IGNORED

No backswing golf swing?!

stealthhwk
Note: This thread is 3116 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I play regularly with a man in his eighties, and needless to say he is not very supple. He has a very short backswing, and to be honest does not hit the ball far, but hits it straight, and his short game is normally good. What's amazing is his choice of club, mainly because of the short distance he hits the ball. A few weeks ago he was left with a 70 yard pitch over water to a two level green, with the pin on the lower level. Somehow he chipped it over with his three wood, and landed about 4 feet from the pin. AMAZING

In my bag (Motocaddy Light)

Taylormade Burner driver, Taylormade 4 wood, 3 x Ping Karsten Hybrids, 6-SW Ping Karsten irons with reg flex graphite shafts. Odyssey putter, 20 Bridgestone e6 balls, 2 water balls for the 5th hole, loads of tees, 2 golf gloves, a couple of hand warmers, cleaning towel, 5 ball markers, 2 pitch mark repairers, some aspirin, 3 hats, set of waterproofs, an umbrella, a pair of gaiters, 2 pairs of glasses. Christ, it's amazing I can pick the bloody thing up !!

Maybe Dave W. or Iacas remember a mini-tour pro and I think he played on the regular tour for a year or two, Jeff Lewis, I caddied for him at a mini tour event many many years ago, he had the shortest backswing I've ever seen but hit the crap out of the ball.  That's kind of what I thought the OP was talking about.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

37 minutes ago, jsgolfer said:

Maybe Dave W. or Iacas remember a mini-tour pro and I think he played on the regular tour for a year or two, Jeff Lewis, I caddied for him at a mini tour event many many years ago, he had the shortest backswing I've ever seen but hit the crap out of the ball.  That's kind of what I thought the OP was talking about.

Shorter than Doug Sanders?

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

2 minutes ago, SavvySwede said:

Shorter than Doug Sanders?

Way shorter, I'm not sure his back swing ever got above his waist, way inside.  Hit the ball a country mile.  Probably was a hockey player.  I was 17 when I caddied for him at the Greater Bangor Open in Maine.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Well, I guess from the responses, nobody plays this way and the no backswing golf swing as THEY call it is a joke or marketting gimmick at best. Thanks for all the opinions. Im a sucker for oddball ideas sometimes. You guys probably just saved me from looking incredibly foolish. Thanks for that!

Dan Pohl had a short backswing and hit the ball a mile as well.  Massive lag.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

28 minutes ago, vangator said:

Dan Pohl had a short backswing and hit the ball a mile as well.  Massive lag.

He seems to get his arms pretty far to me. Just very little wrist set like J.B Holmes

Went our for a rare bonus round. ( 2 rounds in 1 week) Decided to just enjoy myself and experiment a little with some things floating around in my head, including giving the no backswing thing a serious shot for 9 holes. I saw slightly better than average results but what was amazing, was how it turned my short game around. My short game used to be my strength but lately its been adding 10 strokes a round. With the no backswing plan I was hitting my wedges inside of 3 feet whenever I got within 60 yards of the green!!! This absolutely blew me away! Thats even better than it was before!!! I think Im gonna take  some advice from @iacas I stumbled on by accident, and try to shorten up my backswing for the full shots vs the no backswing thing, as I felt more comfortable with that approach and saw even better results from that plan of attack. But I think Im gonna keep the no backswing for all my partial wedge shots.

33 minutes ago, stealthhwk said:

Went our for a rare bonus round. ( 2 rounds in 1 week) Decided to just enjoy myself and experiment a little with some things floating around in my head, including giving the no backswing thing a serious shot for 9 holes. I saw slightly better than average results but what was amazing, was how it turned my short game around. My short game used to be my strength but lately its been adding 10 strokes a round. With the no backswing plan I was hitting my wedges inside of 3 feet whenever I got within 60 yards of the green!!! This absolutely blew me away! Thats even better than it was before!!! I think Im gonna take  some advice from @iacas I stumbled on by accident, and try to shorten up my backswing for the full shots vs the no backswing thing, as I felt more comfortable with that approach and saw even better results from that plan of attack. But I think Im gonna keep the no backswing for all my partial wedge shots.

So how many under par did you shoot?

7 hours ago, stealthhwk said:

Only got within 60 yards four times. Lol

You'll always get within 60 yards yards at some point during the hole.

• Upvote 1

The guy in the no backswing Golf.com video sneaks in a bitty backswing from the still position. 

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

On 3/3/2016 at 7:45 PM, freshmanUTA said:

I played with a guy that lined up to the ball with the club on his shoulder like a baseball bat and when he was ready he turned and swung... Never seen someone swing so weird and shoot under par.

i was in disbelief when i read that last sentence of this post. shoot under par? for real? was it a full 18 holes?

"Swing with a Purpose" 

What's In The Bag:
Woods: Driver: RBZ stage 2 10* 3 wood: RBZ 15* 5 wood: NIke vapor speed 19*
Irons/ wedges: Rbladez tour 4-PW; Mizuno MP-T4 52*, 56*, CG11 60*
Putter: Odyssey White ice #9

1 hour ago, Bryan Kasper said:

i was in disbelief when i read that last sentence of this post. shoot under par? for real? was it a full 18 holes?

Why are you in disbelief? everyone swings different, that worked for him. He shot a 71 on a par 72. He also had a pretty weird gripping style on his putter and was really good at chipping.

4 minutes ago, freshmanUTA said:

Why are you in disbelief? everyone swings different, that worked for him. He shot a 71 on a par 72. He also had a pretty weird gripping style on his putter and was really good at chipping.

Personal idiosyncrasies sure. But that guy is probably the only person in the world who thinks it's a good idea to swing that way.

14 hours ago, nevets88 said:

The guy in the no backswing Golf.com video sneaks in a bitty backswing from the still position. 

Yeah it was an A3-A4 backswing. Maybe a good drill for some players.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

11 hours ago, Bryan Kasper said:

DIdn't Ryan Moore completely hinge his wrist before taking a backswing because he was injured? He played some tournaments this way. I think.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

7 hours ago, nevets88 said:

DIdn't Ryan Moore completely hinge his wrist before taking a backswing because he was injured? He played some tournaments this way. I think.

Yeah he was starting his swing like this. Hinge it straight up from 1-2 then pivot.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Note: This thread is 3116 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!