IGNORED

Michigan Member

rfeight
Note: This thread is 3117 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi All, 

A new member, admitted lurker, and avid golfer; albeit, hoping to get below 80. 

My story - I've been playing since my dad hauled me out every Sunday morning when I was 7 to the local municipal course that no longer exists. The only reason i went was for the hostess apple pie after the round. I hated it. I got 10 swings starting at the 150 and was always frustrated. Now, years later at the age of 42 I can honestly say that golf is one thing that keeps me and my brothers and dad, so close. We love playing. If you wanna call it playing. I just broke 90 a couple years ago. Wanted to break 80 last year and had double hernia surgery at 41, and am back on track now working on it again. 

My goal joining - Get the info needed to Break 80.  

My strategy - practice better, improve clubs, become a student of the game

Practicing - I have been using two break 80 strategies I found online. The first focuses on hitting the ball well, starting with the short irons. Then driver and putter. The second is more about course management, and playing without ego. In the winter here in Michigan, I play in my basement using an Optishot. And now that the weather is nicer, I go to the driving range 3 to 5 times a week, so practice is available, but I also think I'm lacking in a decent clubs. I noticed since getting my Odyssey putter and R11 driver a few years ago that these clubs perform better, when I'm on, than my older clubs. Particularly the putter. 

Improve clubs - I play with cavity back cheap set of Orlimar Black Ice clubs from Dunhams, a couple Cleveland wedges (60/56) an odyssey putter, and a used R11 driver. I'm to the point where I can afford, and would like to have a set of clubs made, probably down at Mies golf in Ypsilanti Michigan. I'm pretty accurate from 140 in, but terribly in-consistent outside of that. Some clubs feel way better than others, and I think it's the shaft length and how it sits on the ground. That's why I was thinking about having a set made. I'm torn about what to get. 

I like the cavity forgiveness, but can actually work the ball a little when I'm playing well, which is hard to do with the cavities. So I was leaning towards musclebacks. Anyway, Thanks for having me in the forum. You can see me on twitter at rfeight. 

Rich

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Welcome to TST!!

Lots of information here to help you improve.  This site is not about the same old "regurgitated" swing tips you read in golf magazines.

I think you are on the right track with your goals for improving.  You mention that you are working on your ball striking.  This is definitely where you want to spend most of your practice time.  You also mention course management.  There is a great book (Lowest Score Wins) that covers this (and more).  

Good luck!

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

38 minutes ago, rfeight said:

Practicing - I have been using two break 80 strategies I found online. The first focuses on hitting the ball well, starting with the short irons. Then driver and putter. The second is more about course management, and playing without ego. In the winter here in Michigan, I play in my basement using an Optishot. And now that the weather is nicer, I go to the driving range 3 to 5 times a week, so practice is available, but I also think I'm lacking in a decent clubs. I noticed since getting my Odyssey putter and R11 driver a few years ago that these clubs perform better, when I'm on, than my older clubs. Particularly the putter.

You've come to the best site for golfers ;)

you are on the right track by working on your ball striking. If you are looking for great information on course management check out this book, http://lowestscorewins.com/. One of the best golf books out there today.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

The book sounds intriguing. Does it come with the app? Or is that an additional charge? 

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, rfeight said:

The book sounds intriguing. Does it come with the app? Or is that an additional charge? 

The app is free if you want to get it.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I'll check it out. my order is in. I was about to buy the Game golf living tracking system, but the app sounds like it could do the same. The book sounds right up my alley. Thanks for the suggestion... and the stellar site. 

2 hours ago, rfeight said:

I'll check it out. my order is in. I was about to buy the Game golf living tracking system, but the app sounds like it could do the same. The book sounds right up my alley. Thanks for the suggestion... and the stellar site. 

Be prepared.  It is possible the book may completely change the way you think about golf..... in a good way.  A lot of amazingly good information explained in a way that makes sense.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Welcome to the board - to a fellow Mid-Michigander!

Too bad Golf Haus closed, they had some of the best deals on equipment in the area; now, other than big box (Dick's) and pro shops (NTTIAWWT), you should at least check out Leading Edge Golf in Okemos (I think it is the same guys who used to rund Players Choice) also look to Forest Akers for demo days.

Players play, tough players win!

Thanks Wally. I got my first set of clubs from Golf Haus when I was 7 years old. I played on the same baseball team as the owner. I loved those clubs. Real woods. 

I was thinking about going to Miles Golf in Ypsi for a fitting later this spring when I get my swing grooved a little better. Never been fitted and I hear they'd awesome. 

Note: This thread is 3117 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!