IGNORED

SOS

Note: This thread is 3212 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi all, I'm going through a terrible time with my game. I was a steady mid handicapper scoring around the 90 mark regularly with the occasional great round in the mid 80s. I wanted to improve so I booked some lessons with the local pro. All I really wanted was to eliminate the slice with the driver and strike the ball a bit cleaner so as to improve consistency. What's happened since then has just been a nightmare and I'm now one more bad round away from putting my clubs on eBay. The pro has had my focus on dynamic loft and attack angle as my hands are getting too far ahead at Impact which is delofting the club and giving a low ball flight. He's had my try to turn my right shoulder more through impact and finish the shot better so as to decrease that steep attack angle. To cut a long story short it's gone horribly wrong. In my last two rounds I have played one single iron shot well. My driving has gone from long and straight with the occasional slice to low, left, short and generally unplayable. I'm even 3-putting loads more than I used to. I really don't want to give the game up but it has become deeply embarrassing. I feel like I can't get the ball off the ground, can't swing the club the same way twice and everything I try only makes it worse. I have another lesson on Wednesday but I don't even know what to tell him to be honest.

@ @Gaz Golf Welcome to the forum. Many of us have gone through the same problem. First, I would ask if your instructor is fliming your swing to show you visually what he wants you to do. If not, I would recommend you film your swing and post in the Member Swings section of this forum. Folks here, including two excellent instructors, will help get you on the right path. Second, is the instructor explaining why they want you to do these things? If not, ask. If they can't give you a deceent answer that tells you the path to improvement, then get another instructor. I searched for a good instructor years ago and only found two when I met Dave Wedzik and Erik Barzeski (@ @iacas ). They explained the "why".

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Howdy. Ive been there. Also while doing swing changes. My best advice is that a pros swing may not fit you. Simplify things. Take a few days off from golf. Start again with your old swing. And then work on one thing at a time. I try to limit my swing thoughts as much as possible Right now for me i think two things Backswing : stack Downswing: push off of my right foot Any more than that and i find myself undecided midseing and all kinds of contact problems arise. Since i limited my thoughts my rounds have been steady eighties.

Thanks for the replies. The instructor uses the trackman tool which is excellent. I can see the faults. I can see the angle of my left wrist at impact and my hands are miles ahead of the ball. I can see that my spine doesn't tilt to the right at all as it should so I have a good picture of what is wrong but I just can't put it right.

Thanks for the replies. The instructor uses the trackman tool which is excellent. I can see the faults. I can see the angle of my left wrist at impact and my hands are miles ahead of the ball. I can see that my spine doesn't tilt to the right at all as it should so I have a good picture of what is wrong but I just can't put it right.

Been through what you're going through re lessons.

As to what he wants you to do, makes sense in general terms.

Patience.

My guy wants me to play through the pain, but the ego takes a beating. It might help if you soften everything up and try not to think on the course. Just stop thinking on the course and focus on relaxing and visualizing the swing you want.

Afterwards, hit the range.

It takes me about a month to incorporate one or two changes between lessons going to the range 2X per week, and swinging at home. Also, some changes have taken about a year... it all depends.

I've had interesting conversations on the range with no one else around where I am discussing the state of my game and life with God. He takes it well.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

I second posting your swing as stated by @boogielicious Usually low shots are thin, I deloft my clubs and can still manage high flights at least some of the time. The only way to tell is by recording your swing. You don't need to post it, but you should at the very least record it and play it back for yourself.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Gotta' work at it.

And guys, he has an instructor.

Too many cooks ...

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

The pro has had my focus on dynamic loft and attack angle as my hands are getting too far ahead at Impact which is delofting the club and giving a low ball flight. He's had my try to turn my right shoulder more through impact and finish the shot better so as to decrease that steep attack angle. To cut a long story short it's gone horribly wrong. In my last two rounds I have played one single iron shot well. My driving has gone from long and straight with the occasional slice to low, left, short and generally unplayable. I'm even 3-putting loads more than I used to.

How long have you been working on this piece?

Do you know whether the picture is actually changing?

I really don't want to give the game up but it has become deeply embarrassing. I feel like I can't get the ball off the ground, can't swing the club the same way twice and everything I try only makes it worse. I have another lesson on Wednesday but I don't even know what to tell him to be honest.

Tell him basically what you told us, you're working on it but you're hitting it like crap. You won't hurt his feelings, instructors need to know what's going on.

• Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Thanks again for the replies. I like the idea of trying to clear my mind during a round and leave the adjustments etc to the range. It just seems I've gone so far in the wrong direction that the road back is so long. I'm going to keep at it tho. Try to be patient and hopefully make some progress and start to enjoy the game again.
  • Upvote 1

Note: This thread is 3212 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!