IGNORED

Uncomfortable Lesson

Note: This thread is 3214 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi everybody! So in my quest to break 90 and be the best golfer I can possibly be I've begun taking lessons and scouring through golf forums to try to absorb as much as possible. My instructor seems like a knowledgable coach but I has an uncomfortable experience in our last session. This may sound bizarre but he tells me I've got 'jumpy' hips and we need to quiet them down. He got me into posture the other day, and He kept putting his hands on my hips and was getting uncomfortably close to my backside. He said he was guiding my hip motion, but it felt borderline over the top. Is it me or does this sort of thing happen often in a lesson? A man holding another mans hips just doesn't resonate we'll with me....

I disagree. A few weeks ago, I had a lesson and my coach guided my entire body including the hips to feel what a proper turn is. If he had not done that, there no way, I would have felt how dramatic of a turn is needed. You're being way over sensitive. In my opinion, though. If the instructor (a guy) would do that to a lady, I would suggest he asks first. I am not gay. You are making

a big deal over nothing. SG

I disagree. A few weeks ago, I had a lesson and my coach guided my entire body including the hips to feel what a proper turn is. If he had not done that, there no way, I would have felt how dramatic of a turn is needed. You're being way over sensitive. In my opinion, though. If the instructor (a guy) would do that to a lady, I would suggest he asks first. I am not gay. You are making

a big deal over nothing. SG

Look man, I don't particularly care about your sexual orientation....hell i'm an organic farmer, there's a lot of hippie fruity types in my business. Doesn't bother me the least. Last thing I want during a damn golf lesson is feeling a man's 'piece' pressed up on me. End of story. I think I may stick to online lessons.....how much do you guys charge?

Yes I agree...he was most certainly trying to get me to feel his 'piece'. Thanks for the heads up, i'll most certainly make sure he shows me another way.

I think you misunderstood what was meant by piece, but I damn near spit out the water I was drinking when I read your response.. Funny..

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

I touch students occasionally. I respect their space and will certainly not get anywhere near as close as it seems the instructor in the OP got… I also don't always ask. Sometimes it's not necessary. I'm familiar with the guy, I can read him pretty well, etc. Sometimes I'll "push" with the butt end of a club, or a pool noodle, instead of my hands. Sometimes just demonstrating or describing what they need to do is not enough.

If you're uncomfortable say something.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Unless this instructor is amazing (I'm betting there are quite a few in this forum) just get a new one. I mean really , how awkward to continue having to tell him he's getting too "friendly" with you.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

I touch students occasionally. I respect their space and will certainly not get anywhere near as close as it seems the instructor in the OP got… I also don't always ask. Sometimes it's not necessary. I'm familiar with the guy, I can read him pretty well, etc. Sometimes I'll "push" with the butt end of a club, or a pool noodle, instead of my hands. Sometimes just demonstrating or describing what they need to do is not enough.

If you're uncomfortable say something.

OK now I'm starting to question the golf teaching business as a whole. I mean, you're the second guy on this forum alone to make subtle sexual references here in regards to teaching golf. The other guy was talking about feeling 'pieces' and here you are talking pushing your 'pool noodle'. A lot of subtle sexual undertones in play here. I know this is a sport dominated by men, where men are working primarily with other men but jees uh....this is getting a little suspect. Now I've spent my entire life massaging greasy, oily avocados and have had a few experiences with my cousins that we won't get into here,  but this reminds me of the scene in Tin Cup...."Romeo, if you remove the sexual undertones in that I will be your Juliette".

• Administrator
I mean, you're the second guy on this forum alone to make subtle sexual references here in regards to teaching golf.

No, I didn't. If I want someone's hands to move some direction I'll use the butt end of a club (the grip) or a pool noodle to do it. Or their head. Or their hips.

That is not a sexual reference at all . You are completely wrong about that.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I mean, you're the second guy on this forum alone to make subtle sexual references here in regards to teaching golf. The other guy was talking about feeling 'pieces' and here you are talking pushing your 'pool noodle'. A lot of subtle sexual undertones in play here. I know this is a sport dominated by men, where men are working primarily with other men but jees uh....this is getting a little suspect.

When I said " feel the piece", I was obviously referring to the swing piece, the hips opening or whatever.

Are you being serious with this or joking around?

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

When I said "[COLOR=181818]feel the piece", I was obviously referring to the swing piece, the hips opening or whatever.[/COLOR] [COLOR=181818]Are you being serious with this or joking around?[/COLOR]

He's just joking around.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

When I said "feel the piece", I was obviously referring to the swing piece, the hips opening or whatever.

Are you being serious with this or joking around?

No sorry I live out in the sticks in an avocado grove. Spend most my time farming so I'm not up on the current lingo. I'm not familiar with 'pieces' or 'noodles' when it comes to golf sorry. Let's just get hypothetical for a little bit though, I mean there is NO question in my mind this instructor was getting to close for comfort and using his authority as a professional to touch me inappropriately. If we had to put a % on golf instructors who were either homosexual- openly or still in the closet, would it be around 50%? Would make sense to me, spending significant time around men moving in what could be considered unnatural motions. Like I said, i'm not homophopic in any way shape or form....just trying to wrap my head around the idea this may be a rampant occurrence  in the golf industry and just something I need to accept. I'm addicted to this wonderful game and plan on playing it out the rest of my days and will continue to try to improve.

[QUOTE name="mvmac" url="/t/83155/uncomfortable-lesson/18#post_1167549"]   When I said "[COLOR=181818]feel the piece", I was obviously referring to the swing piece, the hips opening or whatever.[/COLOR] [COLOR=181818]Are you being serious with this or joking around?[/COLOR] [/QUOTE] No sorry I live out in the sticks in an avocado grove. Spend most my time farming so I'm not up on the current lingo. I'm not familiar with 'pieces' or 'noodles' when it comes to golf sorry. Let's just get hypothetical for a little bit though, I mean there is NO question in my mind this instructor was getting to close for comfort and using his authority as a professional to touch me inappropriately. If we had to put a % on golf instructors who were either homosexual- openly or still in the closet, would it be around 50%? Would make sense to me, spending significant time around men moving in what could be considered unnatural motions. Like I said, i'm not homophopic in any way shape or form....just trying to wrap my head around the idea this may be a rampant occurrence  in the golf industry and just something I need to accept. I'm addicted to this wonderful game and plan on playing it out the rest of my days and will continue to try to improve.

Now you are getting a bit out of line. Are you posting a serious question or just starting a troll thread accusing golf instructors of being predators? If it's the later, you will be restricted from your own thread. If it's the former, then please listen to the instructors who've commented.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Now you are getting a bit out of line. Are you posting a serious question or just starting a troll thread accusing golf instructors of being predators? If it's the later, you will be restricted from your own thread. If it's the former, then please listen to the instructors who've commented.

OK, my apologies, not trying to offend anyone. I'll defer to the expertise of the professional who a run this site. I think I may be just a little hyper-sensitive to the fact that I felt violated. Lets go a different direction I suppose. I've been thinking a lot about this the last couple days and I've been playing golf nearly 2 months now and really really love this game and sport. I've decided I love this game to the point that I believe I would sometime love to teach golf as  a secondary profession. I believe I could do just as good a job as 'happy hands' (j/k) and believe I will be regularly shooting in the 80's within the next several months. What did you guys do to get to the level of teaching? I understand a lot of this is marketing and developing your own clients....but I have experience taking a small avocado grove and partnering into a multi-national guacamole conglomerate.

Quote:

Originally Posted by boogielicious

OK, my apologies, not trying to offend anyone. I'll defer to the expertise of the professional who a run this site. I think I may be just a little hyper-sensitive to the fact that I felt violated. Lets go a different direction I suppose. I've been thinking a lot about this the last couple days and I've been playing golf nearly 2 months now and really really love this game and sport. I've decided I love this game to the point that I believe I would sometime love to teach golf as  a secondary profession. I believe I could do just as good a job as 'happy hands' (j/k) and believe I will be regularly shooting in the 80's within the next several months. What did you guys do to get to the level of teaching? I understand a lot of this is marketing and developing your own clients....but I have experience taking a small avocado grove and partnering into a multi-national guacamole conglomerate.

I use Evolvr, which is an on-line teaching system. It is less expensive and I send in videos when I can.  It is very good and I highly recommend it.  I've never found a local instructor I liked.  They seemed to never explain why they wanted me to do something.  I learned about Evolvr when I met Erik (this forum's owner) and Dave Wedzik at a clinic.  The instructors are top notch.

If you would like to check it out, the link is below.

http://evolvr.thegolfevolution.com/whatis

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I use Evolvr, which is an on-line teaching system. It is less expensive and I send in videos when I can.  It is very good and I highly recommend it.  I've never found a local instructor I liked.  They seemed to never explain why they wanted me to do something.  I learned about Evolvr when I met Erik (this forum's owner) and Dave Wedzik at a clinic.  The instructors are top notch.

If you would like to check it out, the link is below.

http://evolvr.thegolfevolution.com/whatis

Hey thanks for the info! I'll check it out, maybe sign up for a few lessons. Do you think they would be interested in putting me into a certification program to teach with them? I think i'm pretty good.

Note: This thread is 3214 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!