IGNORED

Drill for club head speed

Note: This thread is 3183 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

8 hours ago, Lihu said:

There isn't a real drill. Improved mechanics is the way to get your swing speed to its maximum.

I suppose you can do some resistance training to "activate" the muscles. My son and his team used resistance bands at the performance center during team workouts. After two seasons of this training he's a lot stronger and hits really far. Gained maybe 40 yards, but it might also be that he grew bigger as well? Not sure how much to attribute to the training and how much to starting to hit puberty?

This is what I did. I switched from steel clubs to graphite, but I'm not so sure that the swing is the same or not? It seems like I am doing different things with my muscles using heavier clubs versus lighter ones.

I am currently training with only my i25 with a 55gm shaft, and still gaining some distance (except it's shorter now due to the weather changes).

Is this in general, or specific to the person asking? I suppose it's not good because different muscles are used for heavy versus light? Or is it something else?

Nice video. Meandmygolf have a similar one.

They sure covered a lot of material in this Me and My Golf video - 3 different drills. Thanks.

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

I see golfers that have slower swings that release their lag too early.  There are drills for creating more lag in your swing.  Without seeing your swing, if you slice the ball, you are probably releasing your lag too early. 

Also, keep the arms loose.  I always liked this Ben Hogan clip that shows how effortless he creates his swing speed.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

34 minutes ago, vangator said:

I see golfers that have slower swings that release their lag too early.  There are drills for creating more lag in your swing.  Without seeing your swing, if you slice the ball, you are probably releasing your lag too early. 

Also, keep the arms loose.  I always liked this Ben Hogan clip that shows how effortless he creates his swing speed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AmPuzgBXEM

This kind of brings us back to the mechanics thing. If you don't have good mechanics already, then it is not advisable to attempt any speed drills. It could possibly lead to injury.

To be perfectly honest, even with just improving my swing mechanics in it's current state (improving, but far from "there"), I am hitting the ball far enough to reasonably*** make par on the longest holes on my home courses. Not accurate, but again, my mechanics are far from anything good.

***Using driver/iron on all but one or two par 4 holes, and hybrid on the longest par 4s. Summer conditions 72F etc.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• mvmac changed the title to Drill for club head speed

I wasn't able to watch the video because I have poor reception but I was wondering if anyone had any good isometric exercises for club speed.  It seems like they would be easier on the joints and more effective than swinging no weight as fast as you can.  I have a link to some non golf exercises for training fast twitch muscles that I'll try to post later but it seem like the jury is still out on weather to go light and fast or extremely heavy for more speed in other sports.

Edited by LagShaft

4 hours ago, LagShaft said:

I wasn't able to watch the video because I have poor reception but I was wondering if anyone had any good isometric exercises for club speed.  It seems like they would be easier on the joints and more effective than swinging no weight as fast as you can.  I have a link to some non golf exercises for training fast twitch muscles that I'll try to post later but it seem like the jury is still out on weather to go light and fast or extremely heavy for more speed in other sports.

Many long drivers are pretty muscular with only a few exceptions.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Get a used driver with 10 grams (no more!) lighter shaft than your normal driver and practice. It will improve your larger muscles engagement with your normal driver (well, if you have somewhat good sequencing to begin with). That alone can provide some improvement. But that's it. It won't actually make the muscles faster than they intrinsically already are. Other than that hit a lot of balls with good mechanics, especially sequencing. Over time they learn to fire faster.

Vishal S.

http://breakingmuscle.com/strength-conditioning/increase-your-fast-twitch-potential-with-isometrics-0.   My swing is far from ready to start thinking about adding distance but I was just throwing this out there for discussion.  I've thrown my shoulder out playing baseball and had a back injury so I was wondering if some exercises like these incorporating the muscle groups used in the golf swing along side working on mechanics would be better than swinging less weight.  It may not be as simple as more weight makes you slower  .

14 hours ago, Lihu said:

Many long drivers are pretty muscular with only a few exceptions.

True but I'm sure a lot of that comes from genetics.  Even with PEDs I probably couldn't get to be as big or anywhere near their swing speeds but for an average golfer with a day job looking to add a few yards with out tweaking their back or irritating their joints I don't know if swinging full out in rapid succession is the way to go. Anyway just throwing it out there.

2 minutes ago, LagShaft said:

Edited by LagShaft

Also keep in mind that flexibility, strength training and club technology along with hitting up on the ball all play a part in maximizing  your swing speed as well. 

5 Simple Keys® Associate

"Golf is not a game of great shots. It's a game of the most accurate misses.

The people who win make the smallest mistakes." - Gene Littler

4 hours ago, LagShaft said:

Something like this but maybe using a rope or stronger band to increase intensity.

I'd recommend (and Joey "D" Diovisalvi would too) that last exercise to both sides (right handed swing and left handed swing) so you work both sides of your core.

Note: This thread is 3183 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!