IGNORED

My Swing (GolfLug)

GolfLug

Your nickname shall be Piano Man from now on. Are you still working on the same piece?

• Funny 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

21 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

Your nickname shall be Piano Man from now on. Are you still working on the same piece?

Can I be called Carnival Man?  I am working on my shoulder turn not being a merry-go-round, or a ferris wheel.  But more of a tilt-a-whirl.

Funny terms, but I'm serious here.  Those provide good visualizations.  Like Hogan's pane of glass.

Edited by Double Mocha Man

(edited)
16 hours ago, boogielicious said:

Your nickname shall be Piano Man from now on. 

Sure..as long as Billy J doesn't demand royalties. Ha.

16 hours ago, boogielicious said:

Are you still working on the same piece?

Yes - width. The weeklong excursion at SV made me realize even more how much I need to continue working on it. 

I admit to having a 100 conflicting/competing swing thoughts but I am hoping those will fade over time. Goal would be I set up over the ball, align, get comfortable, think "WIDTH" and go. 

16 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Can I be called Carnival Man?  I am working on my shoulder turn not being a merry-go-round, or a ferris wheel.  But more of a tilt-a-whirl.

Funny terms, but I'm serious here.  Those provide good visualizations.  Like Hogan's pane of glass.

IMO, images work fine but you gotta have a fairly mature mechanical swing to sustain it. Even then time to time an image/visual will misguide you. So if you recognize it will fool/betray you eventually or at least you gotta recalibrate it then it is great. I think similar along lines of 'feel ain't real' YMMV. 

Edited by GolfLug
  • Thumbs Up 1

Vishal S.

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)

Finally feels like my range of misses is narrowing. Manged to get 8 par putts out of nine.. made 4. 

A good on course swing thought set has been tall structure with rounded back and then hinge up left shoulder to chin to ensure some width.

Edited by GolfLug

Vishal S.

• Administrator
24 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

Finally feels like my range of misses is narrowing. Manged to get 8 par putts out of nine.. made 4. 

A good on course swing thought set has been tall structure with rounded back and then hinge up left shoulder to chin to ensure some width.

W-I-D-T-H. 😄

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 4 weeks later...

Slightly weakened left hand grip and ZERO thumb pressure seems to allow me to get wider a lot easier than my ultra strong grip. Still pretty strong but my hands are now setting consistently further away from me at A3 than they ever have.

I played with this last two weekends and had a lot of confidence come back especially much needed relief for my driver. 

Edited by GolfLug
  • Thumbs Up 1

Vishal S.

• 3 weeks later...

Scores last 4 rounds - 80, 83, 83, 82. Driver fairly steady other than odd pull draws. Feel is width, softness in hands, arms, deep hands takeaway, staying softly focused on ball for head steadiness, soft lead knee and a 'patient' downswing. Rest of the game has been holding up ok. 

Still a lot of swing golf but thought range getting narrower. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Vishal S.

So had another good round yesterday. Hit all but two fairways  Lost two drives in midst of a solid driving day and paid full price. Later I realized that the difference was I had braced my trail foot for a 'stratosphere launch' on both those drives vs all other drives. Lol. Anyway corrected it mid round, went back to swinging with patience and finished well with an 81. 

IMHO, pushing off trail foot or GRF to hit 'up on the ball', is a bunch a bullshit. Not that I was purposefully setting up that way but subconsciously I was setting up to swell up. Ha. I just fall back and hit a directionless shame ball when I try to hit off an overly braced trail side. Ball flight is markedly better when torso glides over trail hip/leg and through. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Vishal S.

(edited)
1 hour ago, GolfLug said:

IMHO, pushing off trail foot or GRF to hit 'up on the ball', is a bunch a bullshit.

Sorry for the double post, but for clarity, hitting with a positive AOA is not BS... Overusing 'GRF'/hitting off an over-braced trail side is. I think a recipe for stalled turn/goat humping.

Edited by GolfLug

Vishal S.

Playing well enough to like golf a bit more lately but camera kept telling me that I haven't made any real change. It took me an hour of recording and deleting to get to this one. Everything else looks like the same old garbage.  Throwing hands as far back as possible is not changing anything it seems. Not sure why I couldn't get wide even for a practice no ball swing after 4-5 mins of super slow reps.

This seems like a small stride forward. @iacas let me know if you agree. The feel is to let hips and chest open to the camera so the trail arm freely goes out and wide. 

Vishal S.

On 4/24/2021 at 8:55 AM, GolfLug said:

This is frustrating work... Hah.

Playing well enough to like golf a bit more lately but camera kept telling me that I haven't made any real change. It took me an hour of recording and deleting to get to this one. Everything else looks like the same old garbage.  Throwing hands as far back as possible is not changing anything it seems. Not sure why I couldn't get wide even for a practice no ball swing after 4-5 mins of super slow reps.

This seems like a small stride forward. @iacas let me know if you agree. The feel is to let hips and chest open to the camera so the trail arm freely goes out and wide. 

IMHO, there is improvement. I’ll bet a FOV would be more helpful to show that as well.

• Thumbs Up 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

On 10/11/2021 at 5:47 PM, GolfLug said:

Scores last 4 rounds - 80, 83, 83, 82. Driver fairly steady other than odd pull draws. Feel is width, softness in hands, arms, deep hands takeaway, staying softly focused on ball for head steadiness, soft lead knee and a 'patient' downswing. 

Good scores - that’s a lot to think about during the swing. 🤯

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

31 minutes ago, woodzie264 said:

Good scores - that’s a lot to think about during the swing. 🤯

Thanks and I know. Majority of these are not 'worded' thoughts but is about keeping all joints soft through the swing and the soft focus is about keeping centered pivot as much as possible. While swing is not great, and width is still a work in progress, these allow me to play manageable golf. 

Vishal S.

1 minute ago, GolfLug said:

these allow me to play manageable golf. 

Low 80’s is better than “manageable golf” to me…that’s enjoyable golf. Keep up the good work. 

• Thumbs Up 1

-Jonny

• Administrator

That's much better. Stop "raising up" and it'll be even better.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

(edited)
34 minutes ago, iacas said:

That's much better. Stop "raising up" and it'll be even better.

Yes, seems like a by product of stalled rotation and then failing to maintain lateral bend. Adding a bit of rotational stretch in my morning routine. I can hear my crusty ribs creak. Ha.

Edited by GolfLug
  • Thumbs Up 1

Vishal S.

So same feels - open hips and chest to camera to get as wide as I can but seems like this raising up at A4 shit is stubborn. Turn through and exit are okayish so meh.. 

BTW, this Cally Apex 18 deg is a lot of fun to train with. Doesn't tolerate half ass swings. Lol.

• Thumbs Up 1

Vishal S.