IGNORED

The catch-all swing video editing thread - tips and techniques

nevets88
Note: This thread is 2143 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
I'm sorry, but as a former IT person saying that a particular version of a product doesn't work well with a certain operating system IMO isn't a waste of time.

"I'll be the first to say that for Windows people Apple products suck. Quicktime Pro is marginal"

That's not what you said that prompted my response. You didn't even limit it to saying Apple software .

So… back to the topic please.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 1 month later...

Anyone know about RowVid? Here's a video of Rory swinging on YouTube that you can view through RowVid...

http://rowvid.com/?v=qir6STNfJec

Apparently you can plug in any youtube video, and it allows you to view frame by frame of at different speeds (1/4, 1/2, etc).

Is there another way to watch people's swing videos frame by frame that is easier? To use this while viewing people's swings would entail:

1. Clicking the YouTube link on the bottom right of people's swing videos here. (moving to YouTube)

2. Copying the URL to the clipboard.

3. Shifting to http://rowvid.com

4. Pasting in the YouTube link.

Works, but a bit clunky.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Rory's vid is really good at twice speed.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

• 1 year later...

OS X Quicktime - I don't know how I didn't learn this sooner. If you have 3 swings in a video and you want to trim the start and end of each one, you can move the slider to where you want to split out each swing and do edit > split clip, select each clip to trim the ends (you'll get a yellow outline on clicking), so in one fell swoop, with a video of three or actually any number of swings and you can edit out the walking to and from the camera working with just one file.

• Upvote 3

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

I use MovieMaker to trim my iPhone videos and eliminate the sound, before uploading to YouTube. Since that's all I really need to do, it works well enough.

It also lets you easily view frame-by-frame and capture snapshots.

I will use Adobe Premiere if I need to adjust brightness or something like that, but it's rare.

- John

16 hours ago, Hardspoon said:

I use MovieMaker to trim my iPhone videos and eliminate the sound, before uploading to YouTube. Since that's all I really need to do, it works well enough.

It also lets you easily view frame-by-frame and capture snapshots.

I will use Adobe Premiere if I need to adjust brightness or something like that, but it's rare.

You can trim and upload to YT right in the Photos app, actually, it's scary how fast you can do it. 

Video is so easy now, it boggles me why more don't use it. Maybe I'm comparing to how it used to be, which was a pain in the butt.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

44 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

You can trim and upload to YT right in the Photos app, actually, it's scary how fast you can do it. 

I'll use that as a "first pass" to reduce the size of the videos on my phone, but I like the control of the desktop software (plus I like to remove sound).

I also view them frame-by-frame to create snapshots, which I like doing on the larger monitor and desktop.

- John

20 hours ago, Hardspoon said:

I'll use that as a "first pass" to reduce the size of the videos on my phone, but I like the control of the desktop software (plus I like to remove sound).

I also view them frame-by-frame to create snapshots, which I like doing on the larger monitor and desktop.

You definitely miss some nuance on the small screen, always a good thing to view again on a proper monitor. More than a few times, I say to myself I didn't notice that when looking at a larger video.

Steve

• 5 months later...

This is sort of on topic. When you're videoing on a hot sunny day and reviewing video and camera is on tripod, you can use your towel as cover. One, it shields you from the sun. Two, it makes it easier to review the video because you have a makeshift umbrella shade. Three, it keeps the camera from catching more heat from the sun. I've been doing this for awhile, just remembering to mention it here on the thread.

You might look funny doing it, but you're not being belted by the sun and you see the video better. 

I got the idea from Band of Brothers, when Major Winters puts a raincoat over himself while reading a map at night after they land in occupied France. Don't want the light to give your position away to the enemy.

• Upvote 1

Steve

24 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

This is sort of on topic. When you're videoing on a hot sunny day and reviewing video and camera is on tripod, you can use your towel as cover. One, it shields you from the sun. Two, it makes it easier to review the video because you have a makeshift umbrella shade. Three, it keeps the camera from catching more heat from the sun. I've been doing this for awhile, just remembering to mention it here on the thread.

You might look funny doing it, but you're not being belted by the sun and you see the video better. 

I got the idea from Band of Brothers, when Major Winters puts a raincoat over himself while reading a map at night after they land in occupied France. Don't want the light to give your position away to the enemy.

Steve at the range:

Old Photographers.jpg

• Upvote 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

8 minutes ago, billchao said:

Steve at the range:

Old Photographers.jpg

That's pretty much it. :-P

Steve

• 11 months later...

If you want to load 4K video to YouTube from an iPhone, you can't do it from Photos. You have to create a project in iMovies and when you upload it, there is a 4K option.

I think if you upload 4K to Vimeo, it's automatic.

Steve

Note: This thread is 2143 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!