IGNORED

My Swing (Yossarian)

Yossarian

I've been Playing Golf for: 9 years

My current handicap index or average score is: 95-100, more or less
My typical ball flight is: fade
The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: random hybrid shots

Hi everyone,

I have been playing for years, but only practicing seriously on the last 3-4. I never took a lesson (that was a big mistake), so over the years I tried to fine tune a flawed swing to obtain some consistency. I reached the point where I can enjoy a round without horrific shots, and probably the worst part of my game are 3-4 putts,  but I still would like your opinion on the long game. So:

Irons

in the video there are a couple of 7 iron swings. I tend to have decent contact most of the times, ball first; 150-155 yards. The ball flight is usually a fade  (starts right - for a lefty- and then goes left), but it's quite inconsistent, I mix it with slices and pulls.  I am sure if you see the video that there are many parts of the swing I could improve

Hybrid

in the video there are a couple of H3 face on swings, and a couple from the back. 180 yards. Again, I can't be very consistent, first shot goes slightly left, second in the video slightly right. The main problem is the last one, a fat shot, which is the miss I would like to eliminate.

Driver

Not very long (220-225), but at least it ends up in the fairway most of the times. Still, any help or advise on the swing is welcome

Thanks in advance!

Videos: 

Edited by Yossarian

Welcome to the site. I'd focus on a couple things, turning the feet out at address and turning your hips in place. The feet bit will help the turn.

56594e5c9eebf_Yossari1.thumb.jpg.ba982ce

Notice how your hips sway back on the backswng and you tilt your spine towards the target. 

56594e5baaf58_Yossari2.thumb.jpg.7fbbbe8

And this leads to them not being able to get forward enough on the downswing. Causes path and contact issues.56594e5ae7753_Yossari3.thumb.jpg.e867b71

Couple good threads for you to take a look at.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

thanks a lot for looking at it!

I tried many times to stay in place and move the weight to my right during the downswing, but every time I end up hitting the grass way before the ball, there is probably something else that I do wrong when I try it.

I will test the feet position (I never thought about that) and the knee linkage, and perhaps post another video.

thanks!

4 hours ago, Yossarian said:

I will test the feet position (I never thought about that) and the knee linkage, and perhaps post another video.

Great. Would love for you to hang around, we have a lot of other great threads and topics to participate in.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

This is the demon flip which all higher handicappers have and will make golf life hell until addressed.The MVMAC impact shot doesn't have the flip.

As an experiment,if you grip the club in the top hand alone and take the club back to the 9 o'clock position,without manipulating the club weight,the club head likely wants to fall shut,if you then slowly bring the club back down to the impact zone,my guess is that your wrist is in a cupped position,if this is the case,then that is a problem,

kswing.JPG

Edited by collapse

Note: I do not answer direct questions or points raised against my untested and unproven theories, have no history of teaching anyone, and post essentially the same nonsense in everyone's Member Swing threads.

• 6 months later...

Hello,

I'm back!

Ok, in the last few months I tried to fix a few things.

I  keep the club on a more horizontal plane, let the left feet open as suggested, and I try to rotate instead of swaying from left to right.

During backswing my only thought is to keep the left leg in the same position, in the downswing I try to generate speed from the rotation of the body, not from the vertical pendulum I used to do.

In the first video initially there is a practice swing, I left it there because I have always the impression that during practice swings I make a correct weight shift, instead when there is a ball I feel I am missing something.

In the second video I use the same club, 7 iron.

With the swing of my original post I had many fat an thin shots, I think because it was too vertical (+the wrist movement at impact), so the timing had to be perfect.

The current one feels better, but now I am slicing, which is a problem I never had before. I see in slow motion that at impact the face is open, but I don't know why.

Let me know if I am going in the right direction!

You haven't changed the swing much at all. Now you drop your right knee down as you sway back, but you're still swaying. I'd go back through that stuff @mvmac recommended the last time.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

mmm, I think I see what you are saying,  the spine is still tilted toward the target at the end of the backswing, and that's why I hang back at the end of the downswing, right?

man that's depressing, I thought I made some progress, the contact with the ball feels better...

11 minutes ago, Yossarian said:

mmm, I think I see what you are saying,  the spine is still tilted toward the target at the end of the backswing, and that's why I hang back at the end of the downswing, right?

man that's depressing, I thought I made some progress, the contact with the ball feels better...

The reverse K and flared out feet look better. It takes time to make changes, so don't get too discouraged. Your swing does look better than the first post, but you haven't completely addressed the center pivot turn. Also, try flattening your lead wrist a little to help reduce the over swing.

• Upvote 1

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

• 11 months later...
(edited)

Hi everyone!

I am back. Not a lot of improvement, but I took a "live" lesson and also I sent videos to another instructor.

They both said that the first thing I should fix is coming over the top. In fact my standard trajectory is a pull slice as a result of it.

However, the first instructor suggested me that I should start the backswing moving the club to the outside, that would shallow the swing and make it easier to have a in-to-out downswing. The other instructor said I should keep it on the inside.

A thing they both agree is that I should put my ball back in the stance. When I do that, the reverse pivot (see last swing of the video) gets even worse and I hit fat shots.

In the images, you can see on the left my OTT swing, and on the right the "fix".

In the video, the first one is the OTT, the remaining are with me trying to have a in-to-out downswing

Any suggestion is welcome

start downswing.jpg

top.jpg

Edited by Yossarian

• 5 months later...

Hello everyone,

I am working on the use of the wrists. In the first video I have my normal use: I let them cock naturally during the backswing, I don't think about them.

In the second video, I try to keep them unhinged for most of the swing, then I let them loose at the top of the swing.

In the second case, I gain clubhead speed and forward bent at impact, but it feels less controllable/repeatable.

Which way should I go?  Thanks!

(any other suggestion on the swing is welcome)

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Yossarian said:

Which way should I go?  Thanks!

The difference is pretty small.

01.jpg

I'm not sure you could tell me which of those two swings is which unless you counted the number of balls or looked at some other sort of thing. And yes, it's not just about static images - the momentum and movement matter. But still, the swings are a lot more alike than you probably realize.

02.jpg

I wouldn't worry about either of those things. I'd fix this:

04.jpg

Which should also help with this (weight back at impact):

03.jpg

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On 11/21/2017 at 1:33 PM, iacas said:

Which should also help with this (weight back at impact):

Thanks!

I tried many times to do a "centered hip turn", but if I try to stay inside the red lines, what I get is the weird swing below. I think (but I am not sure) that in the effort of keeping my right hip in place, I put the weight on my right during the backswing, and so in the downswing I hang back even more than in my standard swing

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Yossarian said:

Thanks!

I tried many times to do a "centered hip turn", but if I try to stay inside the red lines, what I get is the weird swing below. I think (but I am not sure) that in the effort of keeping my right hip in place, I put the weight on my right during the backswing, and so in the downswing I hang back even more than in my standard swing

I think you should learn to do it properly.

I think learning to do that properly is going to be a lot more beneficial than those little wrist things.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 1 month later...

@iacas thanks. I am trying. I even made a video of myself from behind, and see how it compares to the video in the thread that @mvmac suggested. First swing is my usual one, in the second one I try to do a proper turn. They look identical to me... but in any case I still don't understand if I am turning too much, or maybe with the wrong tempo. It's also visible the odd footwork

In the front view the result, when I try to do a correct pivot, is this. It looks a little better than my usual swing (I think), but most of the time I end up hitting it fat (as in the video).

35 minutes ago, Yossarian said:

@iacas thanks. I am trying. I even made a video of myself from behind, and see how it compares to the video in the thread that @mvmac suggested. First swing is my usual one, in the second one I try to do a proper turn. They look identical to me... but in any case I still don't understand if I am turning too much, or maybe with the wrong tempo. It's also visible the odd footwork

In the front view the result, when I try to do a correct pivot, is this. It looks a little better than my usual swing (I think), but most of the time I end up hitting it fat (as in the video).

Hi there! Just an observation but grip seems super strong and mostly in palm. Leads to club path and face issues. 

See topic below:

Vishal S.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/10/2018 at 5:19 PM, GolfLug said:

Hi there! Just an observation but grip seems super strong and mostly in palm. Leads to club path and face issues. 

See topic below:

Thanks for your observation!  I certainty agree. However, when I am not experimenting with the pivot trying to remove the sway and improve the weight transfer to the right (which is my focus now, I really would like to hit it solidly consistently), my usual swing trajectory somehow finds its balance: the OTT slice compensates the closed face at impact. I know, it's a precarious balance... but whenever I try to use a more neutral grip, the outcome is a huge slice, it feels like I have never played golf

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, still working on a better rotation.

It probably does not look right yet, but I think it's an improvement.

The positive thing is, I have gained at least 7-8 yards, at least according to the Swing Caddie. I guess it's because additional speed comes from the rotation

The bad thing is that I gained a Hook as well. What I don't understand is why I am hooking despite still having an evident OTT downswing. (see below: start straight, goes horribly right)