IGNORED

TST Interviews The Dan Plan (Dan McLaughlin) - You Get to Ask the Questions

mchepp
Note: This thread is 3326 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The theory of 10,000 hours is in reality, just a theory. And in this case.... [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/116204/] [/URL] While one can become highly proficient at a particular endeavor, such as golf for example, breaking beyond mere high proficiency into the elite ranks in 10,000 hrs is something of a pipe dream. There's ones basic athletic ability, finding competent instruction, and willingness to put in hours and hours of practice in addition to learning how to play the game. With the elite, there is "the gift." Dan will become highly proficient. Dan, how many tournaments can we look forward to seeing you participate in this year? The Oregon Amateur Championship is 6/22 - 6/27 and the deadline is 5/27. Are you planning to enter? How about the Oregon Men's Stroke Play Championship? Do you plan to play in the US Amateur Championship next year? And/or compete in the US Open as an amateur next year?

Gladwell revised his theory/idea in a New Yorker article awhile back. Said athletics doesn't apply or something like that. [quote name="RandallT" url="/t/80681/tst-interviews-the-dan-plan-dan-mclaughlin-you-get-to-ask-the-questions/60#post_1117709"][QUOTE name="DrvFrShow" url="/t/80681/tst-interviews-the-dan-plan-dan-mclaughlin-you-get-to-ask-the-questions/54#post_1117666"]   The theory of 10,000 hours is in reality, just a theory. And in this case.... [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/116204/] [/URL] While one can become highly proficient at a particular endeavor, such as golf for example, breaking beyond mere high proficiency into the elite ranks in 10,000 hrs is something of a pipe dream. There's ones basic athletic ability, finding competent instruction, and willingness to put in hours and hours of practice in addition to learning how to play the game. With the elite, there is "the gift." Dan will become highly proficient. Dan, how many tournaments can we look forward to seeing you participate in this year? The Oregon Amateur Championship is 6/22 - 6/27 and the deadline is 5/27. Are you planning to enter? How about the Oregon Men's Stroke Play Championship? Do you plan to play in the US Amateur Championship next year? And/or compete in the US Open as an amateur next year? [/QUOTE] How does Dan see the success or failure of his "plan" contribute to the debate about the validity of the "10,000 hours" theory?  If he succeeds (ha!), will it confirm the theory (or is one data point not enough)? If he fails, will it disprove anything? And if neither outcome means much, what was the point of it all? Was it a failed concept to begin with? or Didn't he originally "set out to prove the idea that it was possible?" If he fails, does he feel the burden of being the guy who disproved some prominent authors and academics? [/quote] I think the answer will contain either the word inspire or inspiration. Or both.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Sorry if this is too late but "why don't you post swing videos and your progression? "

Yes! I even planned to ask that earlier but got caught up in a discussion with @nevets88

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Quote:

Originally Posted by garybbq

Sorry if this is too late but "why don't you post swing videos and your progression? "

Yes! I even planned to ask that earlier but got caught up in a discussion with @nevets88

He does (YT) but not often & w/inconsistent camera placement. This has been asked before on his blog, no answers.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Yes it is too late. We met yesterday morning.

He does (YT) but not often & w/inconsistent camera placement. This has been asked before on his blog, no answers.

I asked him why some of the comments don't make it to the blog. He told me he has a neighbor that does a comic strip in a newspaper and his advice to Dan was to not pay attention to comments from people he doesn't know. I think that is a reasonable thing to do considering you have no idea the background of someone commenting. He said if he was going to take someones advice it would be over the phone or in person. He said he only approves comments that are from people he knows.

I cannot argue with that strategy.

Michael

I asked him why some of the comments don't make it to the blog. He told me he has a neighbor that does a comic strip in a newspaper and his advice to Dan was to not pay attention to comments from people he doesn't know. I think that is a reasonable thing to do considering you have no idea the background of someone commenting. He said if he was going to take someones advice it would be over the phone or in person. He said he only approves comments that are from people he knows.

Okay, but this limits his ability to gather information from all over the world. Strange way to do a blog. . .

In any case, looking forward to your writeup. It will be an interesting read. Thanks for going to this much effort to satisfy all our curiosity. :beer:

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

• Administrator

Uhm, I can. That's an incredibly stupid strategy.

He has a BLOG. He is soliciting public approval, public interest, public fascination, private donations, etc. He should be engaged with fans, not deleting or failing to publish their comments.

Now obviously not EVERY comment is publishable, and he has to exercise common sense, but only "people he knows?" Short-sighted.

• Upvote 2

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

@mchepp where is the interview?

I am converting the interview from what he said on to paper. Should take me a few more days then it will be in the Thrash Talk blog. Sorry it is taking so long. I have a regular job you know.

Michael

I am converting the interview from what he said on to paper. Should take me a few more days then it will be in the Thrash Talk blog. Sorry it is taking so long. I have a regular job you know.

I hear ya- sorry if it came off rude- it was more of a point me in the direction question and out of everyone here, I thought you were the guy to ask. I hope you got into tournament golf with him lol.

I didn't think it was rude. I was just trying to explain why it was taking so long. I said the working comment with a touch of sarcasm. I did ask about tournaments but the answer was very simple. He just doesn't have the money to be entering them. If it were up to him he would go down to Arizona in the winter and play in a bunch of them. But no funds. The financial aspect is a big issue to getting into more tournaments.

Michael

I just hope this interview doesn't end up being Dan just sticking to some canned, vague answers about how great the plan is going.

Sadly, I think that's exactly how he'll answer the questions.

Of course he will. He'll bag the "haters" and focus on the great progress he's made.

Bottom line:

You're going to be better than virtually every player on the Web.com and European Tours in a couple of years.

How will that happen?

It just gets more and more ridiculous.

He goes to Pebble Beach and sees at close range how good guys like Jason Day are.

Rather than saying "Gee, I may have bitten off more than I can chew here!" he responds by saying "I have to learn how to do what they do".

Had his goal been more modest, I would be pretty impressed with how far he has come.

Problem is, he only hears what he wants to hear.

If he is asked my question above in bold, he'll just say "You know, I'm just going to have to work harder'.

It's a sham and he is a complete publicity ***** with no grip on reality.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

He said he only approves comments that are from people he knows.

That being the case, who the heck is Richard Chen???

I would have liked to ask him, "How many golfers in the world have practiced 10,000 hours?"  If that number is greater than the number of players on the PGA Tour, why did he think he would have a chance to make the PGA Tour when, obviously, many who reached and exceeded that magic number did not?

That being the case, who the heck is Richard Chen???

Welcome to TST!

His tax preparer, of course.

(Just kidding)

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Based on my experiences playing with him, Dan would beat a 5.8 cap over 50% of the time.

Wouldn't a 5.8 beat a 5.8 50% of the time?

• Upvote 1

Here's what i think will happen. He'll get his handicap low enough, turn pro, go on the regional circuit, and call it a win.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

How's he going to afford a mini tour 1200 buy in per tourney if he can't afford $100 local am event?

Money, Skill, Money, More Skill - There are lots of players who may need a few extra years to develop but couldn't because of financial restraints. So if you can't afford it now, how are you going to afford it later to get to that level. Only 2-3 chances; Top 2 at US AM, Make the cut at the Masters, get sponsors and sponsor invites to PGA tourneys. Or do the same at either the Mid-Am or US Open.

Note: This thread is 3326 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!