IGNORED

one arm golfing

VicMac
Note: This thread is 3139 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello, I justnsigned up today.  Hope to get some tips.  I had a syroke and have no use of my left arm.   Does anyone have any tips to help me to golf with my right arm only?  I was never very good even with both arms.  LOL.   Thank you.

Edited by VicMac
misspelled words

I've hit one handed on the range with my right arm and the real trick for me is to maintain the angle of the back of the wrist and forearm well through impact. You have rely more on turning your body through impact to create the power because the arm has to work harder to control the club position.  

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I caddied for a 1 arm golfer when I was young. He was very good. I believe the principals are the same but club face position at impact the most important. Also a solid balanced stance.and strong forearms

• Administrator

I'd first look to see if most one-armed golfers are using their one arm as the lead arm or the trail arm. Memory tells me most use it as the lead arm, so you might consider playing as a "lefty" with the lead arm being your right arm.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 minute ago, VicMac said:

Not sure if I know what you mean,   iacas.

He is suggesting that if you only have use of your right arm, you should consider playing lefty, meaning your good arm is on the target side and can be swung more or less like a straight lever. 

If I had only one arm to use in a golf swing, that would be what I'd try too. 

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

On 2/21/2016 at 10:25 AM, VicMac said:

Hello, I justnsigned up today.  Hope to get some tips.  I had a syroke and have no use of my left arm.   Does anyone have any tips to help me to golf with my right arm only?  I was never very good even with both arms.  LOL.   Thank you.

I thought of this video of Mike Austin.

Looked it up and found a few videos. . .

TAGS: golf swing with one arm

The other way (Not relevant, I know):

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

23 hours ago, iacas said:

I'd first look to see if most one-armed golfers are using their one arm as the lead arm or the trail arm. Memory tells me most use it as the lead arm, so you might consider playing as a "lefty" with the lead arm being your right arm.

Looking around online it looks to be a fairly even spread. I find it much easier to swing from the right hand side because I already have the "muscle memory" to move my body and right arm in that direction. Trying to swing from the left hand side would be like relearning the entire swing. 

• Administrator
20 minutes ago, SavvySwede said:

Looking around online it looks to be a fairly even spread. I find it much easier to swing from the right hand side because I already have the "muscle memory" to move my body and right arm in that direction. Trying to swing from the left hand side would be like relearning the entire swing. 

I don't know about that… If you are used to swinging with two arms you are going to have to relearn quite a bit anyway.

I don't ever practice lefty.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 minute ago, iacas said:

I don't know about that… If you are used to swinging with two arms you are going to have to relearn quite a bit anyway.

I don't ever practice lefty.

Idk, it just seems more natural to me. I could probably play a round of golf today playing one handed with just the trail arm, yet I have trouble finding the ball with just the lead arm (lefty or righty). I figure the guys that swing with the lead arm didn't pick up golf until after they lost use of the other arm. (though I do remember hearing Johnny Miller was very good at it.)

I am ambidextrous and started playing golf right handed and switched around the time I started on this site. My son also switched from righty and caught up to his right hand skill level within 1 lesson.

It's possibly easier to switch handedness than to play one handed. A few people I know were curious and tried out my clubs. Their first swings were horrible, but they caught on fairly quickly to at least make okay contact within a dozen shots or so. Then they would generally just say it's not for them. One player actually switched to lefty, and he was a 36 handicap. Now, he plays 25-ish golf as a lefty.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

there is a old player in my club one armed.

courses with the pro made him play good bogey golf.

he does also have cut off clubs and lighter shafts and head types I believe.

I've tried swinging one armed at the range with either arm.  I am much better with the trail arm.  With the lead arm I am pretty bad and likely to just end up hurting myself.

• Administrator
4 hours ago, allenc said:

I've tried swinging one armed at the range with either arm.  I am much better with the trail arm.  With the lead arm I am pretty bad and likely to just end up hurting myself.

But you're left-handed. If you switched sides and had a righty club, you might still be better with your left hand, except it would be your lead hand.

Maybe. I've got no evidence here, just saying what I think might be more likely to be true. One-armed golfers seem to be split close to 50/50, so… it might not be worth giving up any experience you have from one side.

Note: This thread is 3139 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!