IGNORED

Not being asked to play through

dazza78
Note: This thread is 3097 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I don't understand the part you underlined.  I was playing today with a foursome and seeing that the twosome behind us was waiting for us when we were on the second green, when they approached the green, I asked them if they wanted to play through, they did and they thanked me.

However, while they tee'd off and were walking the fairway of the second, we tee'd off on the par 4 third hole.  Were we wrong to tee off while they were playing the previous hole as you said above?  That makes no sense to me, please explain.

Hi No Mulligans, I didn't underline that part, you must have.  :)

My point was in regards to a comment about a single player having an expectation to play through, how that occurs is not as important as that it does (should) occur. I don't care if the people tee off and then let the person or persons also tee off and play their balls, wait back and when they are out of the way continue playing (have done that before myself).  I was stating that it doesn't take much to let one golfer play through when you are a group that continually is holding them up.  

• Upvote 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

That is close but we did not put ourselves in danger.

As they approached the green I asked them if they would like to play through.  The last two to tee off from our group tee'd off while they were on the green putting.  We then stood off to the side of the tee box and waiting for them to tee off and start down the fairway.  We followed them from a respectable distance.

Done this way as opposed to not teeing off, they play through at the same speed, we finish the hole quicker (and our round a little quicker) and thereby lessen the chance of slowing someone else down that might catch up to us later (as it turns out, no one else caught up with us).

I like this.  When I play through or let someone play through, I usually proposed we all tee off together, and then let the faster group/person play on ahead, if they are quite faster, they are gone after just a couple shots and the slower group doesn't have to just sit and wait, they can be driving up as the faster player hits their 2nd and 3rd shots.

usually works really well when letting a fast single pass a 4-some.  tee off as a 5-some and the single then just goes fast and builds the lead.

Bill - 

I like this.  When I play through or let someone play through, I usually proposed we all tee off together, and then let the faster group/person play on ahead, if they are quite faster, they are gone after just a couple shots and the slower group doesn't have to just sit and wait, they can be driving up as the faster player hits their 2nd and 3rd shots.

usually works really well when letting a fast single pass a 4-some.  tee off as a 5-some and the single then just goes fast and builds the lead.

Yep. That's how the grown ups do it. 

Yep. That's how the grown ups do it. 

all the brain surgeons and rocket scientists do it this way, too

• Upvote 1

Bill - 

Actually, the entire premise of this thread is about expecting to be asked to play through. That in and of itself is a little odd? It's kind of expecting people to say "Wow, you play so much faster and better than us. You're so good, do you want to play through?"

Most people aren't thinking about letting people play through, because they are trying to move as quickly as they can. The person doing the asking should really be the golfer who doesn't want to wait.

• Upvote 1

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Actually, the entire premise of this thread is about expecting to be asked to play through. That in and of itself is a little odd? It's kind of expecting people to say "Wow, you play so much faster and better than us. You're so good, do you want to play through?"

Most people aren't thinking about letting people play through, because they are trying to move as quickly as they can. The person doing the asking should really be the golfer who doesn't want to wait.

I feel good about offering someone faster to play through.  

On the other hand, I feel a bit uncomfortable about asking to play through as it can be taken by the slower group to be an insult and/or confrontational.

I feel good about offering someone faster to play through.  

On the other hand, I feel a bit uncomfortable about asking to play through as it can be taken by the slower group to be an insult and/or confrontational.

That probably depends upon the tone of the request. Usually, if it's a simple question and/or request, no problem? It's probably a good idea to look ahead first to see if it does look like there's room in front prior to asking.

This is how I picture confrontational: "Move over buddy, you guys are moving waaaaay too slow. The course is totally backed up behind you and there's no one in front! What gives, dude? BTW, can I play through?" :-D

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

That probably depends upon the tone of the request. Usually, if it's a simple question and/or request, no problem? It's probably a good idea to look ahead first to see if it does look like there's room in front prior to asking.

This is how I picture confrontational: "Move over buddy, you guys are moving waaaaay too slow. The course is totally backed up behind you and there's no one in front! What gives, dude? BTW, can I play through?" :-D

We pretty much had those dudes a while back.  We had already teed off and a twosome behind us (also a twosome) came driving up on the 14th tee after we hit our shots and drove out and asked us if they could play through, never mind that the group in front of us just cleared the green on a par four 350ish yard hole.  We were like "uhhh, yeah, I guess", thought it was funny because we had seen them rushing, weren't even taking pins out to putt, and not completing putting into the hole.  We felt like what was the point of golfing if going to golf like that.  Of course one of the guys flubs it off the tee after asking to play through.  If you are going to drive up to my party after we teed off, ask to play through even though its busy and there are people in front of us, the least you can do is not biff it off the tee.  I laughed, funny stuff.

We pretty much had those dudes a while back.  We had already teed off and a twosome behind us (also a twosome) came driving up on the 14th tee after we hit our shots and drove out and asked us if they could play through, never mind that the group in front of us just cleared the green on a par four 350ish yard hole.  We were like "uhhh, yeah, I guess", thought it was funny because we had seen them rushing, weren't even taking pins out to putt, and not completing putting into the hole.  We felt like what was the point of golfing if going to golf like that.  Of course one of the guys flubs it off the tee after asking to play through.  If you are going to drive up to my party after we teed off, ask to play through even though its busy and there are people in front of us, the least you can do is not biff it off the tee.  I laughed, funny stuff.

Sure they were rude, but this might be part of the reason they had attitudes? Once the party in front hit their approaches, that's usually time for your group to tee off. One person should be ready to hit as soon as the last person clears the safe zone of roughly 250-280 yards.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Sure they were rude, but this might be part of the reason they had attitudes? Once the party in front hit their approaches, that's usually time for your group to tee off. One person should be ready to hit as soon as the last person clears the safe zone of roughly 250-280 yards.

We waited on the tee for the group in front of us to get out of the way and then we teed off.  We were driving up to our balls when the twosome behind us literally came barelling up from around the corner and asked to play through, they did not wait one second on us. My apologies, by just cleared the green I meant that they were walking off the green and we were about to take our second shots.  We were about 150 yards out with irons in our hands.

Edited by Gator Hazard

We waited on the tee for the group in front of us to get out of the way and then we teed off.  We were driving up to our balls when the twosome behind us literally came barelling up from around the corner and asked to play through, they did not wait one second on us.

The only thing that I was noting was that you were not already on the fairway waiting to make your approaches as the party in front of you was clearing the green.

Here is what I am trying to say is what I usually expect for each hole:

1) The party in front tees off (if not on the first hole you are usually on the green)

2) You tee off as soon as the party in front has hit their approaches and are still walking towards the green

3) You get to your balls and wait for the green to clear before hitting your approaches

4) The party behind you hits as soon as you clear your approach shot area towards the green, etc.

I didn't get the feeling that this is how you were playing based upon the post I quoted earlier. . .

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

The only thing that I was noting was that you were not already on the fairway waiting to make your approaches as the party in front of you was clearing the green.

Here is what I am trying to say is what I usually expect for each hole:

1) The party in front tees off (if not on the first hole you are usually on the green)

2) You tee off as soon as the party in front has hit their approaches and are still walking towards the green

3) You get to your balls and wait for the green to clear before hitting your approaches

4) The party behind you hits as soon as you clear your approach shot area towards the green

We couldn't hit our second shots until they were off the green, we were in our cart (actually getting out of it) as they were finishing putting, I remember standing there and resting my club on a tree and going back to the cart for my beer to watch these two masters of the game tee off.  That didn't allow us to take our shots, the people behind us could not even have seen the circumstances, they came around a bend and its an S curve from where you come in back away to where you tee off and up to where we were, they drove accross the street from the 13th green all the way around all of that stuff (green is blind, they cannot even see where the other golfers on the green are) and up to us to ask us if they can play through, then, literally have to turn around and drive back to the tee to hit their drives.  And there was no room in front of anyone on this day.  We were outside of our cart with irons waiting for the last guy to put the flag stick back in when this happened.

I feel like I must have written all of this poorly.  The point is that in no way were we delaying anyone, pace of play was slow and they were a couple of guys trying to get 18 holes in under 3 hours on a 5 hour pace of play day (not our fault pace of play was sucking).

Edited by Gator Hazard

We couldn't hit our second shots until they were off the green, we were in our cart (actually getting out of it) as they were finishing putting.  That didn't allow us to take our shots, the people behind us could not even have seen the circumstances, they came around a bend and its an S curve from where you come in back away to where you tee off and up to where we were, they drove accross the street from the 13th green all the way around all of that stuff (green is blind, they cannot even see where the other golfers on the green are) and up to us to ask us if they can play through, then, literally have to turn around and drive back to the tee to hit their drives.  And there was no room in front of anyone on this day.  We were outside of our cart with irons waiting for the last guy to put the flag stick back in when this happened.

I feel like I must have written all of this poorly.  The point is that in no way were we delaying anyone, pace of play was slow and they were a couple of guys trying to get 18 holes in under 3 hours on a 5 hour pace of play day (not our fault pace of play was sucking).

Sorry, I did not get that you had already hit your tee shots and were waiting by your approach shots. For some reason, I thought you had just finished teeing off as the the party in front were clearing the green. . .

Yeah, they already messed up their round if they didn't take the pins to putt out, etc. Sounds like they just wanted to hit some balls on a full course as quickly as possible.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Sorry, I did not get that you had already hit your tee shots and were waiting by your approach shots. For some reason, I thought you had just finished teeing off as they were clearing the green. . .

Not your fault, I wrote it very poorly, it is I who should apologize.  We were basically between our carts and the golf balls, we had driven up and knew they were finishing their putting, had gotten out, got our irons and walked to our balls when they came up.  I was near a tree on the right hand side right before a bunker that is around 150 yards out.  They did the same to the group in front of us because after the next hole it was the same group in front of us again.

Not your fault, I wrote it very poorly, it is I who should apologize.  We were basically between our carts and the golf balls, we had driven up and knew they were finishing their putting, had gotten out, got our irons and walked to our balls when they came up.  I was near a tree on the right hand side right before a bunker that is around 150 yards out.  They did the same to the group in front of us because after the next hole it was the same group in front of us again.

Nah, it was written fine. I just didn't get it until now. :doh:

In any case, those two probably didn't finish the 18 holes anyway. . .

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Nah, it was written fine. I just didn't get it until now. :doh:

In any case, those two probably didn't finish the 18 holes anyway. . .

No, it really was a terrible explanation by me, I would have asked the same questions.  LOL.  I remember my partner making the comment as we were waiting to tee off on 13 that he had been watching them and they were running up to their balls and hitting immediately, and that on 12 there was no way they holed out their shots because after he hit they were getting in the cart to drive to 13.  Before he hit they were parking their cart by the green.  He thinks they each were taking one putt at the hole, pin in, and then just picking up no matter what and rushing to next tee.

I was amused at them not being very average golfers to do what they were doing but to each their own, we all get different types of enjoyment out of the game.  

I like to play as a single in orderto get paired up with strangers, just to make new friends.  IT is surprising how many people get mad if someone behind them plays faster than they do.  It is shocking how many people take it as an insult if you play right behind them.  and they wont invite them to play through unless the alpha players in their foursome suggests it.

It is kinda funny, to watch men's reactions when a foursome of women are playing faster behind them.

I like to play as a single in orderto get paired up with strangers, just to make new friends.  IT is surprising how many people get mad if someone behind them plays faster than they do.  It is shocking how many people take it as an insult if you play right behind them.  and they wont invite them to play through unless the alpha players in their foursome suggests it.

It is kinda funny, to watch men's reactions when a foursome of women are playing faster behind them.

Yeah. I do think I'd probably crap myself if a foursome of women started pushing us. Not trying to be sexist, just honest.

Note: This thread is 3097 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!