Jump to content
IGNORED

Titleist Introduces 716 Line of Irons and Hybrids


Note: This thread is 1974 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, dsal89 said:

Actually, another thing that I forgot to mention, I was fitted for the s300 stock shaft. I tried others but this was just the shaft that I hit best. I love the everything about how it feels. My ball flight is incredibly close to where I want it to be. 

 

Obviously my 9 irons and pw got a little higher than I'd love but I can work on that  

Forgive me but why did your 9I & PW get a little higher than you'd like?

The only thing I'm concerned about with the AP1's is the PW has a loft of 43° and W1 has a loft of 47°.  I don't know what the loft of my current PW but if it's 48°, I'm concerned about the gap I might have since my next wedge is 52°.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I kind of hate the fact that Titleist releases their clubs in October. My season is basically over by then, so they come out just in time to taunt me ;-)

Yeah, basically. If the MBs are right for you, you don't need a youtube review to tell you.

24 minutes ago, RFKFREAK said:

Forgive me but why did your 9I & PW get a little higher than you'd like?

The only thing I'm concerned about with the AP1's is the PW has a loft of 43° and W1 has a loft of 47°.  I don't know what the loft of my current PW but if it's 48°, I'm concerned about the gap I might have since my next wedge is 52°.

 

I just prefer a lower flying shot. That's all 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, RFKFREAK said:

The only thing I'm concerned about with the AP1's is the PW has a loft of 43° and W1 has a loft of 47°.  I don't know what the loft of my current PW but if it's 48°, I'm concerned about the gap I might have since my next wedge is 52°.

I had similar concerns because I have a BV 52* GW and 56* SW that are integrated with my set of 712 AP2s.  In those, I had 3-PW, but when I ordered my 716 AP1s, I went 4-GW (W1).  Fortunately, it turned out great.  I hit the W1 as far as my AP2 PW and so on.

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Tomboys said:

I had similar concerns because I have a BV 52* GW and 56* SW that are integrated with my set of 712 AP2s.  In those, I had 3-PW, but when I ordered my 716 AP1s, I went 4-GW (W1).  Fortunately, it turned out great.  I hit the W1 as far as my AP2 PW and so on.

So, yeah, whereas you took out your 3I, I might have to take out my 5W if I get the GW(W1)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, RFKFREAK said:

So, yeah, whereas you took out your 3I, I might have to take out my 5W if I get the GW(W1)

Perhaps.  It really depends on the distance gaps you're getting.  In my case, I have a driver, 3W, 4-W1, 52, 56 and putter.  So, that's only 13 clubs.  Since my low-end is set, I have space for a 19* hybrid that'll slot between my 3W and 4i. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Tomboys said:

Perhaps.  It really depends on the distance gaps you're getting.  In my case, I have a driver, 3W, 4-W1, 52, 56 and putter.  So, that's only 13 clubs.  Since my low-end is set, I have space for a 19* hybrid that'll slot between my 3W and 4i. 

True.  If the PW for the 716's goes the same distance as my current PW, then I won't need to.

Then I'll have to convince myself to not get the W1 & W2. :whistle:

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

@RFKFREAK If I were you, I'd get the 5 - W2 with the set, and just use a 58* LW. At our HCs we might have some problems with distance gapping. I found that my set wedges were easier to hit than the Vokeys I had.... and lighter too. When you add shaft length you add swing weight. The fewer clubs that feel different in the bag the better.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 minutes ago, DrvFrShow said:

@RFKFREAK If I were you, I'd get the 5 - W2 with the set, and just use a 58* LW. At our HCs we might have some problems with distance gapping. I found that my set wedges were easier to hit than the Vokeys I had.... and lighter too. When you add shaft length you add swing weight. The fewer clubs that feel different in the bag the better.

Don't have a 58*.  Currently have a 52/56/60 so, since the W2 is 52*, if it goes the same distance as my current 52*, then it wouldn't be an issue.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If your current 52 is a muscleback the W2 (CB) will go further.

But if you're getting them for Xmas and have access to an indoor range, try it out. See what happens. You can always buy single clubs.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

4 minutes ago, DrvFrShow said:

If your current 52 is a muscleback the W2 (CB) will go further.

But if you're getting them for Xmas and have access to an indoor range, try it out. See what happens. You can always buy single clubs.

My 52/56/60 wedges are Acuity DN2's that I got for super cheap at Dick's which look like this:

11962078_raw.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

11 minutes ago, RFKFREAK said:

My 52/56/60 wedges are Acuity DN2's that I got for super cheap at Dick's which look like this:

11962078_raw.jpg

Stick with your current wedges if you can. If you chip with them or use them around greens, pitch, etc., I find the cavity backs that come with sets lousy for that purpose. Taylormade started putting bladed wedges in with its GI iron sets and I love that move. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 minute ago, dkolo said:

Stick with your current wedges if you can. If you chip with them or use them around greens, pitch, etc., I find the cavity backs that come with sets lousy for that purpose. Taylormade started putting bladed wedges in with its GI iron sets and I love that move. 

I think I may, if for no other reason than I'll have more discretionary income in the future to get myself some Edel wedges. :content:

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just now, RFKFREAK said:

I think I may, if for no other reason than I'll have more discretionary income in the future to get myself some Edel wedges. :content:

Yeah that's a good plan. I would buy up to whatever iron you largely use on mostly full shots. I'm starting to use the PW for some pitches and chips where I want more run out and I'm considering buying a bladier 46° because the fat sole of my PW is frustrating (also has hella offset). 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 minute ago, dkolo said:

Yeah that's a good plan. I would buy up to whatever iron you largely use on mostly full shots. I'm starting to use the PW for some pitches and chips where I want more run out and I'm considering buying a bladier 46° because the fat sole of my PW is frustrating (also has hella offset). 

Well, I stubbornly still use all of my wedges for full shots.  I think what it'll really come down to is how far I hit the PW as it relates to my current PW.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 minute ago, RFKFREAK said:

Well, I stubbornly still use all of my wedges for full shots.  I think what it'll really come down to is how far I hit the PW as it relates to my current PW.

I use them full as well, but I don't feel good going the other way with CB wedges. For what Titleist charges for their clubs, an Edel would make sense since it'll fit your needs better. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 minutes ago, dkolo said:

I use them full as well, but I don't feel good going the other way with CB wedges. For what Titleist charges for their clubs, an Edel would make sense since it'll fit your needs better. 

Agreed. 

As Julia said earlier, I can always get a the W1(47*) if the PW goes further than my current PW leaving a gap b/w the PW and my current 52* wedge.

I just worry since their PW is stronger at 43* than what I understand is a "standard" 48* PW that there'd have to be an adjustment somewhere to make it travel the same distance as a "standard" 48* PW.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

10 hours ago, RFKFREAK said:

True.  If the PW for the 716's goes the same distance as my current PW, then I won't need to.

Then I'll have to convince myself to not get the W1 & W2. :whistle:

Unfortunately, the 716 AP1 PW will probably go further than your current PW.  My AP1 PW goes almost as far as my AP2 9i.  That's why I went 4-W1 to replace my 3-PW 712 AP2s.  Also, I've always pitched and chipped with my Vokeys around the greens.  However, I tried the W1 just to see what it would do and, if I'm being totally honest, I'm getting much better results than I ever had with my BV 52*.  I don't know if it's due to the clubhead design, shaft or the combination.  But, I seem to be able to execute the shot closer to what I envisioned beforehand.  Play it back in my stance, the ball will run.  Play it forward in my stance, the ball checks.  I simply alter the length of swing to get the run or carry that I want.  Pretty awesome given my lack of talent.  Sure, I will keep playing my 56* for bunkers or when I need to hit those high soft shots over obstacles next to the greens.  But, I will probably be ordering the W2 to replace my BV 52*.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Note: This thread is 1974 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...