IGNORED

Best New Driver in the $200 Range?

Note: This thread is 3198 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I bought a 2013 Callaway XHot Pro from from a well known online discounter a few months back.  I love it.  First driver I've really trusted in years.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Ping G25 is a great driver and has just gone down in price!

ping.gif G30 Driver

ping.gif K15 3 Wood

ping.gif G25 Hybrid

ping.gif i20 Irons 4-S

ping.gifTour S Rustique 58 degree Wedge

ping.gif Anser 2 TR Putter

I've heard that the G30 is the beez-neez but I've yet to try one myself. I find them used for around $200.

I apologize for having a spam URL in my signature and will not do it again.

I think the technology in drivers is about peaked. There's not really much more they can do with them. I have a 2014 Callaway Big Bertha, and I'll stick with that since that was the one I hit the best. I tried the Ping G25 and G30, and wasn't impressed.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

• 1 month later...
I got a Nike convert 2 driver last year and am very pleased. The adjustments are very easy. The Nike brand is looked down by many in golf but in my opinion it is a quality product and is priced lower than most of the completion.

• 1 month later...

Owned a lot of drivers over the years. Stopped playing for ten years while living in Oklahoma (terrible weather year 'round). Moved back to California and started playing again last October. I went to the local golf shop and bought the Cobra Bio Cells (driver, three-wood, seven-wood). They are a great value for your money. They even sound sweet when you make contact: a clean "click".

Now that callawaypreowned is having its sale, try the V Series in 9 degree (the 9 is a head with less draw bias and can be adjusted up to 2 degrees) with the Speeder 565 or 665 shaft (what's available on preowned; and of course, the BB 815, which has mucho adjustment --- now $200 - has a Fuji 665, BB S+60 (nice shaft).

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

• 4 weeks later...

Best driver I found is the original TaylorMade Rocketballz. It's the non-adjustable version. I hit it about 5 yards shorter than most other drivers, but much straighter and with a great feel. It also looks great. They're going in the 75-100 dollar range on EBay.

I had a Rocketballz 10.5 Stage 2 Driver. Worst performing driver I ever used.

For around $200, I don't think you will find better value than a Titleist 910 Driver.

Titleist 915D2 10.5°
Titleist 913h 17°
Titleist 913h 21°
Titleist AP1 4-GW
Titleist Vokey SM4 54° and 58°
Scotty Cameron California Del Mar Putter

For around $200, I don't think you will find better value than a Titleist 910 Driver.

I bought my 913 D2 (10.5°) for $199 used.  I really think it's the best driver I've ever owned.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I have hit a Cobra S3 3W for many years so I decided to look for an S3 driver. On Ebay I found a brand new one for $89.00 from a Pro Shop in CA. Now, the S3 is a pre Amp Cell driver but I hit the hell out it. You don't need a brand new driver to find what you want. $400 for a driver is ridiculous IMHO. Look around there are great deals out there. Try Ebay but be careful.

I bought my 913 D2 (10.5°) for $199 used.  I really think it's the best driver I've ever owned.

Have to agree, even if i bought it new and paid a bit more - but Titleist has been great about replacing when it should be out of warranty (i have real bad luck with those screws, have had my 910 and 913 replaced)

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

I have recently purchased an entire set of golf clubs Mizuno JPX-EZ(2H,3H, 4-GW) Callaway PM Grind 56 and 64 and Odyssey Versa 9 putter. I have everything I need but a driver. I have been looking at a LOT of reviews and at this point I would pick a Ping G30 SF Tec 10 degree Driver. It's very forgiving and could be used by pros down to the game improvement level. You should be able to find one on EBay for around $250 Mark me down as another G30 vote

Of the ones you named I'd go with the Bio Cell or X2Hot.  If you wait a few weeks you'll probably see the prices on the Callaway V Series, 815 and XR drop since Callaway is already taking pre-orders on their Alpha 816 and Great Big Bertha drivers.

Joe Paradiso

I don't get paying $200 for a driver when you could spend $300 for a G30 or other similar driver. I just picked up golf again and my old high school irons were atrocious. Yet I spent the entire summer playing with them instead of buying a Dick's Special set of irons for $399 and instead spent $800 on Rsi1 irons and I've never loved irons like I love these. I also used my old driver where the grip was completely worn off for the first half of the season until I had enough money to buy my slightly used G30 and couldn't be happier. You don't want to settle when the difference is just $100 or $200. Like I would certainly hold off on buying a golf bag and use that money on a driver. I would rather use an old leather 1940's bag from a garage sale than settle on a driver just for price reasons.

Note: This thread is 3198 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!