IGNORED

Not being asked to play through

dazza78
Note: This thread is 3066 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So today I was playing alone, but I kept catching the two in front up.  There was nobody ahead of them for at least four holes.

i kept waiting on the tee and on the fairway. Trying to keep my momentum going by taking practice swings, it was hard going!

not once despite standing by them at the tee a few times, did they offer me to play thru.  It got me quite agitated inside, disturbing my swing a few times.

i know I was alone but another player caught me up so I asked him to join me, to try and give them a hint. They still didn't budge.

what are your thoughts, what would you have done on both sides? Would you have said play thru if you were them, would you have asked if you were me, and later us?

this went in for nearly 17 holes!

Edited by iacas
removed unnecessary returns, added a tag

I've never been shy about asking to play through.   Maybe they weren't aware of etiquette.  

They seemed like they knew, just being stubborn, one even turned their back on me at one of the tees!  I wasn't sure if its a thing to do, ask to play through.

If there was no one in front of them and you were on the tee at the same time, I'd have just asked to play through. Worst they will say is no, and if that's the case and there is no one behind you just stay at the green a bit longer hitting different chips/putts or play two balls like a worst ball scramble with yourself which will add a bit more time to play the hole and stop the waiting. 

WITB

Callaway Big Berth Alpha Driver 9* Stiff shaft

Adams 18 DHY

Titliest AP2 3-PW Project X 5.5

Nike VR 56*

Never Compromise Sub30 Type 40

My Swing

If there was no one in front of them and you were on the tee at the same time, I'd have just asked to play through. Worst they will say is no, and if that's the case and there is no one behind you just stay at the green a bit longer hitting different chips/putts or play two balls like a worst ball scramble with yourself which will add a bit more time to play the hole and stop the waiting. 

Cheers, yea i took a couple of practice putts.  The guy behind caught me up so he joined me, as I offered.  He said he'd been watching them himself.  I won't be so quiet next time, and ask!

I have skipped ahead before (when possible), and then come back to hit the missed hole.

• Upvote 3

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Not the easiest thing to do on my course, I think they were trying to force me to skip holes, but I wanted to play the full array.. I need the practice. :-)

Not the easiest thing to do on my course, I think they were trying to force me to skip holes, but I wanted to play the full array.. I need the practice. :-)

I recall doing this once where the course made a bit of a loop.  After (clearly) waiting on the pair, for 4 holes, with no suggestion to play through, I skipped ahead.  They were moving so slow, I played the (ahead) hole and caught back up in less than two.  They didn't look to pleased when I just simply drove around them on the home I had already played.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

I recall doing this once where the course made a bit of a loop.  After (clearly) waiting on the pair, for 4 holes, with no suggestion to play through, I skipped ahead.  They were moving so slow, I played the (ahead) hole and caught back up in less than two.  They didn't look to pleased when I just simply drove around them on the home I had already played.

Haha I can imagine their faces!

I would have let you play through without asking.  They should have.  I would have asked and if they declined I's tell them I was going to call the clubhouse to bring out a ranger.  They were aholes.  I don't worry what aholes think.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

I would have let you play through without asking.  They should have.  I would have asked and if they declined I's tell them I was going to call the clubhouse to bring out a ranger.  They were aholes.  I don't worry what aholes think.

Defo had an attitude thats for sure, I was agitated the most after one turned his back to me knowing I was there at the tee too.

You should have asked them to let you play through. Most folks will let you if asked nicely. 

Myself I never want to play through...lol I have actually refused a few times when offered to play through. Of course I never try to rush those in front of me either. Pretty easy for me to adjust to what ever pace of play is going on during a round. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I always ask unless they waive me up right away. Too many people don't know the etiquette to take the chance of putting the responsibility on them.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

I would have let you play though if I was in the group ahead. If I was you, I'd probably have asked to play through or just go around if I was on a hole that I could easily come back to later.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

At our course, it's well understood by everyone that singles have no standing whatsoever. We won't let singles go through...period. But when somebody else joins you, now it's a different ball game. If you're a 2-some, and they're a 2-some, and they're clearly holding you up, I wouldn't be shy at all about asking to go through, especially if they've got 2 or 3 holes open in front of them. If you ask them, and they blow you off, I'd be calling the pro shop for them to get a marshal out there. 

• Upvote 2

At our course, it's well understood by everyone that singles have no standing whatsoever. We won't let singles go through...period. But when somebody else joins you, now it's a different ball game. If you're a 2-some, and they're a 2-some, and they're clearly holding you up, I wouldn't be shy at all about asking to go through, especially if they've got 2 or 3 holes open in front of them. If you ask them, and they blow you off, I'd be calling the pro shop for them to get a marshal out there. 

I agree with the above.

While the USGA has changed the etiquette section to give standing to a single as a "group", when I go on a course as a single I consider myself as having no standing and have no expectation that anyone or group will allow me to play through.  Many times people do suggest I play through and that is nice.  I don't ask, however, unless/until I am a part of an actual group of 2-4, and then only when clearly the hold-up is the group in front.

As to the two questions, how you handled it was fine.  Joining with the other single was an excellent idea and if the two slow players continued to hold things up, you both should have expected some consideration and been allowed to play through the slower group.  Speak up next time.

Edited by bkuehn1952
add text
  • Upvote 1

Brian Kuehn

Note: This thread is 3066 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!