IGNORED

What's Your Swing Speed?

Zakko
Note:Β This thread is 3635 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

I didn't read your original post correctly. Were you using a swing speed radar type unit? If so, I've clocked 130-ish on one of those with a 3W. My actual speed was probably more like in the 90s.

This I can definitely believe, and I have pictures to prove it.Β  http://thesandtrap.com/t/72283/distance-club-head-speed-or-technique/18#post_946524

I think we misread his statement (at least I did), the swing speed radar type units are not very accurate.

Oh, I was just throwing out an option for him to get a chance to meet us and prove what he was saying. I remember years ago when I got "fitted" for a driver at Nevada Bob's *an old golf store* I was clocked at 115+ with my horrible swing back then but it was a radar unit so was probably off. I've been wanting to get on an accurate device to have my swing measured so I'm definitely planning on heading to Erie.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon:Β Z355

:callaway:Β XR16 3 Wood
:tmade:Β AeroburnerΒ 19* 3 hybrid
:ping:Β I e1 ironsΒ 4-PW
:vokey:Β SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff:Β Harmonized Sole GrindΒ 56 andΒ Windy City Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

A warning label should go with all of the club head speed/distance threads.

Warning : Hip waders required beyond this point!Β  It's deep ahead.

Oh, I was just throwing out an option for him to get a chance to meet us and prove what he was saying. I remember years ago when I got "fitted" for a driver at Nevada Bob's *an old golf store* I was clocked at 115+ with my horrible swing back then but it was a radar unit so was probably off. I've been wanting to get on an accurate device to have my swing measured so I'm definitely planning on heading to Erie.

I just got measured with a Trakman, and my swing speed without warmup and using street shoes is around 95-100 with a total distance of 254 on 3 drives and 270 on 3 drives (after fixing my setup to get less spin). These seem reasonable since I usually use a wedge on my typical par 4 between 300 to 340 yards.

Warning: Hip waders required beyond this point!Β  It's deep ahead.

I think part of the reason is because most people underestimate the skills of a golfing pro, and think they can get the magic 112 mph swing speed.

What most people don't realize, is that the 112 mph pro swing is pretty effortless for a pro. I saw some of this watching the Toshiba classic with the "old guy" 106 mph swings, and confirmed it watching the Byron Nelson. Kuchar and Bradley made effortless drives deep into the woods from over 300 yards away.

:ping:Β  :tmade:Β Β :callaway:Β Β Β :gamegolf:Β Β :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I just got measured with a Trakman, and my swing speed without warmup and using street shoes is around 95-100 with a total distance of 254 on 3 drives and 270 on 3 drives (after fixing my setup to get less spin). These seem reasonable since I usually use a wedge on my typical par 4 between 300 to 340 yards.

I think part of the reason is because most people underestimate the skills of a golfing pro, and think they can get the magic 112 mph swing speed.

What most people don't realize, is that the 112 mph pro swing is pretty effortless for a pro.

After using gps to track my more recent rounds and seeing my normal carry was just under 250 *since my ball had no roll because of the rain it was sitting within feet or inches from the landing mark* I'm guessing I am just over 100 ss. I'm hoping I do get a chance to hop on a trackman soon to get a more accurate reading and use that to start contemplating future equipment purchases.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

After using gps to track my more recent rounds and seeing my normal carry was just under 250 *since my ball had no roll because of the rain it was sitting within feet or inches from the landing mark* I'm guessing I am just over 100 ss. I'm hoping I do get a chance to hop on a trackman soon to get a more accurate reading and use that to start contemplating future equipment purchases.

Seems reasonable.

Hey @MS256 , we reeled in the need for the "Waders" B-)

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Seems reasonable.

Hey @MS256, we reeled in the need for the "Waders"

Haha, I learned awhile ago that if I'm going to post numbers I have to have some sort of facts to base it on. I'm also using graphs posted online in association with the distances I've measured on the course, my 8i *which loft wise is a 7i* goes just under 170 and reconciling that with my driver carry works out to between 100-110 swing speed. So my closest guess on average is 105-ish. I hate to guess these numbers because, as we all know, guessing not well accepted on this forum!

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

Haha, I learned awhile ago that if I'm going to post numbers I have to have some sort of facts to base it on. I'm also using graphs posted online in association with the distances I've measured on the course, my 8i *which loft wise is a 7i* goes just under 170 and reconciling that with my driver carry works out to between 100-110 swing speed. So my closest guess on average is 105-ish. I hate to guess these numbers because, as we all know, guessing not well accepted on this forum!

An educated guess is always better than an exaggeration or faulty equipment!

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

What most people don't realize, is that the 112 mph pro swing is pretty effortless for a pro. I saw some of this watching the Toshiba classic with the "old guy" 106 mph swings, and confirmed it watching the Byron Nelson. Kuchar and Bradley made effortless drives deep into the woods from over 300 yards away.

First, true to that. Β Golf can be easily denigrated to swing as hard to the farthest. Β Of course, we all know this isn't that straight forward.

Second, I don't believe pro's make "effortless" swing. Β I think you mean to say they make fluid swing. Β When I watch slow-mo of many pro's drives, I know how much efforts they are putting in to one swing. Β It really opened my eyes how much extensions they have, how much acceleration they put on the down swing, how they extend arms through, how their head is far behind even when their torso is twisted so hard. Β With so much practice and work they put on, I think they look "effortless" but I see how much efforts in that "effortless" swing.

First, true to that. Β Golf can be easily denigrated to swing as hard to the farthest. Β Of course, we all know this isn't that straight forward.

Second, I don't believe pro's make "effortless" swing. Β I think you mean to say they make fluid swing. Β When I watch slow-mo of many pro's drives, I know how much efforts they are putting in to one swing. Β It really opened my eyes how much extensions they have, how much acceleration they put on the down swing, how they extend arms through, how their head is far behind even when their torso is twisted so hard. Β With so much practice and work they put on, I think they look "effortless" but I see how much efforts in that "effortless" swing.

I agree that it takes a lot of hard work and training to get to this point.

However, my definition of effortless is simply of physical exertion. They are relaxed. They swing effortlessly, and it doesn't just look that way. I watched several pros from about 12 feet away, and watched their breathing patterns. No signs of exertion as far as I could tell.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

• Administrator

I agree that it takes a lot of hard work and training to get to this point.

However, my definition of effortless is simply of physical exertion. They are relaxed. They swing effortlessly, and it doesn't just look that way. I watched several pros from about 12 feet away, and watched their breathing patterns. No signs of exertion as far as I could tell.

They're exerting quite a bit. It's basic physics.

It may not appear as though they are because they're in balance and properly sequenced.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

It may not appear as though they are because they're in balance and properly sequenced.

Maybe, but it seems like their 112mph swing takes way less effort than the normal person's 90mph swing.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

• Administrator

Maybe, but it seems like their 112mph swing takes way less effort than the normal person's 90mph swing.

It doesn't. Again, basic physics. :) You know this.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

Sure, I agree with this. Perhaps, I also mean that they have less antagonistic muscles opposing their swing.

If I watch a typical golfer, it seems like they exert more effort as their handicap goes up. There is a fair amount of panting and sweat involved for higher handicaps after a tee shot, while a lower handicap of the same physical stature seems to have hardly exerted any effort for the same or longer distances.

Maybe it's just conditioning, less effort or a combination of both.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Sure, I agree with this. Perhaps, I also mean that they have less antagonistic muscles opposing their swing.

If I watch a typical golfer, it seems like they exert more effort as their handicap goes up. There is a fair amount of panting and sweat involved for higher handicaps after a tee shot, while a lower handicap of the same physical stature seems to have hardly exerted any effort for the same or longer distances.

Maybe it's just conditioning, less effort or a combination of both.

True because weekend golfers mostly think he/she can hit far/best by swinging hard. Β Pro's know that it's not the case. Β Proper sequences, balances, extensions will carry the ball to distance they want.

Also we all know there is really a lot of power leak when we swing so all that physical moves don't translate to impact. Β So if you are talking about efficiency, yes most definitely agree with you.

Warning: Hip waders required beyond this point!Β  It's deep ahead.

Well, I suppose it's possible that a midcapper- highcapper has high swingspeeds.

Bubba's swing is homemade, after all... I bet he was getting good numbers even as an amateur golfer.

like is J.B. Holmes's swing homemade etc...

I was looking at this dude from England on youtube Gorilla James. He's got huge clubhead speed - but he's training for long drive competitions so yea...

True because weekend golfers mostly think he/she can hit far/best by swinging hard. Β Pro's know that it's not the case. Β Proper sequences, balances, extensions will carry the ball to distance they want. Β  Also we all know there is really a lot of power leak when we swing so all that physical moves don't translate to impact. Β So if you are talking about efficiency, yes most definitely agree with you.

I should probably have used the word "efficiently". It was not that long ago that I was so inefficient that my current swing seems so effortless. It still looks pretty effortless watching them, though. I guess they distribute the swing throughout the entire body, or something. Really cool to watch up close.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Well, I suppose it's possible that a midcapper- highcapper has high swingspeeds.

Bubba's swing is homemade, after all... I bet he was getting good numbers even as an amateur golfer.

like is J.B. Holmes's swing homemade etc...

I was looking at this dude from England on youtube Gorilla James. He's got huge clubhead speed - but he's training for long drive competitions so yea...

James is also considered a Pro, not an amateur. Currently his club head speed is just north of 120, but he's working with a long drive trainer to get that way up. James hits a 6i 260 yds....

Note:Β This thread is 3635 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!