IGNORED

My Swing (zero)

zero
Note: This thread is 2508 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Very good swing posting with lots of stuff to consider.Taking the video right from the start rather than already at address is a great idea and something all should do.One point to be made is that golf is a game of angles.We see you setting up,standing perfectly upright while taking your lead hand grip.No pro does it this way and perfectly upright is not the golf swing posture.So you immediately start out with the wrong grip and body angles to hit a shot.

zero.JPG

Note: I do not answer direct questions or points raised against my untested and unproven theories, have no history of teaching anyone, and post essentially the same nonsense in everyone's Member Swing threads.

8 hours ago, zero said:

I must say, while I continue to work on my OTT problem, I have removed the driver from the bag and don't miss it at all. I can hit my 3 wood within 10 yards of my driving distance but more importantly hit the fairway much much more consistently. With driver I would hit maybe 50% if that and the 3 wood is more like 75%. And so I just don't see why I should worry about it until I've ironed out the issue. And Phil makes me feel much better about it :) 

Like @boogielicious said, keep working on your driver. How's your hip turn doing? Sliding the hips back will make you more prone to coming OTT.

Good thread to take a look at.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks all. I will look into proper address. Lately, I've been addressing with my right hand on the club, feet together, then after proper distance from the ball is made, spread the feet apart. I don't know why, just feels better, but I'll check the best practices on that. Hips are doing better, turning more instead of sliding and initiating down swing with lower body. Staying on plane has been the biggest difference. Maybe if I pick up the driver now it would be better, but I'm having too much fun without it so...maybe later. I feel like I wasted a ton on time this season on the driver when I could have been improving other areas. I (can) get a max of 265 with the 3 wood and am in a playable position almost every time. Unlike the insanity of the driver. I just have a bad relationship with it mentally now. 

BTW @mvmac, yes, I've read that post about 10 times already :)

Edited by zero

- adam -

Routine: work, eat, golf, sleep, repeat

Clubs: (All Used TaylorMade) Burner Superfast Driver, JetSpeed 3&5 FW, Rescue Hybrid, Burner 2.0 Irons 5-AW, ATV Wedge 56*, White Ghost blade putter

Yes, thanks for that. I can see and feel that my right hand/arm is too dominant and this is where I've been focusing. The problem is 100% between the ears. When I close my eyes, take practice swings, feel the natural path of the clubhead, keep the right wrist cocked longer, etc., then I can see changes there. I'm seeing much better flights and even a draw occurring at the range. The club feedback also is in harmony. But then I get out on the course, see the small target really far away, and sometimes all that goes out the window against my own wishes.

But I will say that what's helped more than anything else is this forum + a few lessons. If I showed you my swing a year ago, which I will not do :), you'd wonder how I ever made contact at all. So many thanks to you all.

- adam -

Clubs: (All Used TaylorMade) Burner Superfast Driver, JetSpeed 3&5 FW, Rescue Hybrid, Burner 2.0 Irons 5-AW, ATV Wedge 56*, White Ghost blade putter

• 9 months later...

Approx 1 year later, new swing vids to analyze my progress. I REALLY APPRECIATE all your input. 

3 Hybrid

7 Iron

Pitching Wedge

- adam -

Playing a tournament tomorrow... c'mon internet! :-D

- adam -

On 9/21/2016 at 11:36 PM, zero said:

Approx 1 year later, new swing vids to analyze my progress. I REALLY APPRECIATE all your input. 

3 Hybrid

7 Iron

Pitching Wedge

Your hip turn looks better, more centered. What are your misses now and ball flight tendencies?

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

5 hours ago, boogielicious said:

Your hip turn looks better, more centered. What are your misses now and ball flight tendencies?

Thanks. When hit correctly, ball flight is straight or high fade. Still chunking or topping ~10-20% of the time. I think my arms are way too tense, they don't appear to ever get fully extended.

- adam -

5 minutes ago, zero said:

Thanks. When hit correctly, ball flight is straight or high fade. Still chunking or topping ~10-20% of the time. I think my arms are way too tense, they don't appear to ever get fully extended.

Have you played with ball position at all? In the videos, it appears you have the ball near your left heel for all three clubs. Maybe try moving it back a half ball width and see if the contact is better. Ball flight may lower a small amount, but better contact may be worth it.

• Upvote 1

Scott

My Swing Thread

10 hours ago, boogielicious said:

Have you played with ball position at all? In the videos, it appears you have the ball near your left heel for all three clubs. Maybe try moving it back a half ball width and see if the contact is better. Ball flight may lower a small amount, but better contact may be worth it.

Well, apparently, under pressure, the club face is random so playing with ball position may or may not help :) But I will try a half ball back and see what happens. Thanks.

- adam -

• 3 months later...
(edited)

Progress update: working on in-to-out path, was getting a good draw and decided to video for your input. Always appreciated!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Spp23uq5bnM

(WHY?? The link could not be embedded because www.youtube.com does not allow embedding of that video.)

Edited by zero

- adam -

9 hours ago, zero said:

Progress update: working on in-to-out path, was getting a good draw and decided to video for your input. Always appreciated!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Spp23uq5bnM

(WHY?? The link could not be embedded because www.youtube.com does not allow embedding of that video.)

do you have it set to private?

Scott

My Swing Thread

On 9/26/2016 at 1:13 PM, boogielicious said:

This will probably help a lot with hitting thin/fat shots. I just recently saw a tip about getting set up. Basically set your feet about shoulder width apart with the ball right in the middle for 8i and shorter, and widen by moving your back foot away from the target for longer clubs. This accomplishes two things: moving the ball position forward and widening your stance all at once. You should get progressively wider with longer clubs.

4 hours ago, boogielicious said:

do you have it set to private?

Well, I changed it to Unlisted but then just checked, and yes, it was private. Let's try now.

3 hours ago, SirDustinLongJohnson said:

This will probably help a lot with hitting thin/fat shots. I just recently saw a tip about getting set up. Basically set your feet about shoulder width apart with the ball right in the middle for 8i and shorter, and widen by moving your back foot away from the target for longer clubs. This accomplishes two things: moving the ball position forward and widening your stance all at once. You should get progressively wider with longer clubs.

Cool idea, but will that move the ball position up near the left heel enough for the long clubs?

- adam -

• 1 month later...

Noticed my divot angles after practice today. Inside-out swing practice paying off? Do they look right? Ball striking is feeling good and drawing more often. 

Divots.png

- adam -

Untitled.thumb.png.b0328c660512f213f36d8f0320b1b33c.png

The thing that stands out to me (and it may just be because this is one of the things I have had to work on in the past) is that the club is massively 'across the line (pointing to your right) at the top of the backswing, which will make it very difficult to shallow it out on the downswing.

Therefore, at A5, you see the following:

zerohalfway.png.7898d00fc797976fc18262e0eb02a8e4.png

And from that position (really steep shaft, coming slight over the top), there's next to no way you'll hit out on the ball; your body has no option but to wipe across it, which causes either a fade/slice if you open out the face, or the straight pull you saw in the video when your face is neutral to the path and therefore the ball goes straight left.

As a comparison from when I was working on this piece, my before/after pics looked like this. My way was to actually work on fixing the right elbow position, so the knockon effects of straightening out the club position and the left arm are an added bonus:

beforeafter.thumb.png.c03af70f6803f9f55c90c26f5ec8cbb7.png

Hope this helps - I'm by no means a pro and it's entirely possible that someone else might contradict me as they'll know better, but it seems exactly the same as what I was doing. If you do work on it, don't focus on ball flight at all for the first week - it'll go everywhere as your body gets used to it, but in the long run, this is better!

Edited by b101

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

7 hours ago, b101 said:

Untitled.thumb.png.b0328c660512f213f36d8f0320b1b33c.png

The thing that stands out to me (and it may just be because this is one of the things I have had to work on in the past) is that the club is massively 'across the line (pointing to your right) at the top of the backswing, which will make it very difficult to shallow it out on the downswing.

Therefore, at A5, you see the following:

zerohalfway.png.7898d00fc797976fc18262e0eb02a8e4.png

And from that position (really steep shaft, coming slight over the top), there's next to no way you'll hit out on the ball; your body has no option but to wipe across it, which causes either a fade/slice if you open out the face, or the straight pull you saw in the video when your face is neutral to the path and therefore the ball goes straight left.

As a comparison from when I was working on this piece, my before/after pics looked like this. My way was to actually work on fixing the right elbow position, so the knockon effects of straightening out the club position and the left arm are an added bonus:

beforeafter.thumb.png.c03af70f6803f9f55c90c26f5ec8cbb7.png

Hope this helps - I'm by no means a pro and it's entirely possible that someone else might contradict me as they'll know better, but it seems exactly the same as what I was doing. If you do work on it, don't focus on ball flight at all for the first week - it'll go everywhere as your body gets used to it, but in the long run, this is better!

Thanks! I've noticed the clubhead over there but didn't realize it was part of the problem!

- adam -

One thing I noticed from the last down the line video, you take the hands way inside on the takeaway and almost do a C to get hands up to where they should be. It's like you take them as deep as they will go and then lift them up.

Note: This thread is 2508 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!