IGNORED

2015 Solheim Cup Discussion Thread

mvmac
Note: This thread is 3147 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Who do you think will win the 2015 Solheim Cup?

• USA
    • Europe

Now you tell me. I was going to get some face paint and tattoos going for the West Coast team but changed my mind at the last minute

I tried to get the Blue team to get a thesandtrap.com temp tattoo on their foreheads, but they wouldn't bite. Would've lead to a beatdown! ;-)

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yeah, honestly, I'm not a huge fan of how they paint their faces, but I also think it does not matter. I do enjoy the irony, however, of golf writers simultaneously bashing the men for not having enough spirit but the women for having too much. It's almost like you can't satisfy cranky, old white men.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Yeah, honestly, I'm not a huge fan of how they paint their faces, but I also think it does not matter. I do enjoy the irony, however, of golf writers simultaneously bashing the men for not having enough spirit but the women for having too much. It's almost like you can't satisfy cranky, old white men.

Good point. I'm glad to hear Inkster's edict. I didn't mind the spirit but this shows a sense of seriousness that I think will carry onto the golf course.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Good point.

I'm glad to hear Inkster's edict. I didn't mind the spirit but this shows a sense of seriousness that I think will carry onto the golf course.

Maybe, but if someone isn't a "serious" type of player (the sort of Tiger/Jack school of intense focus), it may negatively impact their game. It'd be better, I think, to leave it up to the individual player.

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

Always glad to see your posts. They really add something to the discussion. Keep up the good work!  Them wearing face paint doesn't denote immaturity any more than not wearing it denotes maturity. When you start looking at that sort of minutia to improve your team, you are in trouble.  The face paint/temp tattoos add personality, which is something golf sorely, sorely lacks.

100% agree. Their enthusiasm doesn't hurt anything - and I hope that Inksters party pooper rule doesn't backfire.

100% agree. Their enthusiasm doesn't hurt anything - and I hope that Inksters party pooper rule doesn't backfire.

I think she just felt it was a distraction. Spending too much time coordinating their face paint and tattoos with their outfits.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Always glad to see your posts. They really add something to the discussion. Keep up the good work!

Them wearing face paint doesn't denote immaturity any more than not wearing it denotes maturity. When you start looking at that sort of minutia to improve your team, you are in trouble.

The face paint/temp tattoos add personality, which is something golf sorely, sorely lacks.

Thank you I'm always glad to improve the forum.

I think face paint,tattoos and mabe even body piercings are exactly what golf is missing.

I think she just felt it was a distraction. Spending too much time coordinating their face paint and tattoos with their outfits.

How much time could that really take, though? The US has colors of red, white, and blue. It's not like their outfits wouldn't color coordinate anyways. Plus, these people are professionals; they don't need to be lead around by the hand and scolded by mother to pay attention. If they weren't already paying attention they wouldn't be on Tour.

Enjoying the SC so far; I never answered the poll question, but I think the US'll win. A lot of talent on both sides, but I think this is the US's year.

Hunter Bishop

My Bag

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbishop15 View Post

How much time could that really take, though? The US has colors of red, white, and blue. It's not like their outfits wouldn't color coordinate anyways. Plus, these people are professionals; they don't need to be lead around by the hand and scolded by mother to pay attention. If they weren't already paying attention they wouldn't be on Tour.

Yeah I don't think it's a time issue, more of a focus or an attitude thing Inkster wants to change.

Here's Dottie Pepper's take.

http://www.geoffshackelford.com/homepage/2015/9/17/dottie-entitlement-attitude-plaguing-americas-women-golfers.html

Quote:

Pepper writes :

As an assistant captain, I saw an American team two years ago that was completely outplayed by a brilliant team from Europe, but the stage was set, I believe, by an attitude of privilege -- the negative and synonymous descriptions listed above -- by some key players. Players who needed to set the tone for a let's-get-the-job-done week, rather than an attitude of inconvenience and entitlement. It's not about face paint and time set aside for team manicures, or whose stilettos cost more and are a quarter-inch higher, or hair stylists and makeup artists.

Zing!

This could pertain to any team match, male or female:

It's about conserving energy for a weeklong marathon, being positive about preparations, carving out the time to make sure you understand the intricacies of the golf course and the rules that will be in play that week. It's about doing what your captain asks, even if it means staying off social media during a weather delay. It's about doing things that are not normal -- not your own selfish routine -- because the Solheim Cup is anything but normal.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

That and it sets a weird tone, an over-confident tone. It was less spirit and more flippant as if it was a foregone conclusion the US would win and I don't doubt it fired the Euro's up. When it was said and done it backfired on them because they looked silly. Kind of reminded me of that movie Bring It On. Yeah I watched it (about 10 times) I am a Eliza Dushku fan.

Dave :-)

Yeah I don't think it's a time issue, more of a focus or an attitude thing Inkster wants to change.

Here's Dottie Pepper's take.

http://www.geoffshackelford.com/homepage/2015/9/17/dottie-entitlement-attitude-plaguing-americas-women-golfers.html

Pepper's take is dumb, and makes no sense. But that's not surprising, really.

Hunter Bishop

My Bag

Enjoying the SC so far; I never answered the poll question, but I think the US'll win. A lot of talent on both sides, but I think this is the US's year.

Did you see our "buddy" John chilling on the first tee during the opening tee shots last night/this morning?

Lexi Thompson walked through the tunnel, hugged him, and I was like "hey, I just met that guy!!"

Did you see our "buddy" John chilling on the first tee during the opening tee shots last night/this morning?

Lexi Thompson walked through the tunnel, hugged him, and I was like "hey, I just met that guy!!"

Really? That's awesome! We're sort of like Lexi Thompson, because we know him too! haha

Hunter Bishop

My Bag

Ok, Paula at least got a point.  Inkster must be relieved.   What?  No ink in Inkster team's faces?  Ok, bad pun so sue me. :-P

I always wondered if any men or women take this EU vs Am thingy as seriously as they do with major tournaments (definitely NOT I'd imagine) or regular tournaments for that matter.  I hardly hear anyone going to the site two weeks prior to practice, learned the course, etc..   Their most oft stated goal is to have fun, to enjoy, etc..   Although many show their enthusiasm and emotion outside, is that for real or they are playing to the camera?

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Note: This thread is 3147 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!