IGNORED

What was your memorable shot of 2014?

Jakester23
Note: This thread is 3392 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

At the Residence Tunis Golf Course October

N° 2 / Par 3 / 155 Yards to the pin / Water front, then 3 bunkers around the green (left, front right, back) / green 11 Y deep - 25 Y wide / up hill.

Match Play 4 Balls (A friend of the other team hit perfect shot less than 2 yards left of the pin, my partner was way right (10 or 11 yards) (Pin is middle right)

1st Shot : 8 Iron ....... Way far too long...... in the back bunker

2nd Shot : Back Bunker Horrible lie almost invisible ball pluged in, 18  feet to the pin, down hill all the way 3 to 4  feet.

I asked my partner to put back the pin into the hole, as i told them i would hit a tough straight shot and try to hit the flag to stay close to the hole... "there was really no way to get out and stay on the green from where i was with this horrible lie" ...(everybody laughed out loud, even me lol)

And i did it just as mentioned, with a lot , lot, lot of luck of course :o) Hit Straight on the ball with a really strong vertical swing.... flight straight to the pin... hit the pin at 2 feet hight... and BINGO in to the hole. .... 2 UP for our team (as they missed the put, maybe upset by so much luck...)

Not to mention that if did not hit the pin, i would have ended far away from the green or into the front bunker...;o)

I was out with the other mid-atlantic TST'ers early in the year. Par 3 and I fatted the tee shot...ever see the ball leaving like it's on a magic carpet? One made of grass? Anyway, now I'm not even to the forward tees on a down hill lie with 141 to the green. Optimistically I tell the guys "There's more than one way to make a par!". The shot doesn't leave the stick, hitting the flag about 3 feet up and ending up about 8 or so feet away. Made the putt for a memorable par.

Why do they call golf "golf"?  Because all the other four letter words were taken.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I eagled two par 4's.  First was a straight drivable par 4 (if you can avoid the trees and bunkers).  I was greenside right and chipped in.  The second was a little more exciting; short par 4 dog leg right, forced carry over trees and water if you want to go for it.  The one and only time I ever made it over the trees I made the green...10 foot putt for eagle!

It would have to be my second shot into #16 at Oakland Hills playing with @missitnoonan . My drive was pushed right into the heavy rough, but short of the water. I muscled through as much as I could, but the ball came out low with a ton of top spin. It was heading for the water and clearly wouldn't clear the stone wall on the other side even if it skipped. I kid you not, the ball plunged into the water making a ker-ploop sound, then jumped up out of the water, over the (2 - 3') wall into the fairway short of the green. I've never seen anything like it, and doubt I ever will again. We looked to see if there was a rock that it could have bounced off of, but there was nothing.

:loco:

Honorable mention was a near ace playing with @Jeremie Boop and @missitnoonan at Echo Hills.

- Shane

A 159 yard "eagle" shot from the fairway, which was part of my lowest round of the year, a 76 !

Thomas Gralinski, 2458080

It would have to be my second shot into #16 at Oakland Hills playing with @missitnoonan. My drive was pushed right into the heavy rough, but short of the water. I muscled through as much as I could, but the ball came out low with a ton of top spin. It was heading for the water and clearly wouldn't clear the stone wall on the other side even if it skipped. I kid you not, the ball plunged into the water making a ker-ploop sound, then jumped up out of the water, over the (2 - 3') wall into the fairway short of the green. I've never seen anything like it, and doubt I ever will again. We looked to see if there was a rock that it could have bounced off of, but there was nothing.

Honorable mention was a near ace playing with @Jeremie Boop and @missitnoonan at Echo Hills.

I'm still calling BS BTW.  The most improbable defiance of physics I have ever seen.  That ball should still be at the bottom of that lake!  And the wall was more like 18-20" tall, not 3'  Lucky jerk! :censored:

I guess my most memorable shot from 2014 was at Salt Fork State Park.  #15, Par 3 uphill into the wind.  Playing about 200 yards.  Nailed a 3 wood to about 2' for a tap in birdie.  I normally hate that hole.  Guess the golf gods were smiling on me at that time.  Played the same hole the next day - double bogey!

Honorable mention #2, Ross Bridge RTJ course in Birmingham, AL.  Couldn't hit a driver - can you believe it @Carl Spackler , downhill dogleg left. Hit a pure 5 wood through the dogleg, splintered the fairway between two bunkers to a flip wedge into the green.  Missed the 5' birdie putt :pound:

~Billy

:mizuno:  :tmade:  :callaway: :odyssey:   :footjoy:  :clicgear:

Don't sell yourself short judge - you're a tremendous slouch!!!

My favorite hole on my usual course is a short, dogleg left 460 yard par 5. After a nice drive, I had about 210 to the middle and 220 to the pin on the back of the long narrow green. I hit a persimmon 3 wood with a little draw that carried the green and rolled up pin high about 12 feet right of the stick. From there, I managed to get down in 3 for a par :(!

Same hole, different day. I was in the woods to the left of the green, about 130 with the angle I had. I was on pine straw with about a 20 foot gap, and a 5 iron was the most loft I could use and stay under the branches. I hit a low punch draw that hit the green. It was a "TV shot", and my playing partners applauded. Way beyond my talent, but hey, the blind hog finds the occasional ear of corn.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Set of three shots, actually. Playing a course in Bangkok, Thailand, for the first time. Landed off the tee deep in trees on the right of the fairway 3 times during the round. Each time there was a little gap in the foliage "roof" to allow me to play to the green (or, on one par 5, to set up the approach from the fairway). Had to use a different club in each situation (6 iron, 9 iron and pitching wedge) to get the desired elevation and distance. Worked perfectly each time. (We won't talk about the three pushed drives that put me in the trees in the first place, or the rest of the round, which included another par five where I managed to put three consecutive shots (drive, long iron and wedge) into the water lining the hole on the right!). But that's typical of (my) golf - a lot of it terrible, buth in every round you have a couple of those dream shots which - as someone else posted here - are the ones that keep you coming back!

The most memorable golf shot from 2014 was the last tee shot, of the last round I played,  going so far left that it would make Newt Gingrich cry!  I decided to not play anymore until this year,2015.

I have several things to work on. Mostly developing a better "impact" position, weight shift improvement, and not hitting it fat.

1) A chip in for eagle. downhill lie in the rough, flag at 15 yards about, 3 yards of downhill break. à huge string of roll and break finishing smack in the middle of the cup.

A 550 yard par 5 at bezier south of france, the first hole. huge drive with the wind i'm practically in the corner (usually cut with second shot). from about 250 yards i play a 19° hybride that really feels compressed and is drawed straight. I dont know if I pitched the green, before or after yet the ball is behind the green in thick rough. chip in.

2) seconde shot, a 220 yard hybride punched on par 5 18th hole in french regional championships. pitches 6-8 yard before the flag and finishes 2 yards before the flag. nobody held this green. eagle in on the putt.

3) play off match play same regional championship. I lead  by 1 on the 14th and hit a safe 3 wood i hook in a FW bunker. the opponent hits a huge drive about 70 yards to the pin. he cuts the right dog leg perfect, I finished way far left.

about 20 inches from the lip I decide a mini 1/2 back swing and follow though for good contact at 130 yards with my PW instead of an agressive 52° shot.

the ball flies so well i'm 3 yards behind the pin. the guy SW inside that. I putt in he misses. from that point he was over in his head and my team stays in 3rd league.

On a par 4 I drove to almost to 150 marker, I'm on a hill, that drops off a short cliff and over a creek to the short fairway and green. I checkled my golf logix and said 174 to center of green. Hit a 5 iron drooping the ball a foot in front of the hole and it rolled in for an eagle.

Got up and down from a bunker about 100 yds out for par. This might be cake for some of you but it was one of the first times I hit a shot and felt like I was playing a video game. 'Twas the 9th hole on The Pelham Bay course in the Bronx btw. Short par 5.

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 10*

Wood: Callaway Epic Flash 17* 

Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 20*

Irons: Callaway Rogue X 5i-GW

Wedges: Vokey SM8 54*S and 58*K

Putter: Ping Prime Tyne 4

Two putted a 100 foot double breaker putt.

Bob

WITB

Driver:                         Ping I25 10.5 PWR65 stiff Flex

Fairway Woods:          Ping TiSi Tec 3, 5 and 7 graphite Cushin stiff flex

Irons:                         Pinhawk SL 5-PW 37.25 inches 

Wedges:                     Reid Lockhart 52 and 60 quad bounce, 56 dual bounce 

Putter:                        Boccieri Heavy Putter B3-M (250 gram back weight)

Ball:                            MG C4 / Wilson Duo

Grips:                         Winn DriTac midsize Blue

• 2 weeks later...

I hooked up with a random twosome one weekday.  After going even par on the first two holes, I got really dialed in and hit the approach on #3 to 4 feet, #4 to 1 foot, #5 to 1 foot, #6 to 4 feet, and hit the next long par-5 #7 in two.  I hit a terrible shot to 15 feet on the par-3 8th and hit the next approach on #9 to less than 2 feet from 150.  The guys were just really shocked and silent except to keep asking "What's your handicap again?".  That run was pretty memorable to me.  More so for the missed 4-footers, though, unfortunately.

Day before Christmas eve, I was out in the freezing drizzle with my two boys.  #2 at Crystal Falls is a 164 yard par-3 from the blues with a significant elevation drop.  I took 9-iron into the wind, took a hair off of it and played a baby cut.  The shot was so pure, I knew it was going to be good the moment I struck it.  It started looking really good in the air.  Most of my shots are at least slightly left, right, long or short, but this one looked like it was going to split the top of the flagstick.  It seemed perfectly in line left-right and long-short.  It landed 4 inches past the cup and bounced straight back into the cup.  I shouted "Hole in one!  Hole in one!", but my kids didn't know what that meant and the only other people around were some construction guys a half-mile away.  My youngest son said, "Did you get a birdie?"  I said, "No.  I got an eagle!"  He was excited to pull the ball out of the cup when we got down to the green.  The next hole, I was so amped I duck-hooked the ball into the woods.  Kept the scorecard, though.

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

When I drove this green at bobby jones golf course in atlanta. Hit it to 15 ft and sank the eagle putt. The guy I was playing with said it was the best shot he'd ever seen, and it may be the best one I ever hit!

Last hole of a match tied with my buddy. Pulled a drive into a FW bunker. Had 165 left. Had to hit a big draw around a tree and over a creek to a back left pin from a so so bunker lie. Pulled it off and hit it to about 4 feet. made the putt to win and got a free dinner out of it.

Put the approach shot in the jar from 119 yards out on a 390 yard par 4.  The ball took a couple hops from about the fringe, and rolled right into the hole.  I was playing in a scramble, and we used another guy's drive, so it was an eagle for the team even though it wasn't an eagle for me.

Two great shots resulting in 1 foot kick ins come to mind ...

- 9i from 134 yds at Great Gorge

- 4i from 178 yds at Architects (fairly epic as it happened with a cold ball in 40 degree weather into the wind)

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Note: This thread is 3392 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!