IGNORED

Ow my back

DrvFrShow
Note: This thread is 2925 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Well, I did it again. It would be one thing if I was doing something I enjoyed, but standing.... yes standing and turning to pick up my cell phone to drive down to the post office and mail my tax extension form with payment was just stupid. Ow. Lower back. L5 area. No shooting pain. Could be a muscle. Could be a herniated disk. In any event, the treatment is the same. Ice it. Rest it. Then heat and ice. Then walk. Then mild core exercises. Then see what happens. Probably out a couple weeks. Maybe three. Maybe a month. We'll see. 

So my expectations for the summer just got lowered to: just be able to play.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

:-( rubbish news. Have you got a foam roller? One of my mates has back issues after years of rugby and swears by it for keeping him moving.

Fingers crossed for you and hope it's just a short-lived issue.

• Upvote 2

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

22 hours ago, DrvFrShow said:

Well, I did it again. It would be one thing if I was doing something I enjoyed, but standing.... yes standing and turning to pick up my cell phone to drive down to the post office and mail my tax extension form with payment was just stupid. Ow. Lower back. L5 area. No shooting pain. Could be a muscle. Could be a herniated disk. In any event, the treatment is the same. Ice it. Rest it. Then heat and ice. Then walk. Then mild core exercises. Then see what happens. Probably out a couple weeks. Maybe three. Maybe a month. We'll see. 

So my expectations for the summer just got lowered to: just be able to play.

Golf has done the following to me, in just 7 months. Right shoulder impingement, left tennis elbow, right golfers elbow, lower back muscle pain, and now my left shoulder hast gone. Who ever said this game is good for you ?

In my bag (Motocaddy Light)

Taylormade Burner driver, Taylormade 4 wood, 3 x Ping Karsten Hybrids, 6-SW Ping Karsten irons with reg flex graphite shafts. Odyssey putter, 20 Bridgestone e6 balls, 2 water balls for the 5th hole, loads of tees, 2 golf gloves, a couple of hand warmers, cleaning towel, 5 ball markers, 2 pitch mark repairers, some aspirin, 3 hats, set of waterproofs, an umbrella, a pair of gaiters, 2 pairs of glasses. Christ, it's amazing I can pick the bloody thing up !!

Many bad backs are a result of poor abdominal muscles, it's best to strengthen the entire core and not just one part.  

• Upvote 1

Joe Paradiso

Get well @DrvFrShow, no fun.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

20 hours ago, colin007 said:

Learn how to do a proper deadlift, that's the exercise you want for strengthening your lower back.

19 hours ago, newtogolf said:

Many bad backs are a result of poor abdominal muscles, it's best to strengthen the entire core and not just one part.  

Yup and yup.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Could it be sciatica?

I have a problem with that off and on and I've been able to manage it with stretching.  I have a 20 minute stretching routine that I do every morning and 10 minutes of that is for my lower back.  If I don't have enough time for cardio, strength and stretching then... stretching is what I do.  I haven't missed a day of stretching in the last two years.

I've added the back remedy from this dvd to my stretching routine and those specific stretches are what helped me.  It is not instant for me, when my back would get real bad it would take maybe two to three weeks to recover.  Now that I always do this as part of my routine my back hasn't gotten to the real bad stage in the last two years (knock on wood).

Maybe it will work for you.  Some problems are too severe for this though but it is certainly worth a try.

http://www.amazon.com/Healing-Yoga-Rodney-Yee/dp/B000YV1L0S/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1460999752&sr=8-2&keywords=healing+yoga

• Upvote 1

I'm off to the doc. Get some lunch and off to my doc in Seattle. Probably will get a MRI down here later this week to make sure what we're dealing with. Then figure out what to do - probably schedule with the Orthopedist and PT. 

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

23 hours ago, colin007 said:

Learn how to do a proper deadlift, that's the exercise you want for strengthening your lower back.

I do not agree. Especially at this time.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

16 minutes ago, DrvFrShow said:

I'm off to the doc. Get some lunch and off to my doc in Seattle. Probably will get a MRI down here later this week to make sure what we're dealing with. Then figure out what to do - probably schedule with the Orthopedist and PT. 

G'luck young lady. Hope you get out there swinging soon. I went through a 7-8 years period where I would throw It out doing 'stupid' stuff. Most I lost was a week. Chin up.

Vishal S.

Ouch. Get well, Julia.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

18 hours ago, Valleygolfer said:

I do not agree. Especially at this time.

of course shes not gonna be able to do that any time soon, but once shes cleared, deadlifts are an amazing total body lift thatll help strengthen the back, as long as she does it correctly with a neutral spine and activates her hamstrings and glutes. start with romanian deadlifts from a standing position.

Colin P.

Julia, I'm hoping it doesn't take too long for you to get better.

The back can be a fickle thing, R&R and do not rush the healing process.

Good Luck

Brian   

That sucks. Lately my back has been holding up. I agree once cleared that core and back exercises are the way to go along with stretching. I need to take some of this advice myself. Hoping it is just a strained muscle and nothing more.  Hang in there and get better. 

I wouldn't be surprised if I started having similar problems before too much longer with my history of back injury. I know my father has been struggling with similar issues for years, unfortunately he never takes the proper time and steps to allow it to heal so it's becoming much more of a chronic problem for him. Glad to hear you are going to do the right things to let it heal up so you avoid the same fate.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Note: This thread is 2925 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!