IGNORED

Adjusting Forged vs. Cast Irons

Note: This thread is 3432 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The only advantage, which was big for me, is the ability to change the lie angle readily. The sound is a little different and the face is a tiny bit less hot, but that's about it.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The only advantage, which was big for me, is the ability to change the lie angle readily.

The sound is a little different and the face is a tiny bit less hot, but that's about it.

Why would you be changing lie angle after you've already been fit?

[QUOTE name="Lihu" url="/t/78508/adjusting-forged-vs-cast-irons/18#post_1082990"] The only advantage, which was big for me, is the ability to change the lie angle readily. The sound is a little different and the face is a tiny bit less hot, but that's about it.[/QUOTE] Why would you be changing lie angle after you've already been fit?

My swing was not established. I tended to be more vertical. As I gained more flexibility, I needed a flatter lie angle. At this point, I have about 2-3 degrees flat depending upon the club. I imagine that in the future I will need to get fitted properly for best launch conditions, but for now it's just for helping with my swing.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

[QUOTE name="Jakester23" url="/t/78508/adjusting-forged-vs-cast-irons#post_1082980"]   So your saying if I go buy a nice set of forged blades I won't hit perfect 5 yard draws? :doh: [/QUOTE] LOL. :-) I'm saying that people have to stop giving newcomers to the game misinformation.

But why? Its traditional. If I hit clubs with lots of offset, I will hit straighter. It pisses me off to admit it, but I could lay money on certain shots.

Tom R.

TM R1 on a USTv2, TM 3wHL on USTv2, TM Rescue 11 in 17,TM udi #3, Rocketbladez tour kbs reg, Mack Daddy 50.10,54.14,60.14, Cleveland putter

[QUOTE name="Lihu" url="/t/78508/adjusting-forged-vs-cast-irons/18#post_1082990"] The only advantage, which was big for me, is the ability to change the lie angle readily. The sound is a little different and the face is a tiny bit less hot, but that's about it.[/QUOTE] Why would you be changing lie angle after you've already been fit?

I heard he hits the ball soo hard that he has to check and adjust twice a season.

Tom R.

TM R1 on a USTv2, TM 3wHL on USTv2, TM Rescue 11 in 17,TM udi #3, Rocketbladez tour kbs reg, Mack Daddy 50.10,54.14,60.14, Cleveland putter

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakester23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

The only advantage, which was big for me, is the ability to change the lie angle readily.

The sound is a little different and the face is a tiny bit less hot, but that's about it.

Why would you be changing lie angle after you've already been fit?

I heard he hits the ball soo hard that he has to check and adjust twice a season.

That's "the other guy".

(quoting Dr. Banner, of course) :-$

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

A teaching pro I have worked with has this advice: Get clubs for the swing you have right now, not the swing you might have in the future.

TP, your remark needs a bit of explaining. Anyone who understands the golf swing can hit a basic fade or draw with almost any iron. If you want to add in flighting the ball up or down, then forged irons - which tend to be made for the swings of better golfers - might be useful.

But not all forged irons are Players clubs.  Consider the Nike VRS Forged (2012) and VRS Covert Forged (2014), both GI irons.

Would you put the AP2's in the category of forged GI irons?

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

No. Great irons, and certainly more forgiving than blades, but definitely not GI.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

No. Great irons, and certainly more forgiving than blades, but definitely not GI.

AP1's are cast, right? Are they considered GI?

Christian

AP1's are cast, right? Are they considered GI?

The method of manufacture (cast vs forged) is irrelevant, but yes, much more so than the 2's....

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

@RFKFREAK if you wanted a forgiving forged club I would look at the Mizuno JPX line or Callaway Apex.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

I'm honestly not sure. ...

• The AP2.714 has a Maltby Playability Factor (MPF) = 517. (For what it's worth, Titleist touts these as "multimaterial forged irons."
  • The CB Forged 714 has MPF = 494.

The difference between the two is negligible.  Both are in the upper end of the Maltby Conventional range, just below the Maltby's Game Improvement.

The Golf Digest Hot List, however , categorizes both the AP2 and the CB as Players irons.

I would concur. While I have had respectable results with the Cleveland 588 TT and the Callaway XHot Pro, I have never been able to hit the different AP2 versions with any consistency. AP1 flies well, but AP2 makes me look like - well - a 23 HDCP.

RFKFREAK #2. ..

Hot List considers the cast AP1 as GI irons, Maltby as Super Game Improvement MPF = 781.

(Maltby rates GI, SGI and UGI categories, so Maltby's SGI catches the upper end of the Hot List GI category.)

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

@RFKFREAK if you wanted a forgiving forged club I would look at the Mizuno JPX line or Callaway Apex.

The major reason I was thinking forged was because I haven't developed what I think is a consistent swing yet so I thought by getting forged irons now, should I get to the point in a year or two where I've developed a consistent, good swing, and I need to make changes to the irons that I'd be able to. To be honest, when I was saving money for irons this year I was looking at the the 714 AP1 because it's less than $1k and I like the look.

Christian

I'm honestly not sure. ... [LIST] [*] The AP2.714 has a Maltby Playability Factor (MPF) = 517. (For what it's worth, Titleist touts these as "multimaterial forged irons." [*] The CB Forged 714 has MPF = 494. [/LIST] The difference between the two is negligible.  Both are in the upper end of the Maltby Conventional range, just below the Maltby's Game Improvement. The Golf Digest Hot List, however , categorizes both the AP2 and the CB as Players irons. I would concur. While I have had respectable results with the Cleveland 588 TT and the Callaway XHot Pro, I have never been able to hit the different AP2 versions with any consistency. AP1 flies well, but AP2 makes me look like - well - a 23 HDCP. RFKFREAK #2. .. Hot List considers the cast AP1 as GI irons, Maltby as Super Game Improvement MPF = 781. (Maltby rates GI, SGI and UGI categories, so Maltby's SGI catches the upper end of the Hot List GI category.)

Yeah, the Maltby's Conventional range that I saw lists HC's from 0-14 which I surely am not so the AP2's would bring me more harm than good. With my HC being just shy of 31, I'm wondering whether the AP1's would be a good idea because even though they're in the middle of the Super Game Improvement range, it might be better to get irons that are in the Ultra Game Improvement range.

Christian

I've never been a fan of Mizuno in the past, but the JPX line does look nice. I see double digit handicappers all the time with irons I would never think of playing. The game is hard enough as it is. Get a club that will help you. There's no shame in getting forgiving clubs, especially when you beat your playing partner's a$$.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

Yeah, the Maltby's Conventional range that I saw lists HC's from 0-14 which I surely am not so the AP2's would bring me more harm than good.

With my HC being just shy of 31, I'm wondering whether the AP1's would be a good idea because even though they're in the middle of the Super Game Improvement range, it might be better to get irons that are in the Ultra Game Improvement range.

AP1's or JPX-850's would be great options, both are cast.  The JPX-850 Forged are a bit less forgiving, but as their name states, they are forged.  I have played the JPX-825's and 712 AP1's and liked them both.

I would suggest you try narrowing down your options and then go hit them all to see which you like best.  I wouldn't get too caught up in Maltby ratings as it's only a guide.  I can tell you that I started out with Diablo Edge irons because they were SGI and that's what everyone told me I "needed" as a new golfer and I hated them.  I hated how they looked and felt but bought them because I was told I "needed" SGI irons.

Your swing and game will progress regardless of which iron you purchase as long as you take lessons and work on your swing.  Buy something that you like looking down at and you feel comfortable holding and don't worry as much about what handicap they are targeted at (though I'd avoid blades for now).

Joe Paradiso

LOL. :-) I'm saying that people have to stop giving newcomers to the game misinformation.

There was an article on Yahoo yesterday about the cat in your profile. Just in case you haven't seen it. http://finance.yahoo.com/news/29-old-waitress-then-she-153700526.html;_ylt=AwrSyCSwA4dUpSAAPhfQtDMD

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

[quote name="mvmac" url="/t/78508/adjusting-forged-vs-cast-irons/18#post_1083477"] @RFKFREAK if you wanted a forgiving forged club I would look at the Mizuno JPX line or Callaway Apex.

I've never been a fan of Mizuno in the past, but the JPX line does look nice. I see double digit handicappers all the time with irons I would never think of playing. The game is hard enough as it is. Get a club that will help you. There's no shame in getting forgiving clubs, especially when you beat your playing partner's a$$.[/quote]Bravo!. This is the essence of golf.

Tom R.

Note: This thread is 3432 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!