceptive reasons but to feel better while traveling as well.

Joe Paradiso

Let's all keep cool about this.  It is getting a bit heated in this thread.

• Upvote 1

Scott

My Swing Thread

I didn't mean it that way, which is why I said "according to these experts."  It is a fact that those experts are of that opinion.  Stop nit picking.

Why is humanity scary?  Why is caring about people regardless of the color of their flag scary?  I don't get it.

And your last sentence is precisely why I said I don't believe you when you flippantly disregarded my argument about my in-laws.  Like hell you would be OK with your daughter being trapped in Liberia for who knows how long on the off chance that it might be better off for a couple of random strangers a few blocks over.

If there was a deadly disease in that country my daughter would not be there in the first place. We can throw out all kinds of crazy off beat scenarios that will probably never really happen,

Derrek

Righty in the left trap

Banning air travel.......................................................................................................Commercial flights as normal.

Lots of space in between.

If there was a deadly disease in that country my daughter would not be there in the first place. We can throw out all kinds of crazy off beat scenarios that will probably never really happen,

lol.  can you please provide us all with a list of deadly diseases and when they will hit each country so that we can be as safe as you and your daughter?  I don't want to be ridiculous, so I only need the next 50 years.

Dan

i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff

Banning air travel......................................[screening for ebola].................................................................Commercial flights as normal.

Agreed.

Dan

i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff

lol.  can you please provide us all with a list of deadly diseases and when they will hit each country so that we can be as safe as you and your daughter?  I don't want to be ridiculous, so I only need the next 50 years.

1. Ebola

2. Liberalism

These are the main two deadly diseases we have to worry about now. can't predict the future like some

My statement is no more ridiculous than the what if your daughter was trapped scenario.

What if the person with ebola that some are not wanting to restrict coming into the country was going to come in contact with THIER daughter ?

Derrek

Righty in the left trap

Caring about everyone equally is scary.  The fact that my first responsibility is to my family, doesn't mean that I don't care about others.  The fact that I want to protect/defend my country first, doesn't mean that I don't care about other people in other lands.  But equally...... nope, not me.  Not even close.

I would be very concerned about my daughter.  But......and you're either missing, or ignoring the point that I've made a number of times now.....individual cases such as the odd stranded traveler are much easier to address, monitor, and handle in a safe, prudent manner than an open floodgate.  I'd simply like to see the floodgate closed.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Caring about everyone equally is scary.  The fact that my first responsibility is to my family, doesn't mean that I don't care about others.  The fact that I want to protect/defend my country first, doesn't mean that I don't care about other people in other lands.  But equally......nope, not me.  Not even close.

I would be very concerned about my daughter.  But......and you're either missing, or ignoring the point that I've made a number of times now.....individual cases such as the odd stranded traveler are much easier to address, monitor, and handle in a safe, prudent manner than an open floodgate.  I'd simply like to see the floodgate closed.

X2 !

Derrek

Righty in the left trap

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsc123

1. Ebola

2. Liberalism

These are the main two deadly diseases we have to worry about now. can't predict the future like some

My statement is no more ridiculous than the what if your daughter was trapped scenario.

What if the person with ebola that some are not wanting to restrict coming into the country was going to come in contact with THIER daughter ?

Please lighten up and stop going OT with political rhetoric.  This thread is about ebola.  You continually try to conduct a political argument in every thread you enter regardless of topic.

Scott

My Swing Thread

Quote:
Banning air travel..........(Special flights screened and monitored by qualified personnel)..............Commercial flights as normal.

Lots of space in between.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsc123 View Post

Agreed.

I'm a tad bit more of a hardliner with what would fill my gap but maybe we could figure something out that we could agree on...Of course that doesn't happen often in Washington these days so...?

Note: This thread is 3387 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!