IGNORED

"The A Swing: The Alternative Approach to Great Golf" by David Leadbetter

iacas
Note: This thread is 1943 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

@Iacas: any updates on your thoughts? I'd say I'm most perplexed/skeptical about how DL says the downswing is so natural and just occurs without effort. He then goes and described the first step (assuming the pivot is correct) is an upward rotation of the dorsal left forearm and right palm. I don't see that move being natural. Also, the claims of the A Swing being 6" shorter than the "conventional" swing in regards to measuring the butt of the club? I'm having a hard time seeing how keeping the left arm deep across the chest and relaxed (compact) can generate the power one gets from a wider arc seen with the more conventional swing.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

@Iacas: any updates on your thoughts? I'd say I'm most perplexed/skeptical about how DL says the downswing is so natural and just occurs without effort. He then goes and described the first step (assuming the pivot is correct) is an upward rotation of the dorsal left forearm and right palm. I don't see that move being natural.

There really isn't a backswing position that make the downswing "natural" or "automatic".

There are a range of functional backswing positions that require less compensations than others on the downswing.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Thanks Mike. DL says there is no rotation/manipulation of the hands/forearms in the backswing. Just seems to me that if there is on the downswing the clubface would be changed and this is where problems could arise on this "simple and natural" downswing.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

There really isn't a backswing position that make the downswing "natural" or "automatic".

There are a range of functional backswing positions that require less compensations than others on the downswing.

You must not watch too many infomercials. Of course there is silly. ;-)

- Shane

I noticed this on one of those annoying popups and initially ignored it, but being curious (or nosey) i took a look. Now i like things as simple as possible (my sing included) as im not the most technically minded golfer and this "revolutionary" method just gave me a headache.

The idea of it being easy to learn seems to be contradicted by cunfusing swing positions you need to achieve (hopefully Erik may be able to add his take on the "learnabillity, if thats a word, of the swing)

Does anyone else think this could go the same way as Kiran Kanwars Minimallist Swing?

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

Thanks Mike. DL says there is no rotation/manipulation of the hands/forearms in the backswing. Just seems to me that if there is on the downswing the clubface would be changed and this is where problems could arise on this "simple and natural" downswing.

Well in any golf swing the forearms will be rotating with the face changing but I get what you're saying in that it could require a big "re-routing" move on the downswing.

You must not watch too many infomercials. Of course there is silly.

Square to square baby!

Does anyone else think this could go the same way as Kiran Kanwars Minimallist Swing?

I think this swing has more "merit" than the Minimalist swing. There are some pros that have swings that resemble the A swing, not so much with the Minimalist swing.

Mike McLoughlin

Agree with the scepticism/disbelief over the ensuing downswing naturally assuming the correct path and plane.  Golf is never that easy!  He advocates right foot drawn back at set up (knees, hips, shoulders square).  Presumably that is to help promote the shallowing of the club and the more inside path on the downswing?  But that can't be all it takes to make it happen automatically though!

He advocates right foot drawn back at set up (knees, hips, shoulders square).  Presumably that is to help promote the shallowing of the club and the more inside path on the downswing?

Also with taking the hands in on the backswing.

Mike McLoughlin

It's been cold and rainy here so I haven't been able to take the A Swing to the range. The swings I've done with a mirror sure make me "feel" like I'm either gonna hosel rocket it or push it severely. Gonna try this weekend.

I might have missed it, but no one seemed to comment on Leadbetter's Practice Plan:

"Actually, I've saved the best part of the A Swing for last.  You can learn it with an

easy-to-follow, seven-minute practice plan, a few times a week and you'll have no

problem develop and maintaining the mechanics and feeling for the A Swing."

There are about 6 steps and then a small section on fitness

6 Swing Exercises (10 reps each)

1.  Developing a Good Setup

2.  Grooving the Pivot

3.  Slotting the Top of Your Backswing

4.  Feeling the Backswing, Slotting the Downswing

5.  Training the Proper Left-Side Release

6.  Developing Feel

Still reading the book, the articles were sort of interesting.

Good call. Im more interested in other golfers opinions on the swing in general. Particularly, is it any "easier" than well....any other swing? For instance, I can't physically do Dustin Johnsons swing ....something would tear or snap if I tried it. But as far as feeling "natural" my natural swing is a shank 100% reliable. I'm gonna try this swing on the range..but as I said above....when I use the mirror and do it inside.....I "feel" the death virus lurking. Oh...BTW....Martee mentioned these steps.....no biggie

During my practice session today, I for whatever reason decided to give The A Swing a

go. Now I haven't read the book yet, only skimmed the Golf Digest article but have

read a number of posts on several forums. So with that said, I really don't know if

I am actually implementing 'The A Swing' as Leadbetter has describe in total.

I am gripping the club in the fingers. I am setting the wrist early and matching the spine

angle while the club is out in front. I am staying connected.  I am using the lower body

to drive the down swing. My club plane appears to form the 'V - Plane' Backswing to

Downswing. The Golf Digest Picture Slides is what has defined what I THINK I am doing.

What I am doing is working, does feel a bit different. From successful swings to poor

swings I discover several issues

1. Grip Pressure increases will introduce tension and problems.

2. Backswing Tempo, if the speed exceeds the golfers abilities (control, strength, etc)

a number of problems occur including causing the grip pressure to increase.

3. For me, thinking about shallow-ing out the club on the downswing made is

awkward to about impossible. Get the club to the top correctly, then let the lower

body's motion in the downswing put the club automatically on a shallower plane.

4. Ball position vs posture has more impact on longer clubs for distance and trajectory.

This will be a work in progress, but I was able to control the iron's trajectory and flight

relatively consistent and easy. I fear once I read the book I will be a total mess, but that

won't happen till mid June.

I will say I like the concept and philosophy from what I know so far. Having a Practice

Plan, a Fitness routine and minimal equipment and time requirements IMO makes 'The

A Swing' have potential for a wide audience of golfers.

A minor disclaimer, I am not a Leadbetter fan, well at least until now, but time will

tell come the end of June.

During my practice session today, I for whatever reason decided to give The A Swing a

go.  Now I haven't read the book yet, only skimmed the Golf Digest article but have

read a number of posts on several forums.  So with that said, I really don't know if

I am actually implementing 'The A Swing' as Leadbetter has describe in total.

I am gripping the club in the fingers.  I am setting the wrist early and matching the spine

angle while the club is out in front.  I am staying connected.  I am using the lower body

to drive the down swing.  My club plane appears to form the 'V - Plane' Backswing to

Downswing.  The Golf Digest Picture Slides is what has defined what I THINK I am doing.

What I am doing is working, does feel a bit different.  From successful swings to poor

swings I discover several issues

1.  Grip Pressure increases will introduce tension and problems.

2.  Backswing Tempo, if the speed exceeds the golfers abilities (control, strength, etc)

a number of problems occur including causing the grip pressure to increase.

3.  For me, thinking about shallow-ing out the club on the downswing made is

awkward to about impossible.  Get the club to the top correctly, then let the lower

body's motion in the downswing put the club automatically on a shallower plane.

4. Ball position vs posture has more impact on longer clubs for distance and trajectory.

This will be a work in progress, but I was able to control the iron's trajectory and flight

relatively consistent and easy.  I fear once I read the book I will be a total mess, but that

won't happen till mid June.

I will say I like the concept and philosophy from what I know so far.  Having a Practice

Plan, a Fitness routine and minimal equipment and time requirements IMO makes 'The

A Swing' have potential for a wide audience of golfers.

A minor disclaimer, I am not a Leadbetter fan, well at least until now, but time will

tell come the end of June.

Awesome martee. Keep us updated on what you think. We have a similar hcp so I'd like to know how it's going for you. I'm still working inside. Weather sucks here. It's kinda silly, but I just can't get the shank feel out of my head when doing this without a ball. I hope it's not a total disaster when I try this on the range.

So I read the golf digest article and decided to give it a try. First let me say I have tried maybe every swing put forth including natural golf , 4 magic moves, rotary, and single plane to name a few. I'm currently a 8 handicap and 64 yr old. In my first try with the A swing I was impressed and shot a nice 78 but I can't claim to be doing it right. I downloaded the book and started reading and studying things better and was rewarded with an 86 the next time out. Not one to give up my next two rounds were 77 and 78. In those rounds I hit some awfully impressive straight shots. I'm finding some of the keys are getting the wrist break going early and keeping the right arm connected to the body. Its uncomfortable for me but when done correctly the ball flys off the club. I am getting my same to maybe a little more distance with somewhat less effort. I will continue working and let you know how it goes. It is difficult during the course of the round to keep track of what to do. This is in no way a simple swing but at this time i'm impressed enough to keep up with it.

can't claim to be doing it right. Critical. I tried it today. No idea if I was doing it correctly. Yeah I hit some good ones but definitely not longer than my usual erroneous swing. I can't imagine anyone taking on this swing without a pro watching and helping along the way.

I saw a few videos, one which had the Gold Digest  David Owen give it ago by reading the article and book.  Then he made a visit to Leadbetter for

1/2 day and was quite satisfied.  There is another video where the guy had the same experience.  It seems just a read of the book may not be

enough, it may take  a few and it definitely requires the use of the 7 minute practice plan.

The A Swing may not be a method per-se, seems like the key factor in the back swing at waist level(left arm) is to have the butt club pointed down, not

the shaft may match the spine angle or it could be vertical, both will work depending upon the golfer.

So maybe and I don't know but I am guessing is that most of what he talks about will be key alignments and not so much as must have positions.

Don't know but you guys give me hope as I look forward to mid June to give this a go.

I think it's the wrist action that gives me trouble which is always a problem with me. I've often wondered if my mixed handedness causes my issues. I golf,bat,bowl and throw left handed but I write, play tennis, and throw a frisbee right handed. From my days of UFC training I punch with equal strength left or right. So, I have a hard time feeling any side to be dominant in my swing. I think I was starting the swing correctly....the first half of the "V"....but the transition coming down I really have no idea.

Didn't Butch just get Rickie out of doing this at the start of the backswing? [URL=http://video.golfdigest.com/watch/david-leadbetter-the-a-swing-backswing]http://video.golfdigest.com/watch/david-leadbetter-the-a-swing-backswing[/URL]

It's true. However, I'd give anything to be able to play as good as Rickie Fowler USED to play, and I'm sure most of us would. I have the book and I'm almost through the second reading. For someone like me who has divots pointing left and hits a lot of pull-hooks, this is a great feeling, because suddenly the divots are straight or even a little right and I'm hitting pushes and draws. I don't care how goofy it looks if it lowers my handicap. None of it is really new. Hank Haney's "slice cure" has advocated making the opposite loop to get the club coming on an inside path for a long time, though he never got into this much detail about how to do it. This is good because it shortens the backswing and relies more on torso and lower body movement to flatten the shaft coming down. Definitely something players in my boat should at least try.

Note: This thread is 1943 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!