IGNORED

Ow my back

DrvFrShow
Note: This thread is 2935 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

On 4/15/2016 at 1:21 PM, DrvFrShow said:

Well, I did it again. It would be one thing if I was doing something I enjoyed, but standing.... yes standing and turning to pick up my cell phone to drive down to the post office and mail my tax extension form with payment was just stupid. Ow. Lower back. L5 area. No shooting pain. Could be a muscle. Could be a herniated disk. In any event, the treatment is the same. Ice it. Rest it. Then heat and ice. Then walk. Then mild core exercises. Then see what happens. Probably out a couple weeks. Maybe three. Maybe a month. We'll see. 

So my expectations for the summer just got lowered to: just be able to play.

Sorry to hear it.  I have a history of back problems, so I know where you're coming from.  I imagine you've heard about all sorts of exercises over the years.  Below are a couple of rather odd things that I've found helps me out:  

Burpees.  You know, the exercise where you go down to your hands, kick your feet out behind you, then hop your feet back under you, and stand up.  I do ten of these most every morning, and it loosens up my back considerably.  Of course, in your present state you won't be doing any sort of exercise for several weeks.   

When I pull my back really bad I do the following: I alternate hot and cold on my back ASAP, while lying down, generally on the floor.  While doing this I take a prescription pain killer and a couple of muscle relaxants.  And then (this is the good part. lol) I drink three or four whiskeys until I'm out cold.  Ha ha!  I know this sounds weird, and perhaps irresponsible.  But it actually does work.  For me anyway.  I nearly always wake up feeling a LOT better.  Although sometimes with a hangover.  

Hope you're feeling better soon. 

Sacroilliac. That was the diagnosis. Actually good news. Discs can really be bad. I didn't want muscle relaxants since I can sleep. He prescribed Zorvolex, so no more Ibuprofen. I'm supposed to start taking walks today. I'm supposed to e-mail him next Monday to let him know how I'm doing and we'll go from there. 

I should be playing golf in about 4 to 6 weeks.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

8 minutes ago, DrvFrShow said:

Sacroilliac. That was the diagnosis. Actually good news. Discs can really be bad. I didn't want muscle relaxants since I can sleep. He prescribed Zorvolex, so no more Ibuprofen. I'm supposed to start taking walks today. I'm supposed to e-mail him next Monday to let him know how I'm doing and we'll go from there. 

Cool! :dance:

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

1 hour ago, DrvFrShow said:

Julia, 

I first injured my SI joint in high school (1978). I slipped on ice while doing the hurdles in track. It felt like someone stabbed me. I've battled with it over the years. Ibuprofen doesn't help that much. The things below really help a lot.

1. First, proper stretching can help alleviate pain. There is a quad-type stretch you can do to alleviate tightness and take pressure off the SI. To do it right, you pull your foot up behind you and put it on a bar or wall. I've even used a bicycle seat. You are not just stretching the quad, but also the psoas muscle. The psoas runs from the front on the top of the femur to the SI. To stretch it properly, you sit down a small amount first, tighten the glute, then stand up gently. I stretches the psoas. Hold it for 20 seconds and repeat. 
    1. Psoas musclepsoas.png
    2. When you injure your SI, any tightening of the psoas will keep the joint from going back in place. You can do this stretch often. I do it at work using a counter to put my foot on.
    3. There are a lot of psoas stretch images on the web, but most of them are just hip flexor stretches and will be ineffective. Below is one that is shown kneeling down. You may need to start here first until you get more flexible.
    4. psoas stretch.jpg
    5. The important part is sitting back first and then tighten the glute. Tightening the glute causes the quad and psoas to relax.It makes the stretch more effective.
    6. You will know you are doing it right when the pain level decreases or subsides.
  2. Ice will alleviate pain until the joint calms down. More so than ibuprofen. Ice it a few times a day if you can. I use those reusable ice gel packs with a tin cloth between the pack and skin. You can get holders for them too.
  3. I also will lie on a heating pad before I go to sleep to relax the area and promote healing. 
  4. Core strengthening exercises help a lot. You may have to wait until the pain subsides, but I work on them all the time. 
  5. Lastly, I reviewed this belt on the site as part of a Member review. It is amazing for SI joint support and even pain relief. 
    1. http://www.serola.net/serola-sacroiliac-belt
    2. I wear it when I work out and on the range sometimes.
    3. If my SI acts up, I wear the belt around the house.
    4. You can wear it underneath your clothing or on top.
    5. It is very effect and allowed me to go back to doing squats
    6. I've worn it playing a round too.
    7. It is not bulky and really works. Give it a try.

Best of luck in your recovery.

• Upvote 3

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I did the left side, so which leg goes forward?

Julia

Spoiler

1 hour ago, DrvFrShow said:

I did the left side, so which leg goes forward?

The opposite leg, right.  You are trying to stretch the muscles attached to the same side SI joint. 

Scott

My Swing Thread

So if I threw my left side out, my left knee is on the floor?

Julia

Spoiler

6 hours ago, DrvFrShow said:

So if I threw my left side out, my left knee is on the floor?

Yes. The photo of the lady doing the stretch shows her stretching the right side. You want to stretch the left. But do both anyway for balance.

Scott

My Swing Thread

2 hours ago, boogielicious said:

Yes. The photo of the lady doing the stretch shows her stretching the right side. You want to stretch the left. But do both anyway for balance.

this.

Colin P.

On ‎4‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 2:21 PM, DrvFrShow said:

Well, I did it again. It would be one thing if I was doing something I enjoyed, but standing.... yes standing and turning to pick up my cell phone to drive down to the post office and mail my tax extension form with payment was just stupid. Ow. Lower back. L5 area. No shooting pain. Could be a muscle. Could be a herniated disk. In any event, the treatment is the same. Ice it. Rest it. Then heat and ice. Then walk. Then mild core exercises. Then see what happens. Probably out a couple weeks. Maybe three. Maybe a month. We'll see. 

So my expectations for the summer just got lowered to: just be able to play.

Don't know about you, but my body isn't like it was when I was in my 20s.  At 58 I  just discovered the fountain of youth by using those massage foam & hard rollers.  They loosen up those muscle knots and tightness; by flushing the toxins and waste out, so fresh blood can get in there and heal and help them recover faster. Can't afford pro massages, but at $30 a roller recovery kit from Dick's was my ticket to feeling good again. Oh, golf game is better now that the muscles are more supple and flexible.

Note: This thread is 2935 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!