IGNORED

The Force Awakens: Spoiler Thread

jbishop15
Note: This thread is 2680 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

This is a good sign for episode 8. $248m opening and $40m Monday. Looks like it has a chance to break Avatar's (bogey - did not like that movie at all) domestic record.

J.J. ABRAMS recently read the script for Episode VIII of Star Wars. And he had a reaction to it that his lifelong friend, “The Force Awakens” actor Greg Grunberg, had not ever heard from the director over their decades together in the industry.

“He read it and said something he never, ever says,” Grunberg, who plays pilot Snap Wexley in the new film, tells The Post’s Comic Riffs. “He said: ‘It’s so good, I wish I were making it.’

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/comic-riffs/wp/2015/12/22/why-j-j-abrams-now-regrets-deboarding-the-star-wars-chair-before-episode-viii/

Transcript of WGA panel w/Abrams, Kasdan and Arndt. Major spoilers within. Spoiled you will be, if you click.

http://www.wga.org/content/default.aspx?id=6130

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

x22wFin.png

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, nevets88 said:

x22wFin.png

Walle_s_Girlfriend_Eve.jpg

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

JAR JAR IS THE TRUE SITH MASTER DOOKU IS A SHAM

So I finally saw it today, and absolutely loved it. I feel like how the people who were so excited for The Phantom Menace expected to see. (I was 6 when it came out, saw it in theater with my dad, and had Darth Maul nightmares for a solid week.) I probably like the prequels more than most people (a lot of the shine and sheen of the prequels was there for a reason: they were supposed to represent The Republic at its peak, ditto the uber-choreographed Jedi scenes; I like the political scene; and I don't think Jar Jar is the worst thing on earth, especially if he was originally supposed to be a Sith!!!!!!!!), but I recognize the horrific dialogue (Lawrence Kasdan is a godsend), the wooden acting, and the already-dated special effects (that were just asking, begging to wind up looking outdated in a manner of years). And I like the originals, but I think I like having seen them more than I like actually watching them (and I don't particularly care if Han or Greedo shot first).

All that said, going in I was very excited. I watched all the trailers, avoided any spoiler that JJ Abrams didn't specifically want me to see like the plague. Somehow, I managed not to have a single thing spoiled.

And holy shit was I blown away. 

The cinematography was by far the best of the series. They pulled off camera movements in this movie that make the prequels, let alone the originals, look like students films. The mixture of practical effects and CG is utterly perfect, executed flawlessly. The acting was stellar, to the point where the weakest actors were the only ones left over from the original movies (save Peter Mayhew and Anthony Daniels). The dialogue was spectacular. The casting was awesome. I didn't even mind that the plot was a retread of A New Hope, because somehow they managed to make a character-driven Star Wars action movie. 

A few thoughts:

• Some of the characters that I thought we'd see more of, like Captain Phasma, C-3PO, and R2-D2 had relatively small roles. Phasma in particular I thought we'd see more of because she was introduced so early. Are we to assume they did kill her? She seemed like an interesting character I would have liked to see more of. Wikipedia says that she'll be in the next movie. Trash compactor averted, I guess. 
  • I'm not convinced Rey is Luke's daughter. I could be way off base, but I just feel like they'd want to expand the universe of force-users to include those not descendants of Anakin Skywalker. After all, there were Jedi before him that he's not a descendant of. 
  • When Han walked out to the platform with Ren, I assumed he was going to die, but Adam Driver  played that very well, to the point where he made it seem there was a legitimate chance he was going to surrender. 
  • I thought Driver and that character in particular were very good. The criticism of him, to me, doesn't make any sense. He's a descendant of both Anakin Skywalker and Han Solo. It makes complete sense that he would be a petulant child with a temper and daddy issues. 
  • I'm very surprised Domhnall Gleeson's character made it through the movie.
  • I have a friend who hated Snoke, but I thought it was very intriguing. I like that they made the Supreme Leader someone who isn't human (or, at least not a normal human). That's one thing I always thought was strange about the Emperor. 
  • The same friend also questioned Leia's role in the movie. Leia isn't going to go easily. I think she's every bit as important as Luke is to the ending of this trilogy. 
  • I thought the sound of this movie was incredible. The prequels had a tendency to feel detected, in part I think because it used a lot of far-away shots. This movie, particularly in the action scenes, loved shaky-cam close-ups, and the sounds were loud to match that. Even in the scene where Ren kills Han, the sound of that lightsaber turning on is what really sealed that scene for me. Anytime someone uses the force, the sound was incredible. 
  • The flight and fight scenes were incredible. A big gripe about the prequels (and even some of the original movies) is that the chase scenes tended to drag (podracing, anyone?). I though they kept them just brisk enough in this movie that they never really got that way. Ditto the lightsaber duel.
  • Do we know who that stormtrooper with the lightsaber-resistant blaster was? Are we going to find out how the blaster did that?
  • This movie had just the right amount of humor, which the prequels were utterly missing for the most part (aside from a few brief Obi-Wan quips). 
  • Upvote 1

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

2 hours ago, jamo said:
  • Some of the characters that I thought we'd see more of, like Captain Phasma, C-3PO, and R2-D2 had relatively small roles. Phasma in particular I thought we'd see more of because she was introduced so early. Are we to assume they did kill her? She seemed like an interesting character I would have liked to see more of. Wikipedia says that she'll be in the next movie. Trash compactor averted, I guess. 
  • I'm not convinced Rey is Luke's daughter. I could be way off base, but I just feel like they'd want to expand the universe of force-users to include those not descendants of Anakin Skywalker. After all, there were Jedi before him that he's not a descendant of. 

I thought they would expand on Captain Phasma. I wonder if that was the character development they had to cut out due to length constraints. 

I am 90% sure she is Luke's daughter. It just makes sense for me. Either she was the only young Jedi left after Kylo destroyed Luke's reformed Jedi Order or she is her kid. I think it fits. Just the symbolism of her being left on a desert planet like Luke was. Luke goes into hiding like Yoda did. She recognized him when she saw him on the island. He had that pissed off look of, What the hell are you doing here. 

2 hours ago, jamo said:
  • When Han walked out to the platform with Ren, I assumed he was going to die, but Adam Driver  played that very well, to the point where he made it seem there was a legitimate chance he was going to surrender. 
  • I thought Driver and that character in particular were very good. The criticism of him, to me, doesn't make any sense. He's a descendant of both Anakin Skywalker and Han Solo. It makes complete sense that he would be a petulant child with a temper and daddy issues. 

I agree on his character. He played it more like it was a big confliction for him. He wasn't overly whiny like Anikan was. He played it more as a person who really wants a father figure. You can see him searching for guidance and help even if it was from the Sith Lord. 

2 hours ago, jamo said:
  • I have a friend who hated Snoke, but I thought it was very intriguing. I like that they made the Supreme Leader someone who isn't human (or, at least not a normal human). That's one thing I always thought was strange about the Emperor. 

A friend of a friend made an interesting argument that Snoke is Darth Plagueis, Palpatine's Master. A few things on Plagueis. He can bring people back to life. In the books Palpatine had a ton of clones of himself. I can see Plagueis able to fool Palpatine and bide his time. It would explain why he looks so deformed. He had to survive The Emperor's attempted assassination. Also, the more powerful you get in the dark side the more pale and deformed you get because the dark side corrupts them. It isn't like he clones himself to be able to regain age. He basically resurrected himself and would maintain his current body. 

A big key on this was. First, that planet death star would have to been built from when they started building the other death stars. It took them over 20 years to create the first death star. It looks like The First Order was something that was part of the Empire but maybe not entirely known by the Emperor. I am thinking this thing was built behind the Emperor's back. To me the only person who could pull this off is someone who could mask the location with the dark side of the force. The Emperor has precognition. Remember, both Palpatine and Plagueis hid themselves from the massive Jedi Order for years and were able to get Palpatine into a position of power. I could see Plagueis, who is more powerful than Palpatine, being able to orchestrate this. 

Theoretically speaking :)

2 hours ago, jamo said:
  • I thought the sound of this movie was incredible. The prequels had a tendency to feel detected, in part I think because it used a lot of far-away shots. This movie, particularly in the action scenes, loved shaky-cam close-ups, and the sounds were loud to match that. Even in the scene where Ren kills Han, the sound of that lightsaber turning on is what really sealed that scene for me. Anytime someone uses the force, the sound was incredible. 
  • The flight and fight scenes were incredible. A big gripe about the prequels (and even some of the original movies) is that the chase scenes tended to drag (podracing, anyone?). I though they kept them just brisk enough in this movie that they never really got that way. Ditto the lightsaber duel.
  • Do we know who that stormtrooper with the lightsaber-resistant blaster was? Are we going to find out how the blaster did that?
  • This movie had just the right amount of humor, which the prequels were utterly missing for the most part (aside from a few brief Obi-Wan quips). 

I thought the acting was very good. The dialogue was very witty. The fight scenes were well done. The chase scene with the MF and the Tie's was one of the best of all the Star Wars movies. I though the lightsaber battle was done very well. My only gripe would be the extended time that Rey took to channel the Force to gain the edge of Kylo. 

The lightsaber resistant technology comes from Episode 3 and the droids on the ship in the first scene. They had those pole-arms with electricity or repulsor technology to repel a lightsaber. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

3 hours ago, jamo said:

• I'm very surprised Domhnall Gleeson's character made it through the movie.
  • The same friend also questioned Leia's role in the movie. Leia isn't going to go easily. I think she's every bit as important as Luke is to the ending of this trilogy. 

• Great point about Kylo having the traits of Anakin and Solo @jamo
  • I bet Snoke is 3 feet tall.
  • Yes the sound was excellent Loved the pop and crackle of the lightsabers, the melting of the snow.
  • Best Obi Wan quip in the prequels - "Always on the move."

If you're going to do rewatches, I recommend making one of them 3D and I'm not a big fan of 3D. The MF chase was enhanced, that blaster shot held in midair was cool, there's this one shot of a star destroyer that felt so close, you could reach out and touch it.

Harrison Ford's Han Solo was his best performance in a while. It felt like he was channeling Indiana Jones a little. Ford is a very spry 73! 

Even though there were a lot of bits and pieces that felt familiar from Abrams' other movies, they were still fresh. Like the vulture pecking at the metal - similar to the plant opening in Star Trek into Darkness. The MF almost falling off the edge of a cliff - Abrams does a lot of that to his characters.

I saw a robot do a thumbs up recently in Tomorrowland, but the BB-8 thumbs up was still hilarious.

I was hoping for more new material in the soundtrack. There is a new theme associated with Rey, but I was hoping for a new epic dramatic piece, but a minor quibble and a big ask from John Williams, he's already done quite enough as it is.

I haven't gone to a first showing in a long time. Forgot what it was like to sit in a theatre full of mega fans. When the MF was first introduced, it was like the home team hit a home run in the bottom of the ninth.

So the thinking was "Don't **** this up Abrams." He passed with flying colors. Thank you for putting together a movie with such care and love.

4 hours ago, iacas said:

Walle_s_Girlfriend_Eve.jpg

tumblr_npndajVend1qz6c0so3_1280.jpg

Steve

• Administrator
14 hours ago, jamo said:

When Han walked out to the platform with Ren, I assumed he was going to die, but Adam Driver  played that very well, to the point where he made it seem there was a legitimate chance he was going to surrender. 

Oh, c'mon. There was zero chance he was going to surrender. He simply hadn't developed anywhere near enough for that. He was 100% going to kill him, then and there, and there was no way around it. Everyone knew it. There weren't even sighs or gasps in most movie theaters from what I've heard (I didn't hear a peep in mine).

Yes, he was struggling to continue to be on the dark side… but not really.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Finally I get to read this thread.

Spoilers etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etcetc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc

I was actually surprised when Ren killed Han.  Was hoping for something more like Vader in ROTJ.  Oh well.

Also agree that my guess is Rey is Lukes daughter.  

Loved this movie!

Steve

Also some fill in the blank info from one of the official guides:

QLGdlDS.jpg

swtfa7.jpg

swtfa3.jpg

Steve

11 hours ago, iacas said:

Oh, c'mon. There was zero chance he was going to surrender. He simply hadn't developed anywhere near enough for that. He was 100% going to kill him, then and there, and there was no way around it. Everyone knew it. There weren't even sighs or gasps in most movie theaters from what I've heard (I didn't hear a peep in mine).

Yes, he was struggling to continue to be on the dark side… but not really.

TRUMP SHOT FIRST TRUMP SHOT FIRST TRUMP SHOT FIRST TRUMP SHOT FIRST TRUMP SHOT FIRST TRUMP SHOT FIRST TRUMP SHOT FIRST TRUMP SHOT FIRST TRUMP SHOT FIRST TRUMP SHOT FIRST TRUMP SHOT FIRST TRUMP SHOT FIRST TRUMP SHOT FIRST TRUMP SHOT FIRST TRUMP SHOT FIRST TRUMP SHOT FIRST TRUMP SHOT FIRST TRUMP SHOT FIRST TRUMP SHOT FIRST TRUMP SHOT FIRST TRUMP SHOT FIRST TRUMP SHOT FIRST TRUMP SHOT FIRST TRUMP SHOT FIRST TRUMP SHOT FIRST TRUMP SHOT FIRST TRUMP SHOT FIRST 

It was pretty clear that Han was going to die, but the scene was constructed (and acted) in such a way that gave you a little bit of doubt. Considering that everyone knew what was coming, to be able to create any doubt at all is pretty amazing. 

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

57 minutes ago, jbishop15 said:

It was pretty clear that Han was going to die, but the scene was constructed (and acted) in such a way that gave you a little bit of doubt. Considering that everyone knew what was coming, to be able to create any doubt at all is pretty amazing. 

Yea, I thought they did a good job drawing it out where a good amount of people would doubt he would be killed. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

LIAM NEESON TRAINED DARTH VADER AND BATMAN, HE REALLY DOES HAVE A VERY PARTICULAR SET OF SKILLS
LIAM NEESON TRAINED DARTH VADER AND BATMAN, HE REALLY DOES HAVE A VERY PARTICULAR SET OF SKILLS

On December 24, 2015 at 10:28 PM, saevel25 said:

I am 90% sure she is Luke's daughter. It just makes sense for me. Either she was the only young Jedi left after Kylo destroyed Luke's reformed Jedi Order or she is her kid. I think it fits. Just the symbolism of her being left on a desert planet like Luke was. Luke goes into hiding like Yoda did. She recognized him when she saw him on the island. He had that pissed off look of, What the hell are you doing here. 

My new favorite theory is that she's Obi-Wan's daughter or granddaughter, based on the fact that she heard his voice (as played by Ewan McGregor) saying her name when she picked up Luke's lightsaber, and the fact that she has a British accent. I just feel like the accent means something. She was a scavenger without a family on Jakku; how would she have picked it up otherwise?

A friend of a friend made an interesting argument that Snoke is Darth Plagueis, Palpatine's Master. A few things on Plagueis. He can bring people back to life. In the books Palpatine had a ton of clones of himself. I can see Plagueis able to fool Palpatine and bide his time. It would explain why he looks so deformed. He had to survive The Emperor's attempted assassination. Also, the more powerful you get in the dark side the more pale and deformed you get because the dark side corrupts them. It isn't like he clones himself to be able to regain age. He basically resurrected himself and would maintain his current body. 

I've read that a few times. It would be an interesting payoff to the Darth Plagueis story from the prequels. Sideous' telling of the story always felt strange, and rushed. Here's this uber-powerful Sith, who can prevent death, and his apprentice is just able to kill him in his sleep? Just like that? 

The lightsaber resistant technology comes from Episode 3 and the droids on the ship in the first scene. They had those pole-arms with electricity or repulsor technology to repel a lightsaber. 

Ahhh, good catch, good catch. The guys who always hung around General Grevious. 

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Reading some negative reviews on the movie - can't find the link now but basically they were all complaining that it was a reboot disguised as a sequel - and I see their point.

I loved it so I don't care ... but it's hard to argue that it was VERY formulaic and similar to Ep 4 in many ways.

Darth Jar Jar reins supreme! Darth Jar Jar reins supreme! Darth Jar Jar reins supreme! Darth Jar Jar reins supreme! Darth Jar Jar reins supreme! Darth Jar Jar reins supreme! Darth Jar Jar reins supreme! Darth Jar Jar reins supreme! Darth Jar Jar reins supreme! Darth Jar Jar reins supreme! Darth Jar Jar reins supreme! Darth Jar Jar reins supreme! Darth Jar Jar reins supreme! Darth Jar Jar reins supreme! Darth Jar Jar reins supreme! Darth Jar Jar reins supreme! Darth Jar Jar reins supreme! Darth Jar Jar reins supreme! Darth Jar Jar reins supreme! Darth Jar Jar reins supreme! Darth Jar Jar reins supreme! Darth Jar Jar reins supreme! Darth Jar Jar reins supreme! Darth Jar Jar reins supreme! Darth Jar Jar reins supreme! 

46 minutes ago, jamo said:

My new favorite theory is that she's Obi-Wan's daughter or granddaughter, based on the fact that she heard his voice (as played by Ewan McGregor) saying her name when she picked up Luke's lightsaber, and the fact that she has a British accent. I just feel like the accent means something. She was a scavenger without a family on Jakku; how would she have picked it up otherwise?

The only problem with that is that the Jedi were chaste, and Obi-Wan seemed rather devout in his ways. Otherwise it seems like a good idea, but that is what makes me think otherwise. 

8 hours ago, Golfingdad said:

Reading some negative reviews on the movie - can't find the link now but basically they were all complaining that it was a reboot disguised as a sequel - and I see their point.

I loved it so I don't care ... but it's hard to argue that it was VERY formulaic and similar to Ep 4 in many ways.

I'm the one in charge. I'M THE ONE IN CHARGE!!!! I'm the one in charge. I'M THE ONE IN CHARGE!!!! I'm the one in charge. I'M THE ONE IN CHARGE!!!! I'm the one in charge. I'M THE ONE IN CHARGE!!!! I'm the one in charge. I'M THE ONE IN CHARGE!!!! I'm the one in charge. I'M THE ONE IN CHARGE!!!! I'm the one in charge. I'M THE ONE IN CHARGE!!!! I'm the one in charge. I'M THE ONE IN CHARGE!!!! I'm the one in charge. I'M THE ONE IN CHARGE!!!! I'm the one in charge. I'M THE ONE IN CHARGE!!!! I'm the one in charge. I'M THE ONE IN CHARGE!!!! I'm the one in charge. I'M THE ONE IN CHARGE!!!! I'm the one in charge. I'M THE ONE IN CHARGE!!!! I'm the one in charge. I'M THE ONE IN CHARGE!!!! I'm the one in charge. I'M THE ONE IN CHARGE!!!! 

I agreed, to a point w/most of those reviews. Here's one of them. Earlier versions of the script had more focus on the kids, not the cast from the original. We all understand the business aspect - take advantage of the popularity of Ford, Fisher and Hamill, give the audience something familiar, establish a foundation. Whether one holds Hollywood to another standard is an individual thing. It would have been nice to give the writers another year. What's another year compared to 30+ odd years? But it is what it is and imho a very good job was done and I eyerolled the mega death star and then came back for repeated viewings.

Steve

10 hours ago, Pretzel said:

The only problem with that is that the Jedi were chaste, and Obi-Wan seemed rather devout in his ways. Otherwise it seems like a good idea, but that is what makes me think otherwise. 

OBI-WAN OBI-WINS OBI-WAN OBI-WINS OBI-WAN OBI-WINS OBI-WAN OBI-WINS OBI-WAN OBI-WINS OBI-WAN OBI-WINS OBI-WAN OBI-WINS OBI-WAN OBI-WINS OBI-WAN OBI-WINS OBI-WAN OBI-WINS OBI-WAN OBI-WINS

Doesn't Luke have the same issue? Unless she was born before the events of A New Hope  

In my bag:

2 hours ago, nevets88 said:

I'm the one in charge. I'M THE ONE IN CHARGE!!!! I'm the one in charge. I'M THE ONE IN CHARGE!!!! I'm the one in charge. I'M THE ONE IN CHARGE!!!! I'm the one in charge. I'M THE ONE IN CHARGE!!!! I'm the one in charge. I'M THE ONE IN CHARGE!!!! I'm the one in charge. I'M THE ONE IN CHARGE!!!! I'm the one in charge. I'M THE ONE IN CHARGE!!!! I'm the one in charge. I'M THE ONE IN CHARGE!!!! I'm the one in charge. I'M THE ONE IN CHARGE!!!! I'm the one in charge. I'M THE ONE IN CHARGE!!!! I'm the one in charge. I'M THE ONE IN CHARGE!!!! I'm the one in charge. I'M THE ONE IN CHARGE!!!! I'm the one in charge. I'M THE ONE IN CHARGE!!!! I'm the one in charge. I'M THE ONE IN CHARGE!!!! I'm the one in charge. I'M THE ONE IN CHARGE!!!! 

I agreed, to a point w/most of those reviews. Here's one of them. Earlier versions of the script had more focus on the kids, not the cast from the original. We all understand the business aspect - take advantage of the popularity of Ford, Fisher and Hamill, give the audience something familiar, establish a foundation. Whether one holds Hollywood to another standard is an individual thing. It would have been nice to give the writers another year. What's another year compared to 30+ odd years? But it is what it is and imho a very good job was done and I eyerolled the mega death star and then came back for repeated viewings.

Yeah, and the point about building a foundation is a great one.  The reeled us back in with all the nostalgia in this one that prequels lacked ... But I don't expect them to follow the 5 and 6 arc from here on out.

If Rey spends all of next episode training with Luke only to leave to go "help" her friends out of a precarious position then it will probably not be as well received as this one.

Note: This thread is 2680 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!