IGNORED

Tired of People Hating on the 3-iron

iacas
Note: This thread is 5809 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Do you carry a 3-iron? What's your handicap index?

• Yes; Single Digits
    • No; Single Digits
    • Yes; 10-18
    • No; 10-18
    • Yes; 19+
    • No; 19+

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My new Titliest set I bought last year (775's) didn't even come with a 3 iron, which kind of bums me out. I like my hybrid but nothing like nailing a long iron shot. When I strike it good it really brings a smile to my face.
In my bag on my Sun Mountain Speedcart
Driver: HS9 10.0° F/ST
Woods: RPM 3, 5
Hybrids: Baffler DWS 23°
Irons: 775-CB 4-GWWedges: Tour 54°, WS 60°Putter: Rossa MonzaBall: This week TP BlackHome Course: North Bellingham GC"Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy" BenJamin...

When I first got my 3H a couple years ago, I pulled the 3I from my bag, mainly because it put me over 14 clubs and I felt like it was one of the clubs I used the least and my 4I would substitute fine. Early this year, though, I got my clubs regripped (including the 3I) and decided to put it back in my bag just to see if I could hit it after a layoff (I'm illegally carrying 15 clubs right now, BTW ).

I've gotta say the 3I has come in handy in quite a few situations. I've been able to hit nice, long shots in tight spots that I wouldn't have felt comfortable hitting with the 3H, due to it getting a little too high in the wind and having a bit too much left-to-right bend to it on occasion. In addition, my misses with the 3I tend to be less punitive (not sure if that's the right word) than those with the 3H.

When tourney time comes, I'm gonna have to get back down to 14 clubs, so I'll probably have to pull one or the other, depending on the course, conditions, etc. Or I could remove one of my 4 wedges. Will just have to see.

I love my 3 iron, and I couldn't see myself playing without it.
In my bag:
Driver: Tour Burner 10.5 re*ax
3 Wood:R5 XL
Irons:FP Irons 5-GW
Hybrids:Baffler DWS 3,4 Wedges:588 RTG DSG 56º, 60ºPutter:White Hot XG #9 34"Grips: Lamkin Crossline CordsBall: Pro V1x

• 4 weeks later...
3 irons are becoming extinct and im all for it..Hyrbids are too easy to hit--its like cheating using a hybrid over a 3 iron...actually a lot of people are giving up on their 4 irons as well--ala Phil Mickelson

"People think the size of the head is most important. Wrong. It's getting a quality shaft. test different shafts to see which goes the straightest. Also, more degrees of loft on the head is better than less. Eleven degrees is about right."

3 irons are becoming extinct and im all for it..Hyrbids are too easy to hit--its like cheating using a 3 iron over a hybrid...actually a lot of people are giving up on their 4 irons as well--ala Phil Mickelson

Hybrids are easier to hit, but for those who don't need ease of use, I think the 3 iron is a better choice.

This thread seems funny to me. Using whatever tool works for you is a no-brainer. I have been playing for some time and actually didn't get rid of my 1 iron until about 3 years ago. My iron set still starts at the 2 iron, which I use from about 225 yards with a good lie on the fairway.

There are pros and cons with either choice if you ask me. I have tried the "hybrids", new marketing name for fairway woods, and found they are slightly easier to hit from the rough, but don't produce nearly the same amount of backspin that I get from the long irons. In other words I can stop my 3 iron on the green but I struggle to get say a 5 wood to do the same. I also hit irons of the same loft higher than the fairway woods of the same loft. The "softer" leading edge and larger heads of the hybrids do get it out of the rough easier though.

In the end, if you have decent clubhead speed and like to work the ball, long irons are the way to go. If you have slower clubhead speed and spend a lot of time in the rough, hybrids are probably a better choice for you to go with.

By the way, I dropped the 1 iron because I decided that I could use a lob wedge far more often in my regular game. I use it for almost all shots 100 yards and in. I'm from the camp that tries to be expert with manipulating one club like Jack versus using four wedges like a Dave Pelz system. To each his own.

Tom

Look, if you don't carry a 3 iron then in my view, you are not a proper golfer. Hybrids are for the ladies and men in their 70s! You will never be a precision player using hybrids.

Decent golfers can hit drivers off the deck no sweat- i practice that all the time at the range...that is the best form of practice.

It may have something to do that today's 3-iron is like yester-year's 2-iron. The ironic thing is that it's the game improvement iron that have the stronger lofts... Hurting the people their supposed to help...

titleistprov1x |nikeneo |●| callawayx-forged 54/60 |● |mizunoMP68

adamsproblack 3H |●| mizunoMPtitanium5w/3w |●| mizunoMP630FT

Funny story: My 3i sits in the bag alot, unused. I was playing a par 5 that I had never hit in 2. I bomb my drive but pull it into the left rough, kinda behind a tree. I'm 200-210 out and I'm looking at playing the ball low, under the branches and my hope is I can just stay out of bunkers. I grab the 3 iron and put a swing on it to hopefully keep it low and in play....FLUSH. "On the screws", under the branches, (beautiful ball flight) over the flag and comes to rest in the back fringe. Two putts for birdie.

I LOVE long irons!!

It may have something to do that today's 3-iron is like yester-year's 2-iron. The ironic thing is that it's the game improvement iron that have the stronger lofts... Hurting the people their supposed to help...

yeah, I always though that was ironic. lets decrease the lofts, that will make them easier to hit!

• 3 weeks later...
I semi-recently got the titleist 755's 4-pw. When I bought them I wanted a 3-iron, so I asked them if they could order one for me. No joke, for 5 minutes the cashier tried convincing me not to buy a 3i because it was "worthless" in his opinion.

don't you hate this?

I semi-recently got the titleist 755's 4-pw. When I bought them I wanted a 3-iron, so I asked them if they could order one for me. No joke, for 5 minutes the cashier tried convincing me not to buy a 3i because it was "worthless" in his opinion.

Oh man...that would piss me off big time. Really poor form. Of course, behavior like that makes perfect business sense from his perspective. Why sell you a $90.00 iron when he can sell you a $199.00 hybrid?

Driver: R7 425 TP w/ stock Fujikura stiff shaft
Hybrid: 16 degree baffler pro with stiff Fujikura Speeder shaft
Irons: X-20 tour 3-PW w/ 6.0 Project X shafts
52 degree wedge: MR w/ Royal Spinner shaft
56 degree wedge: MR w/ Royal Spinner shaft60 degree wedge: MR w/ Royal Spinner shaftPutter:...

I carry a 3i, and dont plan on changing to a hybrid anytime soon. I have no problem with my 3i from 200-220 yards, and 180-190 from the rough. Admittedly, I probably can carry a 21 degree hyrid 15 yards or more farther than a 3i. But that is really all it is..distance. Hybrids lanuch the ball like a fairway wood for the most part and you dont have the same spin control you would have using a 3i.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

still VERY new to this game but ive made a point to use my EQUIVELENT of a 2(18*) and 3(22*) iron and am starting to get some results and i LOVE the long low ball flight they produce,in particular some great tee shots..................the more i learn about this game the more im hooked..........
Driver:Louisville Golf Transitional driver(15*)
Wood:Tad Moore/Tom Morris Brassie(14*)
Long IronTad Moore/Tom Morris Cleek(18*)
Long Iron:Tad Moore/Tom Morris Mid Iron(22*)
Approach:Tad Moore OA Hickories Jigger(26*)Approach:Burke T ray Mongrel MashieApproach:Tad Moore OA Hickories Mashie(37*)Short:Geor...

Note: This thread is 5809 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!