IGNORED

What'd You Shoot Today?

iacas

shot 90 on Saturday...shot 90 on Sunday.  A pretty "blah" performance overall after shooting 85 twice in the last couple of weeks.  Actually tore up the back 9 on Sunday except for a triple on 16 or I could have shot a 40 or 41.  Was playing it safe on a 310yd par4 with a stiff wind at my back.

Laid up with a 4I to about 125 yards with a perfect angle to the green, front side pin.  Three or four nice smooth practice strokes with a 9 iron and then...i pulled up and bladed it right in to the bunker on the left.  Blasted over the green, boinked a chip shot and 3 putted.  I played the last two, the longest par 4s on the course that usually eat my lunch, in 1 over to salvage my 43.

The 47 on the front was brutal.  I probably played too early, it was maybe 38 degrees and windy as well, I could barely feel my fingers, and I don't wear gloves.  Everything was too short or too long, misread putts, lipped out 2...nothing going right even on the shots I thought I struck well.

Looking forward to the warmer weather.  I say that, and when May gets here and I can barely finish 18 walking because of the 90+ temps and humidity, I'll be cursing the weather again.

Nike SQ MachSpeed Driver 

Calloway RAZR Fit 3W  

Taylor Made R7 Irons 

White Ice #1 35" 

Mizuno F50 5-7W 

Bushnell Medalist Range Finder 

Shot an 87 at my home course today - not only my all-time best score, but also the first time I've ever broken 90.  Needless to say, I was stoked!  6 pars, 9 bogies, one double, two triples.

Although I've been playing golf for over 25 years, this year marks the first time I've maintained an official handicap and/or made any kind of concerted effort toward improving my game.  I've always been an occasional golfer, maybe playing 12 rounds a year (if that), and have always struggled to break 100.  So far this year I've played 18 rounds and also logged nearly that many sessions on the practice range/green, and the results are showing.  At the beginning of the year I was still shooting low 100's with an occasional dip into the high 90's - lately I've been whittling it down (thanks mainly to more consistency and less penalty strokes), and finally had the first breakthrough into the 80's today.  I know it might not seem like much of an accomplishment to a lot of you low 'cappers, but for a 50-year old lifelong hacker who's finally seeing his game come around, today was a milestone.

Mac

WITB:
Driver: Ping G30 (12*)
FW:  Ping K15 (3W, 5W)
Hybrids: Ping K15 (3H, 5H)
Irons: Ping K15 (6-UW)

Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX CB (54*, 58*)

Putter: Ping Scottsdale w/ SS Slim 3.0

Ball: Bridgestone e6

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

74-78 on Sunday. First eagle this year as well! Chip in on a par 5.

In my bag:

Taylormade R11S Driver
Taylormade RBZ 3-wood
Nike VRS Irons 4-9
SM4 Titleist Vokey Wedges 47, 54, 58
College freshman playing golf at Wabash College in Indiana!

Played on tuesday, every tom dick n harry was on the course, took 5.5 hrs to finish, normally takes 3 hrs 15 mins , shot 112 which had only two gir and 32 putts this round

In the :tmade: san clemente 14 way bag: :ping: G30 Stiff shaft driver 9deg upped to 10 :tmade: RocketBallz 4-sw Steel Stiff Shaft :callaway: 50 degree wedge :wilson_staff: 58 deg Wedge :cleve: Center shaft putter :titleist: Balls & :footjoy: BOA shoes

Belmont Country Club
White Tees 69.8 / 125

March 8, 2013

EAGLE BIRDIE PAR BOGEY 2BOGEY+

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 OUT 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 IN TOTAL
WHITE 362 109 442 399 498 367 330 198 458 3163 400 166 517 161 367 309 351 304 512 3087 6250
HANDICAP 9 17 1 3 11 5 15 7 13 2 12 6 16 10 14 4 18 8
PAR 4 3 4 4 5 4 4 3 5 36 4 3 5 3 4 4 4 4 5 36 72
SCORE 5 4 5 6 5 5 5 3 5 43 43
ROUND SCORE +1 +2 +3 +5 +5 +6 +7 +7 +7 +7 +7
NET SCORE 5 4 5 6 5 5 5 3 5 43 43
TEE CLUB 1W Aw 1W 1W 3W 3W 3W 4Hy 3W
FAIRWAYS v ⇐ ⇐ x x ⇒ x 43% 43%
GIR x x x 33% 33%
PUTTS 2 2 2 1 2 2 1 2 2 16 1.8/16
SAND SHOTS 1 2 3

I played the front 9 at my home course.  Weather was 53* F and wind was between 10-15 mph.  Had one of my best day's of golf ever.  The stats look worse than what really happened.  Most of the holes that I didn't hit a GIR, I was between 5-10 yards off.  My best tee shot of the day was on hole 4, ironically was my worst score.  I hit my 3W about 235, and it barely made it into the fairway bunker.  My only bad mistake on the hole was not thinking about the lip of the bunker getting in my way.  Never crossed my mind until the 6I, that I hit perfectly, clipped the lip and only made it halfway to the green.  Hopefully I can keep this up.  I wish I was able to finish the round, had to stop because of darkness.  I don't know why, but I play my best rounds when I am playing alone.

I'm glad a few more people are adding the slope/CR to their scores.  Saying U shot XX means absolutely nothing without course stats.  The CR from the tees played could be anything from 64-78 for all we know....a 14 shot difference in difficulty.

IE....scoring a 79 on a course with a CR of 68 is much worse than....lets say, compared to posting an 82 on a course with a 75CR............the 82 is 4 shots better!!!!!

Any score without a qualifier means nothing..........................

• Upvote 1

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

I'm glad a few more people are adding the slope/CR to their scores.  Saying U shot XX means absolutely nothing without course stats.  The CR from the tees played could be anything from 64-78 for all we know....a 14 shot difference in difficulty.  IE....scoring a 79 on a course with a CR of 68 is much worse than....lets say, compared to posting an 82 on a course with a 75CR............the 82 is 4 shots better!!!!! Any score without a qualifier means nothing..........................

how do u figure out / come to know the slope / cr of the course you play if it is not mentioned

In the :tmade: san clemente 14 way bag: :ping: G30 Stiff shaft driver 9deg upped to 10 :tmade: RocketBallz 4-sw Steel Stiff Shaft :callaway: 50 degree wedge :wilson_staff: 58 deg Wedge :cleve: Center shaft putter :titleist: Balls & :footjoy: BOA shoes

Originally Posted by achadha7

how do u figure out / come to know the slope / cr of the course you play if it is not mentioned

For all of the courses that I play at, it is usually written on the scorecard.  I can also look it up on the internet.  The app I have on my phone for the NCGA, will tell me the Slope and Course Rating of every course in America, and a lot of it's territories.  I'm not sure if other countries use the exact same system of evaluating courses.

6610 yds, 71.6 / 124 77. Mixed feelings. Hit 12 greens which is very good for me, but didn't make a single birdie. Good ball striking day though. Just couldn't get a putt to drop. Highlight was hitting a hybrid out of a waste bunker from 185 yds to 8 feet on 17. Lowlight was missing the flippin' putt!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

51 (3 FIR and 1 GIR, 18 putts) and 59 (0 FIR, 0 GIR, 23 putts) = 110!

The positive:

1. Had my first EVER chip in today! Saved a par on the second par 5 hole with a 20 foot chip with my 60 degree wedge. The guys on the next green must have thought I was in for an eagle with the celebrations :)

2. 18 putts going out with only two 3 putts! I put in a little work during the week on putting (for the first time ever) and it really did help!

3. Putting over the first 9 holes was a huge improvement over the last round. Four of my two putts were only a half a roll from being one putts:)

4. Over the first 9 holes I hit three FIRs (two Par 3's), missing four. Also had one GIR, which lead to a par.

5. I was keeping up with the low handicappers I was playing with (I wasnt embarrassing myself too much:)

The negative:

1. I thought I was on for my first ever proper sub 100 round BUT a nine on the 10th hole put paid to that! Six holes were triple bogey or worse!

2. Was hoping to go around in less than 40 putts but ended up blowing out five triple putts on the back 9 holes.

3. Almost lost my 60 degree wedge (no idea how it fell out of my bag!!!) but fortunately the guys behind us picked it up and I got it off them after a short 500 yard jog back to the previous tee (who said you couldnt work up a sweat in golf!).

4. Made the school boy error (actually, school boys probably wouldnt make this error) of first having the tee shot from hell on a short par 3 which ended up on the ladies tee which was then compounded by me going with a 6 iron to get on the green and then watch as the ball ends up in very deep drain! When I put the club away I noticed it was actually a 9 iron!! :)-

5. Five lost balls didnt help.

Sounds bad but really, where I was this time last year compared to today is light years apart.

God I love this game :)

Regards

Mailman

Mailman

Moody Municipal here in Galveston...

After 3 1/2 weeks on IR (groin sprain), shot a 106.

Had a very horrible front nine carding a 60 (rust?) and the back nine I started coming around with a 46.

Shot of the day....  5 Iron from 170 to approximately 8 ft from the pin on the 14th... It was a beautiful shot and I was posing at it. Birdied the hole.

"Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.."

Originally Posted by achadha7

Found it 68/113

Now is that considered tough ? Average or easy ?

113 is the average or standard. The chances of it being rated exactly 113 are slim, so it may not be a proper USGA rating.

But if it is a proper rating, all that means is that the course is no more or less difficult for a bogey golfer in comparison to a scratch golfer than the course rating suggests.

We'd need to know the par for your course to know how difficult it is. If it's par 72, then a course rating of 68 suggests it's a pretty easy track. But if it's say par 66 then 68 would mean it's quite difficult.

Par 72, course rating 72, 6,600 yards (score card is in meters).

The greens had been cored and sanded, so my 28 putts is more a sign of missing a lot of greens close and chipping well.

A bad start, I hit my 4 iron tee shot so fat that not only did my divot start behind the ball, it ended behind the ball too and my club only just made it out of the ground to knock the ball 50 meters down the fairway. I pulled my layup into the trees, punched out, pitched on and two putts for double.

I missed the green from the fairway with a wedge in hand 5 or 6 times. That really shouldn't happen, but I'm just not striking them clean at the moment making distance control very difficult.

That's 4 of my last 10 in the 70s. But there's a 96 and a 98 in there too.

The club was shut down for an outside event so I ventured out to Lansbrook Golf Club and shot a 96.

28 putts, 8/14 fairways and 1 GIR

11 bogies, 2 pars, 2 doubles and 3 triples.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Scored a 93 at the Army Navy Country Club. Had two blowup holes. If I can just eliminate those, I'll comfortably break 90 for the first time!

All men are frauds.  The only difference between them is some men admit it.  I myself deny it. - HLM

My best score up until today was a 98 from the first time I broke 100 last weekend. I shot a 90 today and could've played so much better.

My driver "didn't work" and I duffed a few chips. My 2 footer for par on the final hole for an 89 lipped out.

Overall a good day's work considering the snow and the wind!