IGNORED

Ace or Albatross?

IT Man
Note: This thread is 6006 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Ace or Albatross

• Ace
    • Albatross

What would you rather have, or what do you feel is the harder shot, the Albatross or the Ace
What's in the bag (and what kind of Bag...)
Aerolite Walking Bag (no riding!)
HiBore XL 9.5°
Orilmar Tri-Metal 19°
G2 4-PW CG10 52° 588 56°Knight 64° Ansr G2I

I've had two aces and sniffs at some others, but have never come close to the albatross, so I'd have to go with the double eagle being the hardest. I know several people who have had aces, but only two who have double eagled.

Ping G 410 10.5 ˚ Driver Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 14.5˚ 3 Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 19˚ Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
i 500 irons 4-UW 1/2 inch over, blue dot, NS Pro Modus 105 Stiff Shafts
Ping Stealth Wedges Wedges  54˚ 58˚

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 34" 

The Albatross is the harder shot. Your hitting from the fairway with a long club in your hand. Par 3 can be from 90 yards to 220 and you have the advantage of teeing up the ball.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

Albatross.

If you get a hole in one it could be from a 100-150 yard par 3 hole which is just a nice little wedge shot or short iron but holing out from around 200-250 with a wood or 2, 3 or 4 iron is incredibly difficult, not to mention that you are not using a tee.

Dean Knuth says the odds of making a double eagle are about 1,000,000:1. The odds of making a hole-in-one are about 13,000:1.

According to about.com, "between 1983 to 2003, there were 631 aces on the PGA Tour but just 56 double-eagles."

So, the harder shot is clearly the albatross. I would rather make the harder shot, so I voted albatross.

Did you know that Jackie Gagne has made 6 albatrosses this year? That's gotta be some kind of record.

What's in my bag:

Driver: R7 CGB Max, regular shaft
4-wood and 7-wood: :: Launcher, regular shafts
4-iron to A-wedge: X-20, regular steel shafts56- and 60-degree wedge: forged, stiff steel shafts, vintage finish, MD groovesPutter: Circa '62, No. 7, steel shaft, 35"Ball: NXT Tour or ProV1(x)...

both are hard and both are just luck. I've had two aces and a couple of albatrosses and I'd say they were both lucky shots. If any real skill was involved the pros would have a couple every weekend.

R7 9.5 S Shaft
560 R7 quad R shaft
RAC LT irons
Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum

I'll take an ace over an albatross. Something about a hole-in-one that I'd like to put on my resume.

L4Vx Diamana Red
Burner 15° R
#5 3DX DC
Raptures 4-U Wedge z-z65 Shafts
SM Oil Can Vokey 56° Black Series i #1 b330

How about acing a par 4 and knocking off both in one shot?

I'd love to have an albatross. I have one ace and a couple leaners over the years. I've been within 12 feet of the ace/albatross on a par four, but that's as close as I've ever come (and I two-putted that for birdie... semi-bummer).

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
--Groucho Marx

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've come pretty close to making aces before. The closest I've came to an albatross is when I drove a par four to within about ten feet of the hole. The albatross is the much tougher shot to make, so I'd rather have an albatross than an ace.

Driver Tour Burner 9.5*
3 Wood Burner High Launch 14.5*
Hyrbid Burner Tour Launch 20*
Irons: R7 4-PW
Wedges: CG12 50* 56* Vokey Spin Milled 60*Putter: Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2Backup: 2-ball XG Center ShaftBall: Pro V1xAge: 16

I agree that the Albatross is the more difficult of the two, but I think I would rather have an ace.

Just to stand on a tee box, pull out one club, swing it, and then enjoy the "high" during your 150 or so yard walk, to me that is really something.

One ball, one club, one swing...

Note: I have had neither one, so I reserve the right to change my opinion later.

:)

In the bag:
Driver: R7 Quad
Irons: Eye 2 + (Red Dot)
Wedges: Vokey (52, 56, 60)Putter: Anser G2iBalls: (Pro V1, NXT, DT Solo, Whatever is handy)

What would you rather have, or what do you feel is the harder shot, the Albatross or the Ace

Although I've come closer to an albatross (I swear to this day it must have been an inch at most) than an ace, statistically speaking it's much harder to get an albatross then an ace.

I'd once read the odds of an ace for an amateur are approximately one in twelve thousand, which is pretty slim, but consider an albatross: that means either a hole in one on a par four or getting home in two on a par five. On long par fours that is next to impossible (considering a 450+ yard par 4 for example, but the ball cannot travel much past 400 or it will deform and lose distance). On a par five that means you need to be long enough to get within range for your second shot (which is still in all likelihood a longer club than you'd hit on most par 3's.) It would vary widely by skill level, ranging from nearly impossible for the hack to say, one in 20,000 for pros. I think - I'm just putting a number on it. It would be impossible to get an albatross on a 550 yard par 5 if the average Joe only hits it 200. Conversely if he hits it 300 and has 250 to go, he has a slim chance (3 wood? That's the situation I was once in, in fact...) I think I'm just over analyzing it: bottom line, ace is easier.
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

An Albatross is more difficult but not having had either I would certainly settle for an ace!

23Rounder

Tour Burner 9.5 / RE*AX 60g Stiff
Launcher 13 & 17 Fairway / Fujikura Gold Stiff
MT Pro-C 3-W / DG S300 MP 52.07 Vokey SM58.12 Tracy II, 34" Putter Z-URS or NXT Tour

Albatross is the hardest as golf shots gets . Will not enumerate the hole in ones i made . I only got 2 Albatross in my golfing experience . Thats why my Code sign . These are far from luck . I had to bring my game to almost Tour standards to be able to put myself in a situation to accomplish this Feat .

Albatross is unquestionably harder, but I'd rather have an ace.

Cleveland Launcher Comp, 9.5* stiff
TaylorMade V-Steel, T/S stiff
Cleveland Halo, 19* stiff
Mizuno MP-32, stiff
Cleveland 588 Gunmetal, 51*Cleveland 588 DSG RTG, 56*Scotty Cameron Newport II

Albatross is the hardest as golf shots gets . Will not enumerate the hole in ones i made . I only got 2 Albatross in my golfing experience . Thats why my Code sign . These are far from luck .

Sorry, dude, but holing out for 2 on a par 5 has more to do with luck than skill. If that weren't the case, you'd see it less infrequently on Tour. I've seen tons of aces from Tour players - how many albatrosses have you seen?

Cleveland Launcher Comp, 9.5* stiff
TaylorMade V-Steel, T/S stiff
Cleveland Halo, 19* stiff
Mizuno MP-32, stiff
Cleveland 588 Gunmetal, 51*Cleveland 588 DSG RTG, 56*Scotty Cameron Newport II

I am living proof of the luck part. I have had 3 aces and only one of them was actually a good shot. Besides I only reach about 6-8 par 5s in two each year. I did put one close on a short (280) downwind, downhill par 4 with a blind tee shot. More skill and just as much luck required so I don't expect I will ever have one.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

Sorry, dude, but holing out for 2 on a par 5 has more to do with luck than skill. If that weren't the case, you'd see it less infrequently on Tour. I've seen tons of aces from Tour players - how many albatrosses have you seen?

If you ask the Tour players they will agree with you about both involving a great deal of luck. These guys are great ball strikers, but they are not so good that they can control the ball from that far out.

I also agree that the albatross is harder but would rather have an ace. Simply because if you talk to a non-golfer and tell them you had a hole-in-one, they will know immediately what you did. An albatross would take explaining and still may not seem as impressive. I have come much closer to aces on several occasions. The closest I have had to an albatross were in the 6-10 foot range on some short par 4's and 10-15 feet on par 5's.
Driver: 9.5° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

Note: This thread is 6006 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!