IGNORED

Tired of People Hating on the 3-iron

iacas
Note: This thread is 5809 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Do you carry a 3-iron? What's your handicap index?

• Yes; Single Digits
    • No; Single Digits
    • Yes; 10-18
    • No; 10-18
    • Yes; 19+
    • No; 19+

I like my 3 iron, and hopefully are going to hit my new 2 iron as good.

I love it for the "tiger-esc" stinger of the tee. i also don't like people saying
"yeah but i get more distance with my 3 hybrid"
WHO CARES, you dont use irons for distance, accuracy and distance CONTROL, is why i carry irons.

otherwise we would all be using Cleveland HIbore hybrid irons, MEGA LONG!! lol

INT Grom

MP600 - UST V2 STIFF SHAFT

PT906F2 UST V2 STIFF SHAFT RESCUE DUAL MP60 Irons CG12 Wedges Redwood Anser Black SatinITS ALL GOOD!! =]

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I hit my 3 iron well off the tee, but lately I've been hitting my 5w as accurately as the 3i. On non-league nights I've been playing with 15 clubs (added a gap wedge) and I've also been keeping track of how many times I hit each club for the past 4 rounds. I hit the gap a lot more than the 3. So now the 3 is out. (I did the same process with the 2i and 5w.)

titleistprov1x |nikeneo |●| callawayx-forged 54/60 |● |mizunoMP68

adamsproblack 3H |●| mizunoMPtitanium5w/3w |●| mizunoMP630FT

I too am tired of people saying that there is no point in carrying a 3-iron just because they can't hit one. I carry a 3-iron and a 2-hybrid and I can hit the 3-iron almost as high and just as straight as my hybrid. The advantage of the 3-iron is that I can keep it under the wind a little easier and I can use it for punch shots out of trees. People should stop saying that the 3-iron is a thing of the past because it will still be around for many more years to come.

In the bag:

driver Big Ben CS3 9.5º
3-wood 906F4 15.5º
hybrid rescue mid 19ºirons: MP-60 3-PWwedges vokey spin-milled 54º and 60ºputter tracy IIball Pro V1

Let's not forget about the 2-iron too. When I pull it out on the tee-box after someone just hit their nifty little hybrid, they just glare at me. Then I lace one about 240yds and smile.

It's not that I'm anti-hybrid. I really would like to have one when the conditions are right. But for now, I like being able to rip a 2/3 iron and be able to control the trajectory and have the same amount of distance.
What I play:
Cleveland HiBore XLS 9.5 Fujikura Stiff flex | Titleist 735.cm Stainless Steel True Temper S300 3-PW | Titleist Vokey GW 52 | Cleveland 588 SW 56 | Titleist Vokey LW 60 | Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless | Titleist Pro V1x

Where I play:
Texas A&M UniversityHow I play:Goals for 2008

I definitely carry a 3 and intend to always carry a 3i. Honestly, I don't think it's all that hard to hit. I think most of it is a mental thing. I mishit my 3i less often than my PW because I don't have a mental block about that club, and it always just flies nicely for me.

I don't use the 3 very often, because I'm better with my hybrid, but I like to use the 3 out of some of the rougher stuff and off the tee.

Driver: Big Ben C-S3
3w: Tight Lies
Irons: T-Zoid True
Wedges: Vokey 56* and 60* spin-milled
Putter: unknown 3-ballBall: HX-Tour/Tour ix

I'm all about the 3I & could really give a rat's azz what anyone has to say about it being in my bag--even when I was a 36-capper, I didn't hit it any worse than the rest of my bag. When in the market for a new set, if the salesperson even hints at steering me away from it, I'm walking. -LBB

Bag: Bagboy NXO Revolver
Driver: Dymo STR8-FIT Tour 9.5
3w: Nike T405w: Nike T40Irons: Mizuno MP-33 3-PWSW: Nike SV Tour Black Satin 56/10LW: Nike SV Tour Black Satin 60/06Ball: Nike TA2/SPN

No, I don't carry the 3. I would rather carry a 5w and an extra wedge. My 4 iron goes 190 and I do switch out the 5w for a 1 iron if the course has a few tight fairways.

I don't carry hybrids for the same reason I hunt whitetails with a traditional longbow.

I don't carry a 3 iron because my irons are super lofted to the point where the 3 iron is 19* and the PW is 44*, creating a huge distance gap between my PW and my 52* gap wedge, and I had to buy an extra (48*) wedge to fill that gap. My 4 iron has the same loft as most of your 3 irons and I use it about the same way that you all use you 3 irons. I like it off of the tee, and use it to control trajectory. When I improve and buy a set of players irons with normal lofts I will defenently get a 3 iron.
In the blue and tan grom Bag:

Driver r7 460 10.5*
Fairway Woods '07 Burner 15* and 18*
Irons 4-PW r7 XDWedges 47*, 52*, 58* CG14,Putter TiffanyBall One Tour D

I'll always keep the 3 iron in my bag no matter how bad I hit it. Though I hit it poorly on some shots, I think perfecting the abilities with the long irons helps your abilities with your clubs throughout the bag.

Best Regards,
Ryan

In the :ogio: bag:
:nike: VR-S Covert Tour Driver 10.5 :nike: VR-S Covert Tour 3W :titleist: 712U 21*
:nike: VR Pro Blades 4-PW :vokey: Vokeys 52*, 56* & 60* :scotty_cameron: Studio Select Newport 2
:leupold:
:true_linkswear: 

I've had my old Cobra TRD V-Groove 1 iron back in my bag for about a month now and I'm having lots of fun playing shots from the middle of the fairway again!

I pulled it out and replaced it with a hybrid a few years ago and have tried 4 or 5 hybrids since then and not really liked any of them all that much. I went the hybrid route in the first place to replace my 1 and 2 irons with something easier to hit which they did achieve when it came to being easier to use off the fairway or out of the rough, but I struggle for consistency with them off the tee. A while ago I started making notes as to how many times I used a hybrid off the fairway or out of the rough and compared it to how often I used it off the tee over a total of 11 rounds. I used the hybrid off the tee 24 times and I used it off the fairway/rough 6 times, so the decision to put the 1 iron back in the bag was pretty easy.

My lowest club is a 6 iron. I'm not good though, but can replace 5 and lower with hybrids. The main reason is my swing isn't good enough to be able to hit anything below 5 with reasonable length. I don't see why I should annoy myself with clubs I can't use. When I become single handicap maybe (if I'll ever be) and my swing is good and reliable enough to play with the long irons, but at this point, it's doing way more damage than good.

The long irons are with no doubt the hardest clubs to hit, the hybrids are far more forgiving for me.

I don't see why you should bother about people hating long irons. It's their game, there is no secret that every golf swing is different. That is why everyone must compose their bag with different preferences.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I don't carry one simply because my set didn't come with one. I may get on in the future.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

Today I was at the driving range and I decided to get my 3 iron (lofted like a two iron) out of my car and see how well I could hit it since I was hitting all of my other irons well, and I bombed it straight and high. I then pulled out my two hybrid and I didn't hit it nearly as well as the 3 iron. I was slicing it, losing distance, and it didn't even go as high. I am now going to try the 3 iron (which is lofted like a 2 iron) instead of my 2 iron hybrid for a while and see what happens.

Driver r7 460 10.5*

Interesting discussion. I am currently carrying only 13 clubs, listed in my signature. I have been toying with either getting a 3 iron (mostly for low punch outs from the woods, which I seem to play quite often) or another wedge. My gap wedge is 49.5* and my lowest wedge is a 56* sand. What would be a better way to waste some money: a 52 or 54* wedge or a 20* 3 iron, when I'm already carrying a 19* hybrid?

Advice.

Jason Allison
---------------
In my stand bag (which I carry on my OWN back):

10.5* Burner driver Burner 15* 3 wood Burner Rescue 19* Hybrid FP II irons, 4 thru GW No. 588 56* Sand and 60* Lob wedges White Hot XG Tour Rossie Putter NXT Tour ballsOnPar GPS deviceAnd ALL my shafts are stiff.

Interesting discussion. I am currently carrying only 13 clubs, listed in my signature. I have been toying with either getting a 3 iron (mostly for low punch outs from the woods, which I seem to play quite often) or another wedge. My gap wedge is 49.5* and my lowest wedge is a 56* sand. What would be a better way to waste some money: a 52 or 54* wedge or a 20* 3 iron, when I'm already carrying a 19* hybrid?

I would get a 52* wedge. That would have a greater effect on your score more by fixing your gap between the 49.5* wedge and he 56* wedge, the distance I'm sure that you hit more often. You could probably hit the low punch shot with a 4 iron as well as a 3 iron, and the 19* would work for the distance for you.

Driver r7 460 10.5*

I carry a 3-iron and have no issues with breaking it out whether in the fairway or in the rough. THen again I also carry a 2-iron and have no issues with that either.

----------------------------
In the Grom:

Driver: Sasquatch 9.5 Mitsubishi Diamana XS
3 Wood: Bubble Burner (needs to be replaced immediately)7 Wood: Steelhead IIIIrons: CG1 Black Pearls 2-PWWedges: 650 - 56 degree; 60 degree Putter: White Hot XG9 33"Ball: ProV1

although my current set is rather limited driver, 7 iron, pw lw and putter, i really do like long irons instead of hybrids

the reason is, i know how to swing a driver and i know how to swing and iron, i dont know how to swing something that is half and half, aint consistant with hybrid

Note: This thread is 5809 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!