IGNORED

Yellow or White Ball ?

todgot
Note: This thread is 3266 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Although I definitely prefer a white ball, yellow is much easier too see. I play white in morning / early afternoon rounds, and yellow in my evening rounds. It's sooo much easier to see that yellow ball when the sun is low and in your eyes.

I'm not an expert on ball technology but it seems the balls like the Srixon and Volvik have a different cover type to make them that fluorescent glow.  Other balls like the Calloway Hex Chrome and Titleist NXT don't have the same type appearance.  Anyone aware of differences in the technology of the covers or is it all cosmetic?

I prefer a softer ball ... softer golf balls tend to come in more color options .... so I choose yellow for the selfish reason as I like to see where my golf ball is from afar or approaching an area where 2-4 golf balls may be relatively close together ... like a green.

Just happen to talk to a Srixon rep awhile back and asked him about their yellow balls. To me, the balls cover seemed harder and he stated that because of the dye used, it did make them a little harder. When I putted with them, they kind of shot off the putter face, in contrast to the Pro V which felt softer and seemingly came off the face with less velocity.

Hate crowned cups.

I'm not an expert on ball technology but it seems the balls like the Srixon and Volvik have a different cover type to make them that fluorescent glow.  Other balls like the Calloway Hex Chrome and Titleist NXT don't have the same type appearance.  Anyone aware of differences in the technology of the covers or is it all cosmetic?

I can definitely tell a big difference between the Wilson Duo white vs yellow cover. The white is soft like a pro V1, the yellow is harder.

Bob

WITB

Driver:                         Ping I25 10.5 PWR65 stiff Flex

Fairway Woods:          Ping TiSi Tec 3, 5 and 7 graphite Cushin stiff flex

Irons:                         Pinhawk SL 5-PW 37.25 inches 

Wedges:                     Reid Lockhart 52 and 60 quad bounce, 56 dual bounce 

Putter:                        Boccieri Heavy Putter B3-M (250 gram back weight)

Ball:                            MG C4 / Wilson Duo

Grips:                         Winn DriTac midsize Blue

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I prefer the yellow ball most of the time.  Usually a NXT Tour S.   But there are some visibility conditions were the white ball is more visible in flight and I keep a couple in the bag for those times.

Butch

My ball of choice for the last three years has been Yellow. As I get older it is harder to follow a white ball through the air and on the ground once it lands. The yellow while not perfect helps to some degree and like the OP it is also easy to ID my ball in the fairway or on the green. It does limit the balls I can play and it is a bit of a conundrum picking a good ball to play. Having a slower swing speed now I have some trouble stopping the ball on greens that are firm and fast. I do need help in getting more spin on full shots into the green in order to stop them close to where they land. I have been playing the Srixon ZStar sl yellow, but they deleted it from their lineup. I have been looking for a ball that is yellow that gives me some help on those short shots into the green. If I play a course with receptive greens it is easy to use most any ball white or yellow.

So the white ball has no dye in it? I don't think so.

It has dye in it, just a different kind that perhaps interacts differently with the material of the cover. I haven't hit yellow balls other than range balls to know if they're harder, but it's a possibility.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It has dye in it, just a different kind that perhaps interacts differently with the material of the cover. I haven't hit yellow balls other than range balls to know if they're harder, but it's a possibility.

I think most range balls are not the same as those balls we use on the course. In upscale courses they may be good balls, but at courses like a muni the balls are usually hard like the old Top Flites. Many of today's balls are more soft than range balls. The yellow balls can be just as soft as the white ones in my estimation. I play both and often can't tell the difference. If you go to different brands of white balls one can be harder or softer than another it is the same way with Yellow balls. I have played white balls that were harder than some of the yellow ones. I honestly don't think the color makes a difference.

Note: This thread is 3266 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!