IGNORED

What type of course is best for you?

Duff McGee
Note: This thread is 3200 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Yeah I definitely can't hit my 5 iron 200 yards with consistency. I think Max is around 183ish. My 4 iron can go anywhere from 185 to 215 for some reason and that's my "keep it in the fairway" club. :) High Cedars is actually much more open than I originally thought when I first started playing there. Lately I've just been overpowering it. I used to hit irons all the time bc it has so many short par 4's but I realized I can basically just drive the ball over the trees on a few holes instead of plodding with accurate iron shots.
  • Upvote 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yeah I definitely can't hit my 5 iron 200 yards with consistency. I think Max is around 183ish. My 4 iron can go anywhere from 185 to 215 for some reason and that's my "keep it in the fairway" club. :)

High Cedars is actually much more open than I originally thought when I first started playing there. Lately I've just been overpowering it. I used to hit irons all the time bc it has so many short par 4's but I realized I can basically just drive the ball over the trees on a few holes instead of plodding with accurate iron shots.

Then hit 4i off the tee, doesn't matter what number is on the bottom of your club. ;-)

Tight shorter courses are always harder. At my home course, most of the scratch golfers play the "easier" course. They typically still hit 280 yards off the tee into the tighter course. My son averages 84-85 on the 6000 yard tight course, and 80 on the 7200 yard course.

The harder courses like Lost Hills in my area and many other modern courses are long and plenty of OB opportunity.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

What kills me on the first hole at HC is if I hit my tee shot a little too far right and catch the tip of one branch on that cedar on the first hole, and the ball drops down about 20 yds further, otherwise I'd be in position to reach the green in 2. I need to move back at least to gold on that course. As it is three of the par 5s play like long par 4s.

Of course this time of year you have to take into account the extra 15 yds fairway roll I'm getting with my 5 iron.

Today, I'm hitting the range for some driver and short game work. My driver went "bye bye" my last round. I was forgetting to get my weight forward off my right side half the time and it made for a very ugly and frustrating round. Push with the right leg.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Yeah that first hole is the birdie hole for sure. Also I somehow ended up in the other fairway the last two round but can still get on in two from down there if I get a clear look.

A course with no par 3's. :whistle:

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

A course with no par 3's.  :whistle:

If the missing par 3's are replaced with par 5's of 550 yards or less, count me in!

Oh, I can define this perfectly.  I assume that we're talking in relation to other golfers, and not our own score, because if it was the former I'd say short, flat, no hazards, and medium true greens.

But if we're playing to our strengths, I'd take long or short over medium.  My wedge and long game are good, but my irons are not.  If I have a lot of say, 6, 7, & 8 iron approaches my edge diminishes.

Off the tee, I want medium trouble.  If I hit a very poor tee shot, I'm in trouble, but a medicore one still results in a shot.  I hit few awful tee shots, but plenty that miss the fairway by a small margin.

I want bunkers that have an appropriate amount of sand, but not too fine.

I want greens that are receptive, but very undulating, and fast.  I hit a low ball flight but can read greens and putt well.

I want contours around the greens that run the ball away down hills.  I'm from western PA, so I'm using to pitching vs. chipping.

I want long Par 5s, and long Par 3s, but short Par 4s.

"Witty golf quote."

Curious as to why you like long par 3's. I'm actually pretty decent at these compared to the average weekend warrior, but I'm still not happy to see them. I'd rather have a 100 yard par 3 than a 200 yarder. :)

If the missing par 3's are replaced with par 5's of 550 yards or less, count me in!

Works for me!

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Curious as to why you like long par 3's. I'm actually pretty decent at these compared to the average weekend warrior, but I'm still not happy to see them. I'd rather have a 100 yard par 3 than a 200 yarder. :)

100 yards is shorter than my LW, and a pain. I'm not long enough to carry 5 wedges, but long enough that 100-150 yard par 3 are tweener yardages. Yuck.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I love short par 3's. I hate the 175-200 yard par 3's bc I feel like I should hit them and am disappointed when I don't. Anything above 200 I feel like I should miss it and if I hit it it's a bonus.

Shorter courses are best for me.

What is worse for me regardless of course length is really tough rough, like Torrey Pines.  Miss the fairway by 3 feet, in some of those lies I'm using a wedge and just trying to get back on the fairway.  It's about equivalent to a 1 stroke penalty for me.  Unless you can do this:

Curious as to why you like long par 3's.

I'm actually pretty decent at these compared to the average weekend warrior, but I'm still not happy to see them. I'd rather have a 100 yard par 3 than a 200 yarder. :)

Because I'm better at them than other golfers of my skill level.

"Witty golf quote."

Note: This thread is 3200 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!