IGNORED

TaylorMade Golf Completes M Family with Introduction of M2 Metalwoods and Irons

mvmac
Note: This thread is 3022 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

4 hours ago, dkolo said:

For the high handicappers these are putatively aimed at, the low lofts are visually imposing and I do think the low spin will be an issue when they do struggle to get the long irons in the air, even though these seek to specifically help that. But I feel the same as I would my 5i, which is that it's the limit of what I can handle in an iron. Even if the balancing of CG and loft works out on paper, in the hands of a higher handicapper, less loft isn't visually reassuring. And I can imagine it can create gapping issues as well.

I think we'll have to wait and see how they look before we can say that. Going from past irons in this category I would have to disagree that they are visually intimidating, it's the opposite in fact. Let's say I gave you two 5-irons, a TaylorMade TP MB 5 iron and a M2 5. Going by how much "confidence" they inspired at address, which one do you think would give you the best chance at getting the ball high in the air with solid contact? Good chance it would be the M2, even thought it's 5.5° stronger than the MB.

I use a GMAX 4-iron to replace my 3-iron and it looks super easy to hit. Like the MB vs the M2, the blade length is longer, top line is meaty and there's a decent amount of offset. 

• Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

12 hours ago, SavvySwede said:

The pros actually have the same peak height throughout the entire bag.

I know. I was just saying that 145 feet for any club seems too high to me. I mean, this is the link to the apex height for the PGA Tour last year: http://www.pgatour.com/stats/stat.02407.2015.html . That stat is apparently on tee shots, so it might not be as accurate as possible. 145 feet is higher than the average apex height of the PGA Tour off the tee!

I get that this clubs are probably not aimed at people like you and me that don't have trouble hitting it high. But that seems extreme.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

2 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

I know. I was just saying that 145 feet for any club seems too high to me. I mean, this is the link to the apex height for the PGA Tour last year: http://www.pgatour.com/stats/stat.02407.2015.html . That stat is apparently on tee shots, so it might not be as accurate as possible. 145 feet is higher than the average apex height of the PGA Tour off the tee!

I get that this clubs are probably not aimed at people like you and me that don't have trouble hitting it high. But that seems extreme.

I think it depends on your swing speed, some people gain distance with more height.

Joe Paradiso

3 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

I think it depends on your swing speed, some people gain distance with more height.

I'm sure I'd gain distance with these clubs, too. But the trade offs might not be worth it. I might be talking out of my ass here, but I think the biggest difference between a SGI or GI club and a players iron is that the GI clubs give you a lot more help getting in the air. Help you might not need if your peak height is 145 feet with the M2.

-- Daniel

23 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

I'm sure I'd gain distance with these clubs, too. But the trade offs might not be worth it. I might be talking out of my ass here, but I think the biggest difference between a SGI or GI club and a players iron is that the GI clubs give you a lot more help getting in the air. Help you might not need if your peak height is 145 feet with the M2.

@SavvySwede is also carrying that 5i 215. The peak height itself isn't an issue since he's not ballooning it. Like I said earlier, the problem may be if it is hard to launch the M2s lower when you need to.

More height on long irons is a good thing. Easier to hold greens with them.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

34 minutes ago, billchao said:

@SavvySwede is also carrying that 5i 215. The peak height itself isn't an issue since he's not ballooning it. Like I said earlier, the problem may be if it is hard to launch the M2s lower when you need to.

More height on long irons is a good thing. Easier to hold greens with them.

Yeah, that's the point that I'm trying to make, less artfully than you did.

I'm also guessing that @SavvySwede doesn't have much trouble getting long irons to hold greens with his current iron set. I'm saying that it might not be the optimal ball fight for your peak height to be 145 feet. Not that the clubs are bad, just that they might not be aimed at people who already get a lot of height on their irons. At a certain point, consistency and control matter more than peak height. I'm wondering if 145 feet is past that point. That's all.

-- Daniel

16 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

I'm also guessing that @SavvySwede doesn't have much trouble getting long irons to hold greens with his current iron set. I'm saying that it might not be the optimal ball fight for your peak height to be 145 feet.

Everyone can use a little help with the long irons, even pros. Plenty of them bag GI 3i and 4i, or hybrids, despite the rest of their set being MB.

But if it affects control and dispersion, I don't know. I asked @SavvySwede in the PGA Show thread.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

41 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

Yeah, that's the point that I'm trying to make, less artfully than you did.

I'm also guessing that @SavvySwede doesn't have much trouble getting long irons to hold greens with his current iron set. I'm saying that it might not be the optimal ball fight for your peak height to be 145 feet. Not that the clubs are bad, just that they might not be aimed at people who already get a lot of height on their irons. At a certain point, consistency and control matter more than peak height. I'm wondering if 145 feet is past that point. That's all.

Works for Jason Day;-) The range was facing into the wind but the high trajectory didn't hurt too much. I could see some issues hitting under trees and such though.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

I got the M1 Driver in November. I was ready for an upgrade and wanted to go with latest/greatest. In terms of adjustablity the reality is that I don't mess with the levers (since deciding on initial settings). Makes me wonder if the M2 would have been a better (and cheaper) choice. Perhaps I will take advantage of the levers in the future though.

I am looking at upgrading my irons as well this Spring. Will have to look at the M2s..

Note: This thread is 3022 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!