IGNORED

Is a forgiving driver more forgiving than a forgiving 3 wood off the tee if you are more interested in forgiveness than distance?

jajj
Note: This thread is 3332 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shindig

I don't mean to pick on you, but I see people say this quite a bit, and I want to clarify something.

Just because you see pros do it doesn't mean it's the right decision, or that they did it for the reasons you (or the commentators on T.V.) listed.

Shorter shaft, for example, can be accommodated with a driver by taking an AK grip. And even if the player's intention is to trade distance for a fairway hit doesn't mean it's a favorable trade (unless the off-fairway is significantly bad).

Drivers are getti g longer and longer. I think the average driver nowadays is about 46" which is crazy. Mine is 45.75" an older Cleveland launcher sl290 with a sweet Miyazaki shaft. I don't want to snip an inch off the shaft because it will ruin the flex and balance of the club. I hit it just fine and sometimes really get a hold of it and get it out there 300 yards. My 3 wood is the oldest club in the bag and cheapest. An old walmart maxfli but I'm dead center every time. It's 43" and the perfect kick for my swing. Why upgrade when I'm in the fairway every time..

Drivers are getting longer, but not all of them. Cobra released the BIO cell with shorter shafts. A FW wood is not really all that more forgiving than a driver, unless you happen to fall into the category that @mvmac mentioned.

BTW, you are in an extremely small percentage of 25 handicappers to be able to do this. No one 3 putts that much from that close to the pin on the approach, and I 3 putt more than everyone I know and still manage to keep a 13-ish handicap while not even coming close to hitting 300 yards. . .

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Drivers are getting longer, but not all of them. Cobra released the BIO cell with shorter shafts. A FW wood is not really all that more forgiving than a driver, unless you happen to fall into the category that @mvmac mentioned. BTW, you are in an extremely small percentage of 25 handicappers to be able to do this. No one 3 putts that much from that close to the pin on the approach, and I 3 putt more than everyone I know and still manage to keep a 13-ish handicap while not even coming close to hitting 300 yards. . .

I tried the biocell and didn't like it. I suppose if I put a blueboard in it that might change my mind but I actually recently just went back to the SL290 as I had one back in 11' I loved. I hate it when you sell something that works fine the first time. lol. Cool there was a brand new one with headcover on the bay for like 60 bones.

I agree with what you said but ... what is an "AK grip?"

Grip down an inch or two from the end, similar to how Anthony Kim would do it. [quote name="Dr Hook" url="/t/80740/is-a-forgiving-driver-more-forgiving-than-a-forgiving-3-wood-off-the-tee-if-you-are-more-interested-in-forgiveness-than-distance#post_1116241"] Drivers are getti g longer and longer. I think the average driver nowadays is about 46" which is crazy. Mine is 45.75" an older Cleveland launcher sl290 with a sweet Miyazaki shaft. I don't want to snip an inch off the shaft because it will ruin the flex and balance of the club. [/quote] It won't ruin the flex or the balance; first, if you do cut it down, be sure to remove from the correct end. Second, you don't have to cut it to do this: just grip down when needed. [quote name="Dr Hook" url="/t/80740/is-a-forgiving-driver-more-forgiving-than-a-forgiving-3-wood-off-the-tee-if-you-are-more-interested-in-forgiveness-than-distance#post_1116241"] I hit it just fine and sometimes really get a hold of it and get it out there 300 yards. My 3 wood is the oldest club in the bag and cheapest. An old walmart maxfli but I'm dead center every time. It's 43" and the perfect kick for my swing. Why upgrade when I'm in the fairway every time..[/quote] If you really get your 3W out there 300 yards, congratulations. For the rest of us who don't play on internet distances, being 20 yards further is worth the increased risk of missing the fairway (at most courses).

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

I struggled hitting 3 woods in the fairway off the tee ever since the large headed drivers came out in the early 2000's. I find the head too small and not confidence inspiring. That is likely mostly mental (I know), so I have done away with the traditional 3 wood. I now use a Ping K15 12 degree driver and replaced the shaft with a 3 wood shaft and added some lead weight to get the weighting right. I hit it the same distance as the old 3 wood but much straighter. I can hit it off the deck in the fairway but I need a good lie and not much trouble in my way (like bunkers that need to be carried).

I know that TaylorMade has the Mini, and others now are making this kind of club, and that is on the right track, but I haven't decided to make the purchase to try one of those yet.

Michael

Grip down an inch or two from the end, similar to how Anthony Kim would do it. It won't ruin the flex or the balance; first, if you do cut it down, be sure to remove from the correct end. Second, you don't have to cut it to do this: just grip down when needed. If you really get your 3W out there 300 yards, congratulations. For the rest of us who don't play on internet distances, being 20 yards further is worth the increased risk of missing the fairway (at most courses).

First, learn how to read, second it will ruin the balance and flex of the Miyazaki C Kua shaft which was specifically designed for this club head. Cleveland will tell you not to do it from butt or tip. SMH lol

The last time I had my index checked I was around a 12 back in 98' but the 25 I put was just a number. Just getting back into the game after a 2 year haietus.

That explains the "25 handicapper" issue, but you should put 12 down for your index to avoid any further confusion. B-)

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

3 wood is more forgiving. Why do you think pros use it on many narrow par 4s?? To hit the fairways. Shorter shaft, less kick, you can hit down on it like all your other clubs and it normally stays on line.

That's not why the pros hit them on some par 4's. Pros hit 3 wood off the tee when a driver is too much club, they'll use it to lay up short of trouble (sand, water, avoid getting blocked by trees) or on a dogleg where they don't want the ball running through the fairway.

Most pro's understand the advantage of having the shortest club possible for their second shot which is why they typically hit driver off the tee.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

That's not why the pros hit them on some par 4's. Pros hit 3 wood off the tee when a driver is too much club, they'll use it to lay up short of trouble (sand, water, avoid getting blocked by trees) or on a dogleg where they don't want the ball running through the fairway. Most pro's understand the advantage of having the shortest club possible for their second shot which is why they typically hit driver off the tee.

Everything you just explained pretty much validates my answer.....TO STAY IN THE FAIRWAY. LOL

Everything you just explained pretty much validates my answer.....TO STAY IN THE FAIRWAY. LOL

Except that is not at all what he said.

I remember a wise old man who once, long ago, said ...

First, learn how to read, ...... SMH lol

:beer:

You missed my point. You said pros hit fairway woods on narrow holes because they're easier to hit. I'm saying that's wrong and that they hit fairway woods when a driver would be too much club.

Mike McLoughlin

You missed my point. You said pros hit fairway woods on narrow holes because they're easier to hit. I'm saying that's wrong and that they hit fairway woods when a driver would be too much club.

A good example would be this last weekend; the Valspar at Innisbrook, hole #16 ... a 440-ish yard par 4.  Almost all of them were hitting 3 woods simply because it doglegs and a driver would run through the fairway for most of these guys and put them in the trees.

First, learn how to read, second it will ruin the balance and flex of the Miyazaki C Kua shaft which was specifically designed for this club head. Cleveland will tell you not to do it from butt or tip. SMH lol

How about saying it nicely? We aim for a civil atmosphere here.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

How about saying it nicely? We aim for a civil atmosphere here.

No you don't or you would practice what you preach. Don't shoot someone's opinion down and turn around and try to play the victim. Man up and own your mistake.

Fellas.... Come on. Let's all be like modern drivers and try to be bigger and more forgiving.
  • Upvote 2

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

I just wish the newer drivers had the "feel" of a 1980's driver (smaller head). I absolutely love the way my TM Burner (1985?) swings. It just feels more fluid and balanced to me. I realize it might not be the best choice for me, but to me golf has always been about "feel". And when things feel good, I tend to do better. I've tried the newest clubs available, and I just don't like them from a swing-feel standpoint.

I don't know, maybe I should suck it up and join the 2000's as far as drivers go. I like to draw the ball off the tee and find a smaller head easier to manipulate. Am I nuts?

I figured since this thread was already derailed, I would throw this post in there instead of starting a new thread.

- Disc Golfer

I just wish the newer drivers had the "feel" of a 1980's driver (smaller head). I absolutely love the way my TM Burner (1985?) swings. It just feels more fluid and balanced to me. I realize it might not be the best choice for me, but to me golf has always been about "feel". And when things feel good, I tend to do better. I've tried the newest clubs available, and I just don't like them from a swing-feel standpoint.

I don't know, maybe I should suck it up and join the 2000's as far as drivers go. I like to draw the ball off the tee and find a smaller head easier to manipulate. Am I nuts?

I figured since this thread was already derailed, I would throw this post in there instead of starting a new thread.

Quoting a post by Tom Wishon

"In golfer hit testing studies we have done in the past, we found no difference in the ability to square the face between a 300cc driver and a 460cc driver when the different size heads were built to the same length.  We even tested this at same lengths between an early stainless metal wood of 160cc and a 460cc driver head and did not see any definitive difference in face angle at impact.  But when we made the 460 driver head to be 45 1/2" in length vs the 300cc at 44" length, this is when our studies started to see a lot more propensity toward the longer length resulting in more slices and pushed shots."

So the more appropriate lengths of older clubs give them that extra ability to be turned over.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

You can draw a 460 head just as easily as you can draw a 250 head. You may be under the impression you have to "turn the toe over" to draw it, recommend you check this out.

Mike McLoughlin

Note: This thread is 3332 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!