IGNORED

Bryson Dechambeau Plays Same-Length Irons

cipher
Note: This thread is 2940 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Saw a story this morning about his new Augusta/Masters themed irons, where he nicknamed all of them (and had them stamped with said nickname) something to do with Augusta or the Masters...

DeCambeau%20Masters%20irons%201.jpg

Interestingly, that same story also mentioned that they believe he will be turning pro perhaps as early as next week AND signing with Cobra to play their clubs, and he will ditch the Edels.

http://www.golfdigest.com/story/you-have-to-see-bryson-dechambeaus-masters-inspired-irons

• Upvote 2

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

During his Masters interview he confirmed that he was turning pro the week after the Masters and I think me mentioned that his wedges for the Masters were Cobra so it is consistent.  

Joe Paradiso

I am sure Cobra can make him any clubs he wants ;) 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

22 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

During his Masters interview he confirmed that he was turning pro the week after the Masters and I think me mentioned that his wedges for the Masters were Cobra so it is consistent.  

They seem to all say "Edel" on them in the photo, though.

27 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

They seem to all say "Edel" on them in the photo, though.

He states at around 21:00 in his Masters interview that he is using Cobra wedges this week.  The Edel are his old wedges, 60* is named King.  

Joe Paradiso

3 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

He states at around 21:00 in his Masters interview that he is using Cobra wedges this week.  The Edel are his old wedges, 60* is named King.  

OK.  I will defer to you because the horses mouth (no offense Bryson:-P) would likely be more reliable than an equipment guy at Golf Digest.  I was just going off of the article though:

the latest being a new set of Masters-inspired Edel irons he will use this week at Augusta National.

In recent weeks the NCAA and U.S. Amateur champion has changed his driver, using a modified version of Cobra’s King F6+ in which DeChambeau had the 18-gram movable sole weight removed to get the club to a light B-9 swingweight. Then last week at the Georgia Cup, he further fueled speculation he would sign with Cobra upon turning professional (likely next week at the RBC Heritage) by using a set of same-length Cobra King Forged MB irons.

At Augusta National, however, DeChambeau had Edel irons back in the bag, except they weren’t the rusty, well-worn sticks he had been using. In their place was a shiny new set with enough weights on the toe and sole (to get each iron to the same weight) to qualify as a science-fair project while stampings on each iron showed a sharp appreciation for Masters history.

And in the picture, the 60 appears to be called "Arnie." :beer:

I'm the farthest from an expert as possible, but I don't believe his statement about the single length irons helping bad backs at all.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

When he turns pro, most assume he will sign with Cobra. It is not "play for pay" for nothing. Security.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

I've heard him say some weird stuff. Not verbatim but something along the line of when he went to the 37.5's he hit a 5i from 205 to 5' and had an instant realization. Which I found kind of odd because how much different could 37.5 be from his previous 5i? Unless he was playing longer or shorter than standard that is a 5i give or take .5.

Dave :-)

12 minutes ago, Dave2512 said:

I've heard him say some weird stuff. Not verbatim but something along the line of when he went to the 37.5's he hit a 5i from 205 to 5' and had an instant realization. Which I found kind of odd because how much different could 37.5 be from his previous 5i? Unless he was playing longer or shorter than standard that is a 5i give or take .5.

He spoke about that in the interview.  They built the clubs and were testing them.  First he hit an 8i the distance he expected it to go as the first proof of concept, then on the next hole he hit the 5i 205 yards and they were excited because it meant the experiment worked.  

Joe Paradiso

12 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

He spoke about that in the interview.  They built the clubs and were testing them.  First he hit an 8i the distance he expected it to go as the first proof of concept, then on the next hole he hit the 5i 205 yards and they were excited because it meant the experiment worked.  

I get that but a you should expect a 5i built to standard or close to standard specs to perform like a 5i.

1 hour ago, Golfingdad said:

OK.  I will defer to you because the horses mouth (no offense Bryson:-P) would likely be more reliable than an equipment guy at Golf Digest.  I was just going off of the article though:

And in the picture, the 60 appears to be called "Arnie." :beer:

It's been confirmed on other golf sites that Bryson signed with Cobra and will have Cobra wedges in his bag this weekend.  http://golfweek.com/2016/03/31/bryson-dechambeau-plays-cobra-irons-georgia-cup-2/

24 minutes ago, Dave2512 said:

I get that but a you should expect a 5i built to standard or close to standard specs to perform like a 5i.

It's not built to standard spec, all of his irons are the same length as his 7i and weighted and lofted differently from standard irons.  

Joe Paradiso

16 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

It's not built to standard spec, all of his irons are the same length as his 7i and weighted differently from standard irons.  

Right but 5i's are 37.5-38 usually, in the arms race maybe 38.25 if the loft is strong and it's really a 4i, 7i's in the 36.5 range for those not fit to +1/-1 to whatever. The revelation is the shorter irons performed as expected you know already what to expect from the 5i because it changed the least unless he was playing longer irons previously.

18 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

It's been confirmed on other golf sites that Bryson signed with Cobra and will have Cobra wedges in his bag this weekend.  http://golfweek.com/2016/03/31/bryson-dechambeau-plays-cobra-irons-georgia-cup-2/

That article confirms what my article already said - that he played Cobra at the Georgia Cup.  It doesn't say anything about the Masters.

31 minutes ago, Dave2512 said:

Right but 5i's are 37.5-38 usually, in the arms race maybe 38.25 if the loft is strong and it's really a 4i, 7i's in the 36.5 range for those not fit to +1/-1 to whatever. The revelation is the shorter irons performed as expected you know already what to expect from the 5i because it changed the least unless he was playing longer irons previously.

Read the article, there is nothing standard about Bryson's irons

Each head weighs 280 grams and has a lie angle of 73.5 degrees.

“It took our machinist a day to (add the tungsten weight to) each 3-iron,” Schomin said. “One to do the CB (3-iron) and one day to do the MB (3-iron). And then three more solid days to complete the other irons.”

Schomin said it took him two days to complete the sole grinding and another day for final tweaks.

Joe Paradiso

Just now, newtogolf said:

a lie angle of 73.5 degrees.

That's insane.  I think I'd like to hit a club like this.  I have clubs 2-3 degrees upright and still seem to take "toe-heavy" divots on the range often enough.

6 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

That's insane.  I think I'd like to hit a club like this.  I have clubs 2-3 degrees upright and still seem to take "toe-heavy" divots on the range often enough.

I think he has to. He grips the club in a very upright position and swings on a very upright plane. 

• Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

11 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

I think he has to. He grips the club in a very upright position and swings on a very upright plane. 

Yeah, that is different looking.

Note: This thread is 2940 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!