IGNORED

2015 Newport Cup Matches Thread

mvmac
Note: This thread is 3090 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Two big turning points in match 1: 8th hole, all square, and Matt cranks his tee shot OB. Colin and I are in position to go 1 up with 1 to play and he hits three perfect shots after that for a par to halve the hole. Another par on 9 wins the front. And then the aforementioned clutch putt on 18. What was 2.5-0.5 East could've easily been the opposite or even 0-3. Close, close match. Time for foursomes!!! (First match is me and Barrett vs Vince and Hunter)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thursday Morning wraps up. GO EAST!!! Well done!!!

Maybe I'm reading this wrong but how does the West Team win the first match by 5, the second by 4, and win overall by 6? :hmm:

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Maybe I'm reading this wrong but how does the West Team win the first match by 5, the second by 4, and win overall by 6? :hmm:

We all were confused at first ... Basically the overall was over at 6&5, which is why it looks funny.

Two big turning points in match 1:

8th hole, all square, and Matt cranks his tee shot OB. Colin and I are in position to go 1 up with 1 to play and he hits three perfect shots after that for a par to halve the hole. Another par on 9 wins the front.

And then the aforementioned clutch putt on 18. What was 2.5-0.5 East could've easily been the opposite or even 0-3. Close, close match.

Time for foursomes!!! (First match is me and Barrett vs Vince and Hunter)

Ok, 8th hole I'm really confused.  Through 5 you were here:

You then went to the 8th all square and Matt hits his tee shot OB.  The "he" in the statement, " he hits three perfect shots after that for a par to halve the hole," I presume is Matt and you halve the hole.

"Another par on 9 wins the front."  The par the 9th I presume was for the East Team.  Did the West team bogey 9?  Because according to this, the East Team won the front 9 by 1 hole:

Christian

Two big turning points in match 1: 8th hole, all square, and Matt cranks his tee shot OB. Colin and I are in position to go 1 up with 1 to play and he hits three perfect shots after that for a par to halve the hole. Another par on 9 wins the front. And then the aforementioned clutch putt on 18. What was 2.5-0.5 East could've easily been the opposite or even 0-3. Close, close match. Time for foursomes!!! (First match is me and Barrett vs Vince and Hunter)

Matt eagled the 8th with his second ball after jacking the first one out?! Or did he get a stroke there and made 6, net 5 to halve the hole? Either way, it's a helluva rebound hitting 3 off the tee!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Two big turning points in match 1:

8th hole, all square, and Matt cranks his tee shot OB. Colin and I are in position to go 1 up with 1 to play and he hits three perfect shots after that for a par to halve the hole. Another par on 9 wins the front.

And then the aforementioned clutch putt on 18. What was 2.5-0.5 East could've easily been the opposite or even 0-3. Close, close match.

Time for foursomes!!! (First match is me and Barrett vs Vince and Hunter)

Matt eagled the 8th with his second ball after jacking the first one out?! Wow!

Amazing. I'll bet there were a ton of turning points. I would check every half hour, and it seemed like matches 2&3 were going back and forth (and close at the turn- for that point). I hope they get time to remember all the stories, because after the afternoon rounds, it will all seem like a blur, I'm sure.

My feel that things were going in the West's direction (they had RED in all 4 boxes that were uncounted at that point late on the back 9) was wrong. The East eked out what they needed to do.

I'm curious to know the hot hand in Match 2.

I guess if you look at each 9 as a separate match, you could easily have 5&3 front, the 4&3 back.... but if the East fought back on the holes that "didn't matter" for the front 9 (i.e., holes 7,8,9), then for the 18 hole match, you could reasonably get 6&5 or something.  Very interesting.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Matt eagled the 8th with his second ball after jacking the first one out?! Or did he get a stroke there and made 6, net 5 to halve the hole? Either way, it's a helluva rebound hitting 3 off the tee!

[quote name="RFKFREAK" url="/t/84373/2015-newport-cup-matches-thread/30#post_1198163"] Ok, 8th hole I'm really confused.  Through 5 you were here: [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/131712/] [/URL] You then went to the 8th all square and Matt hits his tee shot OB.  The "he" in the statement, " he hits three perfect shots after that for a par to halve the hole," I presume is Matt and you halve the hole.  "Another par on 9 wins the front."  The par the 9th I presume was for the East Team.  Did the West team bogey 9?  Because according to this, the East Team won the front 9 by 1 hole: [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/131713/] [/URL] [/quote]Matt eagled with his second ball, yes. We parred as well. They parred nine to our uneventful bogey for the first point. Lots of back and forth on the back which ultimately led to a halve.

Matt eagled with his second ball, yes. We parred as well. They parred nine to our uneventful bogey for the first point. Lots of back and forth on the back which ultimately led to a halve.

What did Jamo do on 8?

Maybe I'm not understanding the structure very well but if Jamo parred 8, then wouldn't it have been irrelevant what Matt did on 8 if he scored par or worse?

Christian

What did Jamo do on 8? Maybe I'm not understanding the structure very well but if Jamo parred 8, then wouldn't it have been irrelevant what Matt did on 8 if he scored par or worse?

If I didn't tell you, then it didn't matter. ;)

• Upvote 1

• Administrator
It wasn't 6&5. It was 5, 4, 9. LSW shoot went well. Saw @Lihu .

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I'm heading out with family for a while. No more updates from me! I can't believe they're back out there again. That was a quick lunch!

I'm sure you're tired of these scoreboards, but I'm enjoying it! Keep it up, East! I'll try to drop in later and see all that I missed.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkim291968

Come on, West.  You can do it.   Come on, Drew.   Bring me my driver .... please?

Seriously, it seems like Drew (@Golfingdad) wasn't clutch today.

Shhhh .... I need to keep his spirit up.   Mental fortitude in golf is everything in head to head matches.    Drew, you are da man.   You can do it.   You can do it.   You can do it.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Shhhh .... I need to keep his spirit up.   Mental fortitude in golf is everything in head to head matches.    Drew, you are da man.   You can do it.   You can do it.   You can do it.

So, no tough love?

Christian

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkim291968

So, no tough love?

If he loses again, will resort to tough $!@#$! @ ....

• Upvote 1

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Note: This thread is 3090 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!