IGNORED

2015 PGA Championship at Whistling Straits Discussion Thread

RiddleMeThis
Note: This thread is 3180 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisP

Early weather forecast looks pretty good. Only day where storms may come into play is Friday (60% chance). Looks like winds will be up on Thursday, gusting over 25mph, but not too bad the rest of the week.

After hearing Tiger's comments about how bad the mosquitoes are up there I'm wondering if I should even try to go. I tend to get bitten pretty bad and the idea of being outdoors with mosquitoes for 8 or 9 years is scaring the bejeesus out of me :) I've also been told by someone who is already up there the course is very difficult to walk. I suppose I just have to put on my big boy pants and give it a shot but I'm getting a little worried. Do they let you bring bug spray in there? The list of prohibited items is so long I can't keep track!

geez, you must think there is gonna be one helluva long playoff...    :)

I have not seen Tiger's comment, but in several days of playing courses in Kohler area in mid-July including WS we had no issues with mosquitoes, and my wife is very sensitive to this kind of thing and uses bug spray. I know the skeeters can be highly seasonal so perhaps they are worse now than then, but if so, you can time your visit other than mid-August. Plus, if the breeze is blowing you should not get them.

It's not like your local muni, but it's not that difficult to walk (assuming you are in some kind of shape and aren't spending ALL your time off the fairway), and a caddy will be carrying your bag (he's the one who will be working hard). Honestly, other courses that are part of Kohler, like Irish, are perhaps longer and harder to walk (WS is only one of 4 really nice courses associated with Kohler). I'm 65 and had no walking issues (shot making - another matter). Watching the GC pre-event broadcasts makes me want to go back, and IMO most golfers would enjoy it.

I should be getting compensated for all this promo stuff.

I'm not PLAYING in the PGA Championship, I'm going as a spectator!!!

Tiger's comment was something along the lines of "in FL the mosquitoes bite you, up here they eat you alive" after his practice round.

And, obviously, I mean HOURS, not years.

I'm not PLAYING in the PGA Championship, I'm going as a spectator!!!

Yes, that will be more work. I was thinking that you were considering going to play (if not this weekend, then some other time...).

Living in Fla., just spray on some OFF and you're fine. Not sure if it's the same solution up there. But maybe the predicted high winds tomorrow will chase the Mosquitos away.

I just hope that bug spray is not prohibited by the PGA. The guide I received with my tickets makes it sound like the only thing you can bring in is one small bottle of water. Without bug spray, I'm toast.

I'm started to get excited and think my reservations will disappear once I get there but all the driving and everything connected to it is daunting especially when I doing this alone. Sigh.

I just hope that bug spray is not prohibited by the PGA. The guide I received with my tickets makes it sound like the only thing you can bring in is one small bottle of water. Without bug spray, I'm toast.

I'm started to get excited and think my reservations will disappear once I get there but all the driving and everything connected to it is daunting especially when I doing this alone. Sigh.

If they ban you from bringing in bug spray, that would just mean you have to buy it from there inside the event.

I highly doubt they would force an entire crowd to get ravished by bugs.

Tony  

:titleist:    |   :tmade:   |     :cleveland: 

Anyone else think Patrick Reed if flying under the radar this week?  I know the big stat is FW%, but still I just can't write him off and he is at 55-1.   To cheap to pass up in my book.

He hasn't really contended in a tournament in a while. I'm not high on him this week. I think Danny Lee at 80-1 is flying under the radar. Those are long odds for a guy who is finishing in the top 5 almost every week. I have him and Jason Day on my Vegas tickets.

• Upvote 2

He hasn't really contended in a tournament in a while.

I'm not high on him this week. I think Danny Lee at 80-1 is flying under the radar. Those are long odds for a guy who is finishing in the top 5 almost every week. I have him and Jason Day on my Vegas tickets.

At 80-1 I realize this is nitpicking, but for an outright win, has Lee ever played the weekend at a major?  Looks like a great DFS pick, however.

At 80-1 I realize this is nitpicking, but for an outright win, has Lee ever played the weekend at a major?  Looks like a great DFS pick, however.

When I pick long shots, I look for who I think will be there in contention on Sunday. All you can ask for at those odds is a chance. If he's there around the lead, then you just hope and pray he can find a way to pull through. At those odds, you look for value, and he has value. Jason Day is my main pick though. Put 35 on him at 14-1.

Oh I hear you, I just am not that familiar with his entire career and the PGA site is such a PITA, I didn't feel like looking it up.

I wonder what you could get on a Lee to beat Tiger. I am not anti Tiger, but still seems very "overbought".

Anyhow good luck.

I have not read the whole thread from the front, so forgive me if it's been mentioned already please......I just saw some ridiculous odds and a few really caught my eye at being almost ridiculous and it has me wondering if the person/people that made these odds have been paying attention to golf recently:  Justin Thomas 100/1, Danny Lee 100/1, Patrick Reed 55/1, Jimmy Walker 55/1, and the biggest head-scratcher imo is Robert Streb at 150/1.

Yet Phil who has been awful lately along with Tiger are 30/1?  How DJ is that highly ranked makes me wonder too.  Did anyone watch him last week at Firestone?  He looked awful and he just put a new putter in his bag.  DJ has played great this year but it would seem to me that based on his game recently he is trending in the wrong direction.....

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have not read the whole thread from the front, so forgive me if it's been mentioned already please......I just saw some ridiculous odds and a few really caught my eye at being almost ridiculous and it has me wondering if the person/people that made these odds have been paying attention to golf recently:  Justin Thomas 100/1, Danny Lee 100/1, Patrick Reed 55/1, Jimmy Walker 55/1, and the biggest head-scratcher imo is Robert Streb at 150/1.

Yet Phil who has been awful lately along with Tiger are 30/1?  How DJ is that highly ranked makes me wonder too.  Did anyone watch him last week at Firestone?  He looked awful and he just put a new putter in his bag.  DJ has played great this year but it would seem to me that based on his game recently he is trending in the wrong direction.....

Odds are made by people placing bets...

Obviously people are betting more on Tiger, Phil and DJ than they are on Danny Lee and Justin Thomas.

Tony  

I love betting majors.  always like to play 3 players....a favorite, a middle-pack guy and a long shot. This year I've got Day-Fowler-Lee on my ticket. I've had a lot of success the last year but my luck ran out at St. Andrew's when Dustin didn't pull through.

Right now we're in a stage where the favorites are winning majors and I think it's a trend that's going to continue for a while. Now Zach was a long shot at The Open that shouldn't have been so you could have gotten a great bargain getting him at 66/1 there...and I'm still kicking myself for going with Fleetwood instead of Zach as my longshot play, but I won the contest here, so I was happy.

But I always go with someone who's coming in with good form and I always try not so much to pick a winner, but pick a guy who I think will be there on Sunday. So many guys out there are crapshoots (like Sergio) where you don't know what you're going to get. They may win or they may miss the cut. I'd rather go with a guy like Jordan or Jason who are consistent and have a good chance to be there late on Sunday. I just want to have a shot on Sunday, and if I win, so be it, but if I don't, at least my guy was in contention and had a shot. I actually really like Jordan this week, but 5-1 is not much value. Gonna be hard betting him in future majors if those odds continue. I was lucky he was 14-1 at Augusta and 10-1 at Chambers.

I love betting majors.  always like to play 3 players....a favorite, a middle-pack guy and a long shot. This year I've got Day-Fowler-Lee on my ticket. I've had a lot of success the last year but my luck ran out at St. Andrew's when Dustin didn't pull through.

Right now we're in a stage where the favorites are winning majors and I think it's a trend that's going to continue for a while. Now Zach was a long shot at The Open that shouldn't have been so you could have gotten a great bargain getting him at 66/1 there...and I'm still kicking myself for going with Fleetwood instead of Zach as my longshot play, but I won the contest here, so I was happy.

But I always go with someone who's coming in with good form and I always try not so much to pick a winner, but pick a guy who I think will be there on Sunday. So many guys out there are crapshoots (like Sergio) where you don't know what you're going to get. They may win or they may miss the cut. I'd rather go with a guy like Jordan or Jason who are consistent and have a good chance to be there late on Sunday. I just want to have a shot on Sunday, and if I win, so be it, but if I don't, at least my guy was in contention and had a shot.

The odds in golf seem awful to bet on...

In football you are playing against a spread and two teams.  You either hit that or you dont.  50/50

In golf, you have 1 golfer out of 150 or so entrants.  1/156 chance.

Tony  

The odds in golf seem awful to bet on...

In football you are playing against a spread and two teams.  You either hit that or you dont.  50/50

In golf, you have 1 golfer out of 150 or so entrants.  1/156 chance.

It's hard if you get a long shot winner, like Zach at St. Andrew's, or a guy that is going in with no form and then out of nowhere wins.  But if you look at the trend since really the end of 2012, the elite players have been winning the majors. I don't have the odds of every single one of the last 10 majors, but I guarantee at least 7 of them were among the top 5 or 10 favorites going in. I know Rory and Jordan were among the top 2 when they shared theirs, and Kaymer and Bubba were definitely among the top 10 when they won theirs. So if you trust that trend, that narrows those odds from 1/156 to 1/10 or so.

Note: This thread is 3180 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!