153 posts / 26956 viewsLast Reply

2 hours ago, lastings said:

I have found this thread to be a hilarious illustration of how difficult golf is.   

2 years ago, this thread and its topic was the epitome of all the problems in my golf swing.  A steep downswing created an over-the-top move (or, vice versa), which created a weak fade with poor contact.   I have worked harder on this one idea than anything else for two years, and now i've gone too far in the other direction.   If I don't think about keeping my swing steep now, I'll shallow way to much and swing as much as 10 degrees in-to-out.   Additionally, if i have a good shoulder turn, I can't really even fade the ball if I try anymore.   

Don't get me wrong, this current situation is way better than before.   As long as focus on what I'm doing adn don't get lazy, I have the ability to swing on the path that I want.  Also, being able to swing 10 degrees in-to-out on command has given me the ability to hit big sweeping hook 3-irons when I want to, which is kind of fun.   

I just find it amusing that two years I couldn't swing in-to-out if I wanted to, and now I can't do the opposite.   golf is hard.   

Yep. When most people refer to over the top, it's at A4. But you can shallow ok at 4, but be over the top at A6. Or OTT - "over the bottom" between A6 and A7. Not being OTT at A4 helps a lot, but generally, it's not the end of the road imho.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

4 hours ago, nevets88 said:

Yep. When most people refer to over the top, it's at A4. But you can shallow ok at 4, but be over the top at A6. Or OTT - "over the bottom" between A6 and A7. Not being OTT at A4 helps a lot, but generally, it's not the end of the road imho.

I don't agree with the bold.

And some of the worst over-the-top moves (around A5 to A6) occur from the "deepest" and/or "shallowest" backswings.

2 hours ago, iacas said:

I don't agree with the bold.

And some of the worst over-the-top moves (around A5 to A6) occur from the "deepest" and/or "shallowest" backswings.

Ah, thanks for pointing that out. Hey, maybe this might be material for swing myths? My perception is that most of the time when reading magazines or video tips, instructors are talking about throwing out the angles from 4, that's not just me, right?

I cannot say enough good things about this thread and am thankful for the OP starting it!

Everything I have done with a bum shoulder leads to steep and more steepness... it's pathetic really.   But after watching the videos and the discussion about the swing it has been eye opening. 

Here is another video that has helped me clean up my takeaway (which was way inside).  All of these things have given me hope...

17 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Ah, thanks for pointing that out. Hey, maybe this might be material for swing myths? My perception is that most of the time when reading magazines or video tips, instructors are talking about throwing out the angles from 4, that's not just me, right?

I don't think "throwing out the angles" is the same as "over the top" either.

Maybe a discussion for a different topic.

So the topic of this thread is something I’ve been working on for quite some time. 

But then I look at videos like this one:

and look how steep he comes in? 

12 minutes ago, Killa said:

So the topic of this thread is something I’ve been working on for quite some time. 

well, for one, this isn't a perfect angle so you can't see exactly.   But, it looks to me like he is coming in right down the line.   Watch his first move from the top.  his hands are definitely not coming over.    Additionally, it does look like he is playing a bit of a fade here, so for that to happen he does have to be a bit over the line (if his face is square).   

15 hours ago, Killa said:

He is not steep. At A5, the club shaft is pointed past the ball. Steepness is referred to the shaft pointing inside the ball at A5. It is not always required in a swing, but it can be an indicator of an out-to-in swing.

tiger A5.PNG

Ok then I might not be as steep as I thought. But I still can’t come from the inside on most shots even though I get a draw here and there. 

117721A8-A008-4793-836A-F4E999898647.jpeg