IGNORED

Newby-hybrid help

Note: This thread is 3111 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So new to forum, and just returned to golf after a 16year gap (played as a kid, couldn't afford it as a student, and finally got the bug at 34). I really need and help in understanding how to build my bag up. So far I picked up 2014 Big Bertha Driver, 3w and 5w (all ex demonstrators), TM Rsi irons 5-pw at a good price from the U.S. Also got 50,54 and 58 Wedges and a nice mallet putter. I have really enjoyed playing again, but have a clear gap between my 5w and 5 iron, I set the loft on the 5w at 20degrees, and the RSI 5i is strong at 23degrees, but I often find my self needing something that I can hit 200-220 yrds the 5 iron does 180 while my 5w is going 220-230ish, would a hybrid help and what loft should I be looking at. Never had these around when I was younger so not really sure where to start.

So new to forum, and just returned to golf after a 16year gap (played as a kid, couldn't afford it as a student, and finally got the bug at 34). I really need and help in understanding how to build my bag up. So far I picked up 2014 Big Bertha Driver, 3w and 5w (all ex demonstrators), TM Rsi irons 5-pw at a good price from the U.S. Also got 50,54 and 58 Wedges and a nice mallet putter. I have really enjoyed playing again, but have a clear gap between my 5w and 5 iron, I set the loft on the 5w at 20degrees, and the RSI 5i is strong at 23degrees, but I often find my self needing something that I can hit 200-220 yrds the 5 iron does 180 while my 5w is going 220-230ish, would a hybrid help and what loft should I be looking at. Never had these around when I was younger so not really sure where to start.

Welcome to the sand trap and welcome back to golf. I would suggest looking at a hybrid 3 iron. If im not mistaken the loft on one of those should be 18 or 19 degrees.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Whether it's right or wrong, what has always made sense to me is to sure up the distance gaps from the shorter clubs, and work out to the longer clubs from there. So, It might make sense to start with trying out/demo a 4 iron (specially the RSi since that's what you already have). See what that does for your longer club gap and how it plays (I.e. Does it work for you). If the 4 iron works, then the next step might be looking into whether a hybrid or 5w works out best from there. If it doesn't work, then start testing out the 4h to see what that does for you.

Since you are a returning golfer, a 4H might be the way to go. The average 4H has 22* loft, and a longer shaft than the comparable numbered irons. Two examples of non-adjustable hybrids:

TM Aeroburner #4 Rescue...22º loft....40.25" shaft

Callaway XR....#4 Rescue...22º loft....39.75" shaft

Your RSi1 5i had 23º loft and a 38.25" shaft

So these hybrids would be 1.5 to 2" longer in shaft than your 5i, a big reason they would carry longer.

Again, you would have to find if the 4H would fill the distance gap. As for getting a 4i, that might be a rough club for a recently returned golfer to hit. A 4H would be much more versatile than a 4i.

I have the SLDR irons, and can hit that 4i very well off a tee as a driving iron. But, a 4H is almost as accurate off the tee for me, and whole lot more reliable off the fairway or out of the rough. Also, some people chip with a 4H if the get a "moon crater" greenside lie and just want to get the ball rolling.

(Note: some hybrid models are adjustable)

• Upvote 1

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

As for getting a 4i, that might be a rough club for a recently returned golfer to hit.

"Might be" is key. No need to rule it out, until he tries it. When I was a higher handicapper, I hit a 4i better than a 4h, and still do. May not be the case for him, but it also may be... I think it would be more difficult to find a 4h that has a good gap distance from the the 5i, than it would be to find a 4i... The reason it's a better starting point for consideration. [quote name="WUTiger" url="/t/84499/newby-hybrid-help#post_1200830"] A 4H would be much more versatile than a 4i. [/quote] I disagree, I think a 4i gives one more versatility/shots than a 4h. However, that's if one is able to control that So I'm not discounting that a 4h might end the best fit... Just that the 4i is a better starting point for consideration

Your 5 iron is already 23 degrees which is a very low loft for an iron in terms of ease of hitting. Do not get a lower lofted iron. I agree with WUTiger that your club is a 22 degree TaylorMade or Callaway hybrid. Or some other brand but those will go with your set. Sorry tefunk, but unless you have a mental block with hybrids or are a plus handicap with a very high swing speed, nobody hits a 20 degree iron better than a hybrid. If you think you do you are wrong.

Since you are a returning golfer, a 4H might be the way to go. The average 4H has 22* loft, and a longer shaft than the comparable numbered irons. Two examples of non-adjustable hybrids:

TM Aeroburner #4 Rescue...22º loft....40.25" shaft

Callaway XR....#4 Rescue...22º loft....39.75" shaft

Your RSi1 5i had 23º loft and a 38.25" shaft

So these hybrids would be 1.5 to 2" longer in shaft than your 5i, a big reason they would carry longer.

Again, you would have to find if the 4H would fill the distance gap. As for getting a 4i, that might be a rough club for a recently returned golfer to hit. A 4H would be much more versatile than a 4i.

I have the SLDR irons, and can hit that 4i very well off a tee as a driving iron. But, a 4H is almost as accurate off the tee for me, and whole lot more reliable off the fairway or out of the rough. Also, some people chip with a 4H if the get a "moon crater" greenside lie and just want to get the ball rolling.

(Note: some hybrid models are adjustable)

I agree, a hybrid is more versatile and easier to hit.

My 4 iron is 23, 3 iron is 20, took out the 3 iron and filled the gap between 3 wood and 4 iron with an adjustable hybrid.

Brian   

I agree, a hybrid is more versatile and easier to hit. My 4 iron is 23, 3 iron is 20, took out the 3 iron and filled the gap between 3 wood and 4 iron with an adjustable hybrid.

Easier to hit and more reliable... I fully agree. Versatile, disagree. It's a lot easier to work a 4i than a 4h, because a hybrid is generally going to be more forgiving. Keep in mind as well, we're talking about Rsi irons, which in the longer irons are going to be forgiving (and have more of a hybrid characteristic). We're not talking about a Titleist CB or something

IMO long end of the bag gaps are more a swing flaw issue than club type. If you are playing tees suitable to your skill you shouldn't even have that choice on any hole that's not one or both of the two longest par 4's, the longest par 3 and for second shots on par 5's.

Dave :-)

Easier to hit and more reliable... I fully agree.

Versatile, disagree. It's a lot easier to work a 4i than a 4h, because a hybrid is generally going to be more forgiving. ...

How much working are you talking about? A player who understands the basics of the golf swing can hit a draw or fade with most any club (maybe except a long one with draw bias).

When it comes to more exotic shots than simple fade or draw, or a basic punch, get real.

@tefunk , you have a 7.5 HDCP. @GibraltarRed and I have 20 + +, and will do better with reliable.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

How much working are you talking about? A player who understands the basics of the golf swing can hit a draw or fade with most any club (maybe except a long one with draw bias). When it comes to more exotic shots than simple fade or draw, or a basic punch, get real. [COLOR=DAA520] @tefunk , [/COLOR]you have a 7.5 HDCP. @GibraltarRed and I have 20 + +, and will do better with reliable.

Now that we've sorted that out... Versatile and reliable are two different things... Back to my original point. It doesn't make sense to count out or ignore a possible option, without trying it first. Once the options are exhausted, one will know what the best option is, without any question. And now I'll bow out, because if someone can't comprehend that by this point in the thread, they probably won't.

Try both a 4 iron and 4ihybrid and see which one works best for what you are trying to accomplish. That's what I did and I ended up playing the hybrid. I practice with them both though. If one of them doesnt do it for you try the 3 iron and 3 hybrid.
  1. LPGA Square Two Melody driver 
  2. Callaway Steelhead Plus 5 W
  3. Adamsgolf Idea 4i hybrid 
  4. Answer 6 iron 
  5. Answer 8 iron 
  6. LH Golfsmith Tour Model IV PW
  7. AdamsGolf GTxtreme LW
  8. LH Ping Zing Magnesium Bronze

I dumped my 5 wood for a 18* hybrid. For me it all about hitting out of the high grass on bad tee shots. I find that swinging hybrids just slices through the grass. Whereas I felt the face on my 5 wood moving before impact. Just my opinion though. I carry my 3 wood around 240 and my 5 wood solid contact was 225. My hybrid is always 220 and where i want it to go. Ill always sacrifice distance for accuracy

Sounds like a 3 or 4h would fill that gap. Some of these newer hybrids have some pretty hot faces and you may hit the 3h as far as you hit your 5 wood. Try a few clubs out on a Trackman and see what works best.

Note: This thread is 3111 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!