IGNORED

Going Pro vs The Masters

Hackey Hackerson
Note: This thread is 5967 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Turn Pro vs Masters?

• Turn Pro
    • Masters

Would you take the route Colt Knost is taking and go pro rather than waiting six months to play in the Masters? He seems to have the feeling that he will earn another trip sometime later. But could you turn the option down? I don't think I could.

I voted Masters. He may be able to earn a spot with his play, but to turn down a chance to play the Masters as an amateur is dumb. There is no possible way that I would turn that down.

Driver: 905R 9.5*
3-wood: 906F 13*
Irons: Forged Blades
Wedges: Black Satin SV Tour 52* , 56*, 60*
Putter: FuturaBall: ProV1x or One Platinum---------------------------------------------------------My 2008 Tournament Qualifiers:Tennessee State Match Play - Qualified - July...

Masters. You'd have to be insane to turn down an opportunity like that. There's no guarantee if you go on Tour that you'll qualify for the Masters the hard way.
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

He probably feels ready to turn pro and he might as well earn his way to the Masters. He's likely not going to set attending the Masters Tournament as his career highlight. If he's playing well enough he'll get in and if he's not, he knows that he wouldn't contend anyway.

Swing = Stacked and On Plane when possible.
In My Bag:
Driver: Ping G5 9° Alidila NV 75g Stiff
3-Wood: Nike SQ 15° Diamana Stiff (Stock)
Irons: NIKE FORGED SPLIT CAVIY (S300)Wedges: Taylormade RAC Fe2O3 (Rust) 52°/56°/60°Putter: Titleist/Cameron Newport 1.5Ball: Looking for a new...

I voted Masters, but thats just me. Colt Knost probably had a long hard think about this before he decided what to do, I'm sure he has his reasons. BTW He definatley is good enough to play his way into the Masters.
Whats in the bag:

Driver: Nike Ignite 460cc 10.5* Fujikura Ignite reg flex
Fairway woods: Howson tour master power series 3,5 woods
Irons: MacGregor M675 3-PW DG S300 Wedges: Mizuno MP-R Black Nickel 54.10, 60.05Putter: Pinfire Golf P4Ball: Titleist NXT TourHome Course:http://www.golfarmagh.co.uk/...

i would turn pro, if your ready to play at that level (which he probably is) then its better to go in and get the experience playing in pga tour tournaments so if or when he is able to play his way into the masters hell be better prepared to compete in the majors.

Driver: Taylor Made Burner 9.5*
Woods: Callaway X 3 Wood 15*
Hybrids: Callaway X 2 Hybrid 18*
Irons: Callaway X Forged (3-9)
Wedges: Callaway X Tour 54*Wedges: Callaway Forged+ (52*, 56*)Putter: Heavy PutterBall: Callaway HX Tour

Q: What was his reasoning behind it?
A: Just that it was crazy to sit out six months with nothing to play in for one tournament when I could be out there getting sponsor's exemptions and playing in a few events to gain experience for my professional career.

-this is from ESPN

did a little research for people wondering why he did what he did. he is just looking at the big picture.

-matt

Driver: 09 Burner 10.5 Aldila NV 65 X Stiff
3wd: G10 14* Aldila NV 85 X Stiff
Hybrid: G10 18* Aldila NV 105 X Stiff
3-PW: I10 X100
Wedge: Tour 52* & 58* S400Putter: Circa 62 No.2 35" Ball: Tour IXLowest 9 (-E) 36Lowest 18 (+2) 73

I voted Masters. I just think that's a once in a lifetime opportunity to play as an amateur.

BUT, to add to what thumper07 said, they talked about this during the US Amateur broadcast. Basically, the kid just graduated from college, and he doesn't have a job. He's got to eat and earn enough money to put a roof over his head. It would be pretty tough to sit around for 7 months and play in a few amateur tourneys just waiting for the Masters. I don't blame the kid one bit.

Bag: Grom
Driver: HiBore 10.5° Fuji Stiff
3W: V-Steel 15° Graphite Designs YS-6 Stiff
3h-4h: Bobby Jones Stiff
5i-PW: CG4 Steel StiffWedges: 588 DSG RTG 52°, 900 RTG 56° Low bounce, Reg. 588 RTG 60°Putter: Dead CenterBalls: Pro V1 Speed Cart V1Home Courses: Riverdale Dunes / Knolls,...

The guy's a nut, has some weird family stuff going on. He's an idiot for passing up the Masters, regardless of his future success on tour. He's also a loud obnoxious crybaby. Plus, he's going to soon blimp out to Daly proportions.

Probably will miss this cut this week. The guy is a gold-plated can't miss loser.

(and yes, I had a bad round today :))
Ping G10 9° driver
Taylormade Burner 3-wood
Taylormade Rescue 16°
Taylormade Rac OS 5-PW
Ping G2 3-4Titleist Vokey SM54.14, SM60.08Odyssey Marxman putterTitleist Pro-V1 balls

I voted for Masters. Turning to a pro can wait.
What's in the bag:
Driver: r7 SuperQuad 10.5° ~ UST Proforce V2 65g Regular
Wood: 906F4 18.5° ~ Aldila VS Proto 80g Stiff
Irons: MP-60 3-PW ~ True Temper Tour Concept S3
Wedges: Vokey Oil Can 252.08, SM56.10 & SM60.08Putter: Marxman Mallet 33"

If I find myself winning a USGA National Championship some day, and can get sponsor exemptions into a few tournaments, I'd likely turn pro pretty quickly. The Masters would certainly be great to play in, but if I were capable of making a living by playing golf, I'd want to start sooner than later.

Since my handicap is above my age, I doubt I'll be winning USGA National Championships anytime soon.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The guy's a nut, has some weird family stuff going on. He's an idiot for passing up the Masters, regardless of his future success on tour. He's also a loud obnoxious crybaby. Plus, he's going to soon blimp out to Daly proportions.

Your comment is kinda harsh, but then I thought about my first thought yesterday seeing the highlights of him in the Valero Open and thinking...this kid needs take care of himself - what a slob. I didn't reaslize he was in that bad a shape (physically).

I know nothing about him and I shouldn't judge, but oh well, that's what forums are for, right? I voted the Pro route. So close to your dreams and goals, you gotta do it. Since he graduated college, there's no reason to wait 6 months.

Driver: R7 SuperQuad TP 9.5° Fujikura Rombax 6X07
Hybrid: Rescue TP 19°

Orlimar3wood: Hip-Steel 15° (oldie but goodie)Irons: Ping i10 [4-GW] DG X-100Wedges: Ping Tour-W [54° & 58°] DG X-100Putter: i-Series Piper HBalls: B330-S or e5+

I guess you have to strike when the irons hot and play your exemptions. Of course if he misses every cut he will wish he would of waited. Then again, if he is playing that bad, he would be playing that bad regardless of pro versus amatuer.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Rad Tour 16* | Tour Edge 19* | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Odyssey 2 Ball Blade | Vice Pro Plus  

The mini tours are full of people who think they have the game for the pga. many fail at the mini tour level,never seeing there name on a pga scoring board. He should wait and take is shot at the Masters.

R7 9.5 S Shaft
560 R7 quad R shaft
RAC LT irons
Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum

Colt has to do what is best for him and his career, not what fans want. Playing the Masters as an "Am" maybe great for some but how does that better his career? I don't blame him for making the choice he did.
In my staff bag
Driver: 907D2 - 9.5° - X100
3-Wood: PT13 - 13° - X300
Irons: MP-33 - 2i - PW - X300
Wedges: Vokey 54° & 58°Putter: Anser - 33" - (Face weighted)Ball: Pro V1x

• 3 months later...
He also lost out on the British Open . . . I would say that playing in the Masters would further his career in certain ways, the experience of being around that atmosphere is unique. Colt is so confident that he can make it on the Tour, but he bombed in Q-school so it's off to the Nationwide. Is he overweight, yea, but so was Nicklaus at his age. But odds are against him making it to the Masters, he should have waited to turn pro.

2009 Burner R
FT-I Fusion Squareway 3W 15* Fujikura Speeder Fit-On R
5W R7 R
FT Fusion Hybrids Draw 3/21*, 4/24*
G5 5-PW X-forged Vintage: 52.12, 56.14MDScotty Cameron: Newport 2 ProV1

Note: This thread is 5967 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!