IGNORED

2015 PGA Championship at Whistling Straits Discussion Thread

RiddleMeThis
Note: This thread is 3172 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
I figured D.J. Was way behind considering lack of coverage today. Weird that he wasn't covered very much at 9 under...

-9 is way behind… :D

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Day oh my gosh. Wow!

Day is -6 his last 6 holes! Whew.

Day has played 10,11,12,13 at -7 the last 2 days.  Those 8 holes account for half his scoring almost (of his 50 played so far). Will be interesting if his good vibes on these holes continues tomorrow. He's eating that early back 9 stretch up. The field has played same stretch at -1.5.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Rough not as penal as I thought it was going to be. Guys are missing fairways and greens and drawing good lies. Combine that with soft conditions, little wind, pretty easy pin positions, 4 par-5s and some short par-4s and you're going to get great scores. Imagine if they didn't have the heavy wind Thursday afternoon? There'd be around 15 or more guys in double digits now.

Another thing is these greens aren't like Augusta or Oakmont next year where there are a lot of slopes. You don't get a lot of big breakers out there. A lot of putts are pretty straight or just slight breaks too them. So many putts being made.

7400 yards and these guys are killing the course.  Watching Day and others dissect this course makes me question if it's not time to roll back the golf ball for these guys.  Overall I don't like bi-furcation, but if there's no wind, this course how no defense for their distance and wedge play.

Joe Paradiso

7400 yards and these guys are killing the course.  Watching Day and others dissect this course makes me question if it's not time to roll back the golf ball for these guys.  Overall I don't like bi-furcation, but if there's no wind, this course how no defense for their distance and wedge play.

Are they even playing it at 7400? Feel like they've moved up the tees a bit on some of these holes. This course has too many "easy" holes. 1, 6, 10, 13, and 14 are all pretty short par-4s where guys are hitting easy wedges with their second shots.  The 12th is a pretty easy par-3. Then you have four par-5s all that can be reached in two. That's 10 holes where birdie is very much in play. When you have that many birdie holes, guys are going to tear it up. What's helping the scoring, too, is little wind and the rough is not very penal. Too many guys are missing greens and fairways and drawing lies where the ball is sitting up like it's on a tee.

Whistling Straits is the new St. Andrew's where in if you don't have any wind, you can destroy this place.

Are they even playing it at 7400? Feel like they've moved up the tees a bit on some of these holes. This course has too many "easy" holes. 1, 6, 10, 13, and 14 are all pretty short par-4s where guys are hitting easy wedges with their second shots.  The 12th is a pretty easy par-3. Then you have four par-5s all that can be reached in two. That's 10 holes where birdie is very much in play. When you have that many birdie holes, guys are going to tear it up. What's helping the scoring, too, is little wind and the rough is not very penal. Too many guys are missing greens and fairways and drawing lies where the ball is sitting up like it's on a tee.

The announcers just said it's playing at 7400 but I don't know if that was exact distance for today or just them throwing out a number

Joe Paradiso

Not you specifically, but I'm always amused when people say stuff like this and then also complain about the USGA goofing around with courses. If they took 50 yards off two of the par fives and the leaders were magically -7 or so then I bet most wouldn't notice how they were picking apart the course - even though they'd be doing NOTHING different.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisP

The announcers just said it's playing at 7400 but I don't know if that was exact distance for today or just them throwing out a number

PGA Site says today is 7501.

http://www.pga.com/pgachampionship/scoring/course_stats

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Note: This thread is 3172 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!