IGNORED

I guess I should ease up on jogging...

Yukari
Note: This thread is 3384 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-31095384

Quote:

Too much jogging may be as bad for you as not putting on your running shoes at all, a report in the Journal of the American College of Cardiology says.

Scientists studied more than 1,000 healthy joggers and non-joggers over a 12-year period.

Those who jogged at a steady pace for less than two and a half hours a week were least likely to die in this time.

But those who ran more than four hours a week or did no exercise had the highest death rates.

I typically run 5-7 miles/day 5 days a week (generally around 7-7.5 min/mile pace).  After reading this, I may have to cut down on jogging...

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

http://www.mensfitness.com/weight-loss/burn-fat-fast/weights-more-effective-cardio-fending-stomach-fat

Quote:

According to a 2014 Harvard School of Public Health study , published in the journal Obesity, lifting is more effective for maintaining a flat stomach than running or cycling , especially for middle-aged men, the Huffington Post reports .

Researchers studied the physical activity, waist circumference, and body weight of nearly 11,000 healthy American men age 40 and over. After comparing the participants’ change in activity levels over a 12-year period, they analyzed which activities had the greatest effect on their waistlines.

Men who spent 20 minutes of daily weight training gained less abdominal fat as they aged, compared with men who spent the same time hitting the pavement or pushing pedals. The key, though, is not to become sedentary after losing the weight .

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmac View Post

http://www.mensfitness.com/weight-loss/burn-fat-fast/weights-more-effective-cardio-fending-stomach-fat

Quote:

According to a 2014 Harvard School of Public Health study , published in the journal Obesity, lifting is more effective for maintaining a flat stomach than running or cycling , especially for middle-aged men, the Huffington Post reports .

Researchers studied the physical activity, waist circumference, and body weight of nearly 11,000 healthy American men age 40 and over. After comparing the participants’ change in activity levels over a 12-year period, they analyzed which activities had the greatest effect on their waistlines.

Men who spent 20 minutes of daily weight training gained less abdominal fat as they aged, compared with men who spent the same time hitting the pavement or pushing pedals. The key, though, is not to become sedentary after losing the weight .

You can also arrange your weight workouts to minimize time between sets to keep your heart rate up.  My routine involves moving from exercises with very little time.  If I repeat an exercise, it is usually in a circuit, so I give the muscle group time to recover.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Quote:
Analysing questionnaires filled out by all the people in the Danish study, scientists concluded the ideal pace was about 5mph (8km/h) and that it was best to jog no more than three times a week or for 2.5 hours in total.

I hardly think looking at questionnaires is a robust way to determine an "ideal" pace.  They also refer to 7mph as an intense pace (that's around 8.5 minute miles...not really an intense pace for even an average runner).  If your routine is working well, I don't think you should change it based on this article.

Note: This thread is 3384 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!