IGNORED

Blackberry Users?

edk
Note: This thread is 5372 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

That sucks: "GreenFinder Golf GPS does not currently work on any Verizon Wireless BlackBerry smartphones, with the exception of the BlackBerry Storm 9530 and BlackBerry Tour 9630.".

(I have the Pearl from Verizon)

Callaway X-18 Irons | TaylorMade R5 Driver, 200 Steel 3 Wood | Cleveland Golf CG-14 Gap & Sand Wedge | Titleist Vokey Lob Wedge | Odyssey White Hot Putter | Titleist ProV1 Ball | Bushnell Pro 1600 Tournament Edition Laser Rangefinder

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Verizon has a habit of disabling the GPS on their smartphones for any non-Verizon app. I believe it's mainly intended to require you to pay Verizon for turn-by-turn GPS software.

C9 VFT Ti
C9 5w
P2 Hybrid 3
P2 Deep Cavity 4-PW
SGS 52, 56 Putter

Wow so it's likely that I can't use ANY golf distance application with my Verizon BlackBerry?

Callaway X-18 Irons | TaylorMade R5 Driver, 200 Steel 3 Wood | Cleveland Golf CG-14 Gap & Sand Wedge | Titleist Vokey Lob Wedge | Odyssey White Hot Putter | Titleist ProV1 Ball | Bushnell Pro 1600 Tournament Edition Laser Rangefinder

Correct.

http://groups.google.com/group/Googl...e452646e?pli=1

http://aspadvice.com/blogs/ssmith/ar...rry-Pearl.aspx

"The problem you are having is normal for the 8130. Verizon has
disabled the internal GPS receiver in the Pearl. They do this to make
you pay the extra $10/month for their sub-par VZ Navigator program."

"Unfortunately, after trying in vain to get my GPS to work with the pre-installed Blackberry Maps, I eventually discovered that Verizon has intentionally crippled this phone such that the GPS will not work except with their software. Oh, and by the way, their software costs $10/month."

Verizon has a long, colorful history of crippling their phones in various ways, from locking down GPS to having half the RAM of the same model on other carriers.

May I suggest considering Sprint the next time you're in the phone market. Sprint pulls no such douchebaggery and most current Sprint plans allow free, unfettered roaming on Verizon's network.

C9 VFT Ti
C9 5w
P2 Hybrid 3
P2 Deep Cavity 4-PW
SGS 52, 56 Putter

No Blackberry or iPhone but I have an LG Dare and used Verizon's GPS Golf app once as a free trial. It worked ok and seemed accurate but I have a handheld unit that does the sam eonly better. The phone gets turned off and all business besides golf gets put aside.

I can tell you this isn't true for the Blackberry 8330. I have no probs using google maps or any other GPS app.

I've continued to use my skycaddie because the decent programs I've found want about the same amount I pay for my Skycaddie subscription. I may revisit this if my Skycaddie craps out, but until then...
Correct.

In my bag:

Driver: 907d2
Fairway: R7 ti 5-Wood
Hybrids: 909H 21 Rescue 4Irons: KZG Forged Evolution 5 - PW w/Rifle 6.0 shaftWedges: 52 Rac & Vokey 58Putter: Studio Select 2Ball: Titleist ProV1xEyes: SG5

Thanks for the information jonnythan. I just renewed my 2yr Verizon contract, plus we get a 20% off employee discount so I won't be leaving Verizon any time soon. It's a shame to see that Verizon limits the use of their phones like that though.

I have the iPhone and I use ViewTI, which has its pluses and minuses. It uses the Google satellite view to give you a bird's eye view of the green. Trying to get it to measure distance to a layup point takes some work. It also doesn't do a great job of allowing you to view other parts of the hole besides just the green. And yes, the GPS can be slow. I've had it "lock in" on a distance only to have it update about 20 seconds later. If the update were +/- 3 yards or so, ok, but the difference has been +/- 12 yards at times. That can be the difference between a par or a bogey.
The major pluses are the price ($30 for the version I have, there are 2 others), no annual subscription, and most of the courses I play locally are in their database.

In the bag:
Ping G5 Driver 9 degree, Ping G10 3-wood, Nike 3 hybrid, TaylorMade R9 Irons 4-AW, Cleveland CG15 56 and 60 degree wedges, Odyssey 2-ball blade putter

Verizon is a bunch of cock knockers, my company sells for them. I hate them, they are in business to put small buiness out of business... asses. anywho yeah its so dumb to lock GPS.

I think there was a class action law suit against them, not sure what happend...

Aerolite III bag
MP600 10.5*
F-50 15*
MP57's Project X 5.5 3-PW
CG10 56* RAC 52* 60* 2 Ball putter ProV1/ProV1X Blackberry Storm GolfLogix

Actually, he's partially right. I was basing my answer off of Google Maps, Buzzd, and GPS tracker. However, the GPS tracker isn't actually working. Google Maps and Buzzd are. Weird...

In my bag:

Driver: 907d2
Fairway: R7 ti 5-Wood
Hybrids: 909H 21 Rescue 4Irons: KZG Forged Evolution 5 - PW w/Rifle 6.0 shaftWedges: 52 Rac & Vokey 58Putter: Studio Select 2Ball: Titleist ProV1xEyes: SG5

Does anyone have a Sprint Blackberry Curve 8330 and use a free GPS/rangefiner? I can't find any really and I was just wondering what everyone else uses.

In my Xtreme Sport bag
'09 Burner 9.5*
F50 15* 3 Wood
Burner 18* 5 Wood
MX-19 4-GW SV Tour 54.12 & 58.08 White Hot 2-Ball SRT

• 2 weeks later...
I prefer the name "crackberry" because I love this device so much. I have graduated to the 8800 from the 7130c.

Went blackberry and never looked back
Driver: R9 460
3 Wood: Big Bertha Diablo 3D
Hybrid: Rapture 24
Irons: X-22's 4-AW
Wedges: X Forged 58/10Putter: Black Series Tour Design #2 (Righty)Balls: Pro V1x Penta TP

I had two Motorolas in a row die on me and had an upgrade due on my Alltel (now Verizon) service. I couldn't really switch to anything else because it's the only one that works in the dungeon basement office we have, so I got the Storm 9530. It's supposed to arrive today, so I'm hoping and praying it works with one of the GPS golf app's out there.

In my Acuity bag:

Driver: HiBore XL
Woods: Acuity 3 Wood and 3I-hybrid
Irons: Acuity oversized cavity backs 4 - PWWedges: Tourney Silver Scot 192Putter: Acuity half-malletBall: XL 5000 Super Straight

• 2 weeks later...
Have the Tour. Awesome phone, I can't go back to a non-smartphone now. I'm trying to decide between Golflogix and Greenfinder and any other GPS apps. Anyone have any input?

Lefty Golfer!
In my light stand bag:
R7 Limited Driver 9.5* Matrix Ozik xcon 5.5 Stiff Shaft
A3os 3 (19*) and 4 (22*) Hybrids Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum Stiff shafts
X-22's 5-AW Regular Flex Uniflex Steel Shafts X-Forged SW 56* & LW 60* 35" Studio Stainless Newport 2.5 ('04 version) with a...

http://www.bbgpsgolf.com/index.php

Anyone get this BB GPS GOLF app to work? It's a bit of a PITA to load the files onto your phone, but I've gone through all that, one problem:

I have verizon wireless, and it won't allow me to use internal GPS, so I'll have to buy a external GPS & sync to it via bluetooth... Looks like a cool ap & you can add courses & mark hazards, etc using google earth.

External GPS is pretty cheap compared to buying a skycaddie though...

I was trying it yesterday, but I keep getting errors and it tells me the green is 12k yards away.

Aerolite III bag
MP600 10.5*
F-50 15*
MP57's Project X 5.5 3-PW
CG10 56* RAC 52* 60* 2 Ball putter ProV1/ProV1X Blackberry Storm GolfLogix

Note: This thread is 5372 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!