IGNORED

2016 Valero Texas Open Discussion

iacas
Note: This thread is 2932 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've had the flu since Tuesday. At least they could have shown an exciting tournament. This one is a snoozer. I'm surprised Sir Nick hasn't dozed off at times. The LPGA show is much better this week.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My money's on Patrick Reed from here. Can't see many others closing or making a charge today. 

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

On a positive note the tournament should end earlier since they are in groups of three not two.  Of all the leaders I only care if Reed or Donald win.  The wind is supposed to pick up so that could make it more interesting. 

• Upvote 1

Joe Paradiso

16 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

On a positive note the tournament should end earlier since they are in groups of three not two.  Of all the leaders I only care if Reed or Donald win.  The wind is supposed to pick up so that could make it more interesting. 

100% my thoughts. Preference would be Donald as I think a win would really kickstart his return to form.

Have to say as well, this course just does nothing for me. I'm sure the design is decent, but it really doesn't look or play that interesting...

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

1 hour ago, Natural Patrick said:

Not a Luke fan, Great for Charlie, He deserved it for all his 4th round troubles in the past. Reed had his chances for sure,

Reed couldn't get any putts to drop.  I thought for sure he was going to tie for the lead when he put his approach shot within 5' of the hole and Charlie rolled off the green but Hoffman hit a great chip shot and Reed pushed his putt.  

Reed has finished top 10 in 8 of 13 tournaments this season and he's 8th in FedExCup points but he doesn't seem to have that intensity he did his first year.  I think it's time he moves on from the Tiger red and black on Sundays and creates his own Sunday colors.  

Joe Paradiso

Congrats Charlie Hoffman, didn't know he's a level 3 TPI instructor.

Strokes gained breakdown from Broadie:

Here’s a strokes gained breakdown of the top-eight finishers at the Valero Texas Open:

Strokes gained per round (ranks in parentheses)  
Player Total Drive Appr Short Putt
Charley Hoffman 3.1 (1) 0.7 (13) 1.1 (11) -0.2 (52) 1.5 (5)
Patrick Reed 2.8 (2) 0.6 (18) 0.8 (19) 1.7 (3) -0.3 (58)
Chad Collins 2.6 (3) 0.1 (43) 0.0 (48) 1.7 (2) 0.7 (25)
Ryan Palmer 2.3 (T4) 0.7 (15) 0.4 (32) 0.4 (27) 0.9 (16)
Billy Horschel 2.3 (T4) 0.8 (6) 0.0 (49) 0.0 (42) 1.4 (7)
Martin Piller 2.3 (T4) 0.8 (5) 0.2 (40) 0.0 (45) 1.4 (9)
Ricky Barnes 2.3 (T4) -0.4 (61) 1.3 (3) 1.4 (6) 0.1 (45)
Kevin Chappell 2.3 (T4) 0.8 (8) 1.0 (15) -0.3 (54) 0.8 (22)

Top 8 average 2.5 0.5 0.6 0.6 0.8
Fraction of total 100% 21% 24% 23% 32%

Here’s a strokes gained breakdown of the final round for the top-eight finishers at the Valero Texas Open:

Strokes gained in the final round (ranks in parentheses)  
Player Total Drive Appr Short Putt
Charley Hoffman 2.8 (15) 1.6 (3) 1.9 (7) -2.0 (66) 1.3 (14)
Patrick Reed 2.8 (16) 0.6 (25) 0.7 (25) 1.5 (10) -0.1 (39)
Chad Collins 2.8 (10) -1.2 (62) 0.4 (31) 1.9 (5) 1.7 (10)
Ryan Palmer 2.8 (12) 0.6 (24) -0.2 (50) 0.0 (36) 2.4 (6)
Billy Horschel 1.8 (18) 0.3 (32) 0.0 (46) 0.4 (26) 1.1 (16)
Martin Piller 1.8 (21) 0.4 (29) -0.1 (48) 1.3 (14) 0.3 (29)
Ricky Barnes -2.2 (56) -1.3 (63) 0.6 (27) -0.5 (43) -1.0 (50)
Kevin Chappell 3.8 (8) 1.2 (5) 0.4 (33) 0.3 (27) 1.9 (8)

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Note: This thread is 2932 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!