IGNORED

Is my wedge ATR due to cracking?

Golfer2223
Note: This thread is 2956 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have a 60 degree wedge that I would like to use through this season. It's a replaceable face Taylor Made xtf conforming (not Z nonconforming grooves). There is literally nowhere to buy the replaceable faces anymore, they have become like rare gold on ebay. Anyway my grooves are okay but the bottom of the face plate where it connects to the head is becoming cracked, forming a quasi groove. Is this club now illegal by USGA rules because of the fracture? I don't think this created groove comes into play on normal shots, though it may be deep enough to impact something, though not noticeably. Is this conforming if I were to play in a tour qualifier or tour event? 

Please read this thread when considering swing advice from me.

Rule 4-1b says, in part, "A club that conforms with the Rules when new is deemed to conform after wear through normal use."

"Age improves with wine."

Wishon 919THI 11*
Wishon 925HL 4w
Wishon 335HL 3h & 4h
Wishon 755pc 5i, 6i, 7i, 8i & 9i
Tad Moore 485 PW
Callaway X 54*
Ping G2 Anser C
Callaway SuperSoft
Titleist StaDry
Kangaroo Hillcrest AB

I remember those Taylormade xtf wedges, a great concept but also the worst sounding/feeling wedge from a major brand I can remember. Could you upload a photo?

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 20.3.2016 at 4:41 AM, Asheville said:

Rule 4-1b says, in part, "A club that conforms with the Rules when new is deemed to conform after wear through normal use."

From R&A rules Q&A about woods, not sure about wedge:

Q.The face of my driver has developed a crack through the normal course of play. I want to carry on using the club, but does it conform?

A. If the crack is a hairline crack which cannot easily be detected by touch, then it would be regarded as wear rather than damage and, as such, the driver could continue to be used. As soon as the crack becomes more than a hairline crack (e.g. it develops a sharp raised edge, or there is essentially of a hole in the face), it should be regarded as a damaged club which is non-conforming.

• Upvote 1

If it were me, playing in a sanctioned event, I would show the club to an official of the event and get a ruling. I'd also have a back up club just in case. 

Edited by Patch

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

On 3/20/2016 at 8:34 PM, Golfer2223 said:

I have a 60 degree wedge that I would like to use through this season. It's a replaceable face Taylor Made xtf conforming (not Z nonconforming grooves). There is literally nowhere to buy the replaceable faces anymore, they have become like rare gold on ebay. Anyway my grooves are okay but the bottom of the face plate where it connects to the head is becoming cracked, forming a quasi groove. Is this club now illegal by USGA rules because of the fracture? I don't think this created groove comes into play on normal shots, though it may be deep enough to impact something, though not noticeably. Is this conforming if I were to play in a tour qualifier or tour event? 

Why not simply replace it?  If you love it, then keep it but put it into semi-retirement.  That way you keep playing with an unquestionably conforming club and have time to keep searching for a new face plate for the old one.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Note: This thread is 2956 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!