IGNORED

TST Interviews The Dan Plan (Dan McLaughlin) - You Get to Ask the Questions

mchepp
Note: This thread is 3326 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I dunno, it's kind of like asking he said she said. It's done and over with, can't undo or redo it, imho we should just move on and focus on the future. We all make mistakes, I know I certainly did with regards to trying to find a good pro.

Finding quality instruction is hard. One needs to network to find it. Dan wasted the first part of his golf journey. I'm on my fourth instructor. Hopefully we start next week. Knee and Physical Therapist cooperating.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

We need to clear Christopher's name!

I had two instructors before finding Mike, and neither of them told me to start off putting and chipping.

In fact, the second instructor told me to do stuff that I am only now figuring out was the right thing, I just wasn't ready for that information back then.

A good instructor knows what you ultimately need to do, the battle is gauging how much can the student absorb in the present.

Here is an interview with Christopher and Dan talking about the plan nearer to the beginning.

About 2 min in Christopher and Dan outline the start of the plan.

Michael

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

Quote:

Originally Posted by nevets88

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by mchepp

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil McGleno

Ask him if he regrets not getting quality instruction from the outset.

I think this is a tough question. Consider when he started he first went to a highly respected teacher in Oregon. Christopher Smith was at one time the teacher of the year from the Oregon PGA and is well respected. If you had just taken up the game you would think his credentials are excellent. Many of us who took up golf had to wonder around aimlessly before finding places like TST to discover where to get quality instruction.

Here is Chris's bio:

http://www.train2trust.com/AboutChristopher.aspx

I do plan to ask him if he should have spent more time studying the game on the internet before deciding on a plan of action.

You should try to interview Christopher as well to ask if he really suggested Dan to start off with 1 feet putts, or if Dan decided to do this on his own because he couldn't hit the ball at first?

I dunno, it's kind of like asking he said she said. It's done and over with, can't undo or redo it, imho we should just move on and focus on the future. We all make mistakes, I know I certainly did with regards to trying to find a good pro.

I had two instructors before finding Mike, and neither of them told me to start off putting and chipping.

In fact, the second instructor told me to do stuff that I am only now figuring out was the right thing, I just wasn't ready for that information back then.

A good instructor knows what you ultimately need to do, the battle is gauging how much can the student absorb in the present.

Let me rewrite what I said:  We all make mistakes, I know I certainly did with regards to finding pros that I work effectively with.

Based on this video, pro suggested it. How about this question: How would you have progressed with Dan Plan if he stayed on?

At 3:50 the instructor states "It's scary what he was told to do. . .He's not going on a golf course for a year. . ." (Not verbatim, you can listen to it too). It's clear to me it was not the instructors idea to putt around for a year. . .He also stated that most people take 10 years starting at 5. Which is what I've been stating for some time.

The above is off topic. What I really want to hear more from Dan is where he got these ideas? What made him think to do what he did?

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I think this is a tough question. Consider when he started he first went to a highly respected teacher in Oregon. Christopher Smith was at one time the teacher of the year from the Oregon PGA and is well respected. If you had just taken up the game you would think his credentials are excellent. Many of us who took up golf had to wonder around aimlessly before finding places like TST to discover where to get quality instruction.

Here is Chris's bio:

I do plan to ask him if he should have spent more time studying the game on the internet before deciding on a plan of action.

You should try to interview Christopher as well to ask if he really suggested Dan to start off with 1 feet putts, or if Dan decided to do this on his own because he couldn't hit the ball at first?

Let me rewrite what I said:  We all make mistakes, I know I certainly did with regards to finding pros that I work effectively with.

Based on this video, pro suggested it. How about this question: How would you have progressed with Dan Plan if he stayed on?

At 3:50 the instructor states "It's scary what he was told to do. . .He's not going on a golf course for a year. . ." (Not verbatim, you can listen to it too). It's clear to me it was not the instructors idea to putt around for a year. . .He also stated that most people take 10 years starting at 5. Which is what I've been stating for some time.

The above is off topic. What I really want to hear more from Dan is where he got these ideas? What made him think to do what he did?

He said: "It's scary he's gonna do what he's being told to do."  By the pro. Meaning most people don't listen to the pro when he said start from putts then go longer. That's the meaning I got. If it's the idea of a third party why don't they talk about third party? Acme Foundation claims so and so and so? It's implicitly implied it's from the pro. The video above from @mchepp further verifies it.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Here is Chris's bio:

He said: "It's scary he's gonna do what he's being told to do."  By the pro. Meaning most people don't listen to the pro when he said start from putts then go longer. That's the meaning I got. If it's the idea of a third party why don't they talk about third party? Acme Foundation claims so and so and so? It's implicitly implied it's from the pro. The video above from @mchepp further verifies it.

He must have been speaking in the third person then, because it sure didn't sound like he was the one suggesting it? It sounded more like someone else was suggesting it, and he was just going along with it?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

He must have been speaking in the third person then, because it sure didn't sound like he was the one suggesting it? It sounded more like someone else was suggesting it, and he was just going along with it?

@Lihu It's pretty clear from that video that the idea came from his instructor.

Quote:

@Lihu, you mis-heard. It's pretty clear from that video that the idea came from his instructor.

I suppose so, but it seems odd to be stating something like "You need to do so and so to get really good, and it's scary that you're doing what I'm telling you to do."

He also mentioned that Dan's goal is to become the best golfer that he can ever be, not a PGA pro. . .Unless, I misheard that as well?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

[QUOTE name="Big C" url="/t/80681/tst-interviews-the-dan-plan-dan-mclaughlin-you-get-to-ask-the-questions/36#post_1116783"]   [QUOTE name="Lihu" url="/t/80681/tst-interviews-the-dan-plan-dan-mclaughlin-you-get-to-ask-the-questions/36#post_1116770"]   He must have been speaking in the third person then, because it sure didn't sound like he was the one suggesting it? It sounded more like someone else was suggesting it, and he was just going along with it? [/QUOTE] @Lihu , you mis-heard. It's pretty clear from that video that the idea came from his instructor. [/QUOTE] I suppose so, but it seems odd to be stating something like "You need to do so and so to get really good, and it's scary that you're doing what I'm telling you to do." He also mentioned that Dan's goal is to become the best golfer that he can ever be, not a PGA pro. . .Unless, I misheard that as well?

As most teachers in any field will attest, most students don't do what they tell them to do. When asking to commit to something long term, even less likely. In the beginning of the video pro explicitly states Dan's goal to go pro.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big C

Quote:

@Lihu

, you mis-heard. It's pretty clear from that video that the idea came from his instructor.

I suppose so, but it seems odd to be stating something like "You need to do so and so to get really good, and it's scary that you're doing what I'm telling you to do."

He also mentioned that Dan's goal is to become the best golfer that he can ever be, not a PGA pro. . .Unless, I misheard that as well?

As most teachers in any field will attest, most students don't do what they tell them to do. When asking to commit to something long term, even less likely.

In the beginning of the video pro explicitly states Dan's goal to go pro.

At roughly 3:00 the pro that is sitting down with the coffee in hand tells the head pro (standing) that ". . .his (Dan's) goal is to get as good at golf as he possibly can. . ."

He did state later that they would get Dan to play like a pro from inside 10 feet. He can't hit the ball, but will be able to putt like a pro from inside 10 feet. He also stated that even a kid can get really good at putting. . .

I think the entire conversation was a little bit uncomfortable for both coaches, because they know how hard it is to make Dan's own stated goal?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

[QUOTE name="nevets88" url="/t/80681/tst-interviews-the-dan-plan-dan-mclaughlin-you-get-to-ask-the-questions/36#post_1116814"]   [QUOTE name="Lihu" url="/t/80681/tst-interviews-the-dan-plan-dan-mclaughlin-you-get-to-ask-the-questions/30#post_1116787"]   [QUOTE name="Big C" url="/t/80681/tst-interviews-the-dan-plan-dan-mclaughlin-you-get-to-ask-the-questions/36#post_1116783"]   [QUOTE name="Lihu" url="/t/80681/tst-interviews-the-dan-plan-dan-mclaughlin-you-get-to-ask-the-questions/36#post_1116770"]   He must have been speaking in the third person then, because it sure didn't sound like he was the one suggesting it? It sounded more like someone else was suggesting it, and he was just going along with it?[/QUOTE] @Lihu , you mis-heard. It's pretty clear from that video that the idea came from his instructor.[/QUOTE] I suppose so, but it seems odd to be stating something like "You need to do so and so to get really good, and it's scary that you're doing what I'm telling you to do." He also mentioned that Dan's goal is to become the best golfer that he can ever be, not a PGA pro. . .Unless, I misheard that as well?[/QUOTE] As most teachers in any field will attest, most students don't do what they tell them to do. When asking to commit to something long term, even less likely. In the beginning of the video pro explicitly states Dan's goal to go pro. [/QUOTE] At roughly 3:00 the pro that is sitting down with the coffee in hand tells the head pro (standing) that ". . .his (Dan's) goal is to get as good at golf as he possibly can. . ." He did state later that they would get Dan to play like a pro from inside 10 feet. He can't hit the ball, but will be able to putt like a pro from inside 10 feet. He also stated that even a kid can get really good at putting. . . I think the entire conversation was a little bit uncomfortable for both coaches, because they know how hard it is to make Dan's own stated goal?

Beginning. It's in there and explicit. Bottom line. He knew Dan's PgA Tour goal.

Steve

Just to put this to bed, it was totally the instructor's call. What he actually said is:

"He's probably not going to go on the golf.....This... this is a very unique project so, umm, it's scary but he's going to do what he's told to do, so he actually may not go on a golf course for, like, a year. Umm, he's going to be relegated to the putting green for months and months and months and months. And one of those putting greens might be ours......"

He is saying he is in charge (he's the one doing the "relegating"), he's calling the shots and his first decision is to keep Dan on the putting green for, in his words, "months and months and months and months." Seems to me like the instructor wanted to try something new. My opinion - barking mad decision given the proven fall off if effective learning or improvement in performance when you continue with one activity past a certain length of time. That's my opinion based on being an instructor in another field for practically my whole professional life. Instructor of the year you say...... ?

Pete Iveson

Quote:

Just to put this to bed, it was totally the instructor's call. What he actually said is:

"He's probably not going to go on the golf.....This... this is a very unique project so, umm, it's scary but he's going to do what he's told to do, so he actually may not go on a golf course for, like, a year. Umm, he's going to be relegated to the putting green for months and months and months and months. And one of those putting greens might be ours......"

He is saying he is in charge (he's the one doing the "relegating"), he's calling the shots and his first decision is to keep Dan on the putting green for, in his words, "months and months and months and months." Seems to me like the instructor wanted to try something new. My opinion - barking mad decision given the proven fall off if effective learning or improvement in performance when you continue with one activity past a certain length of time. That's my opinion based on being an instructor in another field for practically my whole professional life. Instructor of the year you say...... ?

True, but it was kind of an odd and uneasy conversation for the coach.

If you put on his hat and Dan walked up to you with this quest in mind, what would you say to him***? It's a tough situation for him, and I don't think he deserves this much of the blame or credit in Dan's mind. Of course, if Dan is able to get his HC down to scratch from his current 3.1 (verified by @pullfade ), I would say that is quite an accomplishment and he might get some of the credit.

There are three things he stated (not verbatim) that stick in my mind.

1) Dan can learn to putt like a pro

2) He also said that kids can learn to putt very well

3) After a year practicing putting, Dan can putt like a pro from 10 feet, he can't hit the ball , but he can putt like a pro from 10 feet.

***Another thought crossed my mind was that he could have been telling Dan that the only thing he could hope for was to be able to putt like a pro from inside 10 feet?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosevi

Quote:

If you put on his hat and Dan walked up to you with this quest in mind, what would you say to him***? It's a tough situation for him, and I don't think he deserves this much of the blame or credit in Dan's mind. Of course, if Dan is able to get his HC down to scratch from his current 3.1 (verified by @pullfade), I would say that is quite an accomplishment and he might get some of the credit.

3) After a year practicing putting, Dan can putt like a pro from 10 feet, he can't hit the ball, but he can putt like a pro from 10 feet.

***Another thought crossed my mind was that he could have been telling Dan that the only thing he could hope for was to be able to putt like a pro from inside 10 feet?

Sorry mate but he says in 6 months " Hopefully " Dan will be able to putt like a pro from close range but he won't be able to hit the ball ie it's not happened yet, this is right at the beginning. His plan is to put Dan on the putting green for months on end to get him to be able to putt like a pro from 2 feet, then 3 feet, then...... in the full knowledge that 6 months into the Plan Dan will not be able to hit the ball. That's his plan. I don't think it's a good one.

Pete Iveson

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosevi

Quote:

If you put on his hat and Dan walked up to you with this quest in mind, what would you say to him***? It's a tough situation for him, and I don't think he deserves this much of the blame or credit in Dan's mind. Of course, if Dan is able to get his HC down to scratch from his current 3.1 (verified by @pullfade), I would say that is quite an accomplishment and he might get some of the credit.

3) After a year practicing putting, Dan can putt like a pro from 10 feet, he can't hit the ball, but he can putt like a pro from 10 feet.

Sorry mate but he says in 6 months "Hopefully" Dan will be able to putt like a pro from close range but he won't be able to hit the ball ie it's not happened yet, this is right at the beginning. His plan is to put Dan on the putting green for months on end to get him to be able to putt like a pro from 2 feet, then 3 feet, then...... in the full knowledge that 6 months into the Plan Dan will not be able to hit the ball. That's his plan. I don't think it's a good one.

True, and agree with the rest. :-D

In my mind, the instructor already gave up on the possibility of Dan ever making the PGA tour and gave Dan some skill that he could "hopefully" come close to being a PGA pro.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Unless the purpose of this method was to discourage Dan from continuing with the plan.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Unless the purpose of this method was to discourage Dan from continuing with the plan.

That thought also crossed my mind.

This instructor is probably used to working with 15 year old near or scratch golfers with 10 years golf experience already behind them, as he alluded to in that video.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

I just think the instructor wanted to try something new, I don't think he was trying to 'de-rail' Dan's plan or kill his chances. I just personally don't think it was a great idea.

Pete Iveson

Two more questions:

At the end of the 6-9 years (an additional 2 to 5 years) or so that you might get to a very good level of golf, what are your plans if you do not reach the PGA Tour?

Do you plan to teach golf to others who wish to share your journey?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Note: This thread is 3326 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!