IGNORED

Clarify neutral golf grip please

Note: This thread is 2924 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey guys, i'm new to golf and just picked up the game this year. Taking lessons in between practice sessions.

I am a bit confused with the neutral golf grip. I know it needs to be in the fingers and my left hand is fine. The right hand is where it confuses me.

I searched up and down for clarification and only got more confused. To my understanding a neutral golf grip is both Vs parallel to each other with the left hand V pointing to the right ear and right hand V point to the right shoulder at address.

Question 1 - Is this at address with forward shaft lean or when you hold the club down the middle (center of your body)

Question 2 - Is the right hand V suppose to go up to the right shoulder or chin? <-- this is my biggest confusion. There are a ton of grip check pictures online but there are so many neutral grip with the right hand V pointing toward your chin and thn there are neutral grip pictures with right hand pointing to the shoulder.

Can someone please clarify? My hands feel most comfortable and ball flight goes straight with a baby draw when its pointing to the shoulder but someone pointed out to me that i have a "strong" grip. The reason, why i am concern with this is because i would like to be the best i can be over time, but i do not want a grip change in the future if i can get a correct grip now.

Attached are what looks to me like 7 different "neutral" grip.

grips_neutral-strong-weak.jpg

images.jpg

grip_all3_720px.jpg.27b4cbadd293537097bfe65655ec1ca1.jpg

lead.jpg

index.jpg

right-hand-golf-grip-600x450.jpg

proper-golf-grip-right-hand.jpg

WITB: Titleist 975D, Mizuno T-Zoid Pro 5i,7i,9i, Mizuno Black Ox Raw 56* SW, Ping Anser 3 lives in a TourTrek Sunday Carry Bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Since the right hand fits on top of the left. It's the left hand that controls the strength of the right hand. That is why you want to match up grip strength with both hands. 

On 6/25/2014 at 6:35 PM, mvmac said:

Trail Hand

The placement of the trigger finger pressure point (first pad of your index finger just above the knuckle) is important. Too far under can cause the club face to appear too "closed", face aiming towards the sky at the top of the backswing. Too far on top can cause the face to rotate too far underplane on the takeaway.

Left pic, pressure point is "on top". Right pic is ideal, pressure point on the side or aft side of the grip.

16f071df_PP3ontop.jpeg

Left pic, pressure point is "under", ideal on the right.

759304b0_PP3under.jpeg

Another common mistake in the left pic, right thumb is running down the middle of the grip. A more functional position on the right, just the upper right "tip" of the thumb is in contact with the grip. Left pic position can contribute more to "casting" or losing leverage at too fast a rate.

578c62d0_rightthumbontop.jpeg

The curvature of the rear hand fits into the base of the lead thumb.

5fe433f1_curveofrighthand.jpeg

Other than looking at your hand position, how do you know if your grip is in the palm of the lead hand? Take a look at some of these clues.

42 minutes ago, hack2scratch said:

I searched up and down for clarification and only got more confused. To my understanding a neutral golf grip is both Vs parallel to each other with the left hand V pointing to the right ear and right hand V point to the right shoulder at address.

I would measure it more the position of your left hand. If the grip was a clock being the top of the grip is 12. 

Weak = Thumb on the 12 position
Neutral = Between 12-1 position
Strong = Thumb on the 1-2 position 

49 minutes ago, hack2scratch said:

Can someone please clarify? My hands feel most comfortable and ball flight goes straight with a baby draw when its pointing to the shoulder but someone pointed out to me that i have a "strong" grip. The reason, why i am concern with this is because i would like to be the best i can be over time, but i do not want a grip change in the future if i can get a correct grip now.

A strong grip is fine. There is nothing wrong with it. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Absolutely! Just look at the grips on tour. You'll see all kinds. If it works for you, go with it. Everybody's hands are different anyway. Different in palm size, finger length, finger thickness, and grip strength.

Don't get to hung up on where the V point.  On the full swing I like to angle hands according to the last three knuckles of my fists

The Vs are more important in putting. I like Vs pointed to the shoulder 

Edited by dchoye

Got it! Thank you guys for the help. I think i got too obsess with proper mechanics and got really tense in the arms and hands. When i dont think about the hands or the swing and i can hit relatively straight or a small draw with a divot in front of the ball.

Every time i think mechanic, i'll fat or slice...

I want to be a scratch player and i read on a couple threads that you would need to change to neutrel grip to "excel" to breaking 80, so that got me worried

WITB: Titleist 975D, Mizuno T-Zoid Pro 5i,7i,9i, Mizuno Black Ox Raw 56* SW, Ping Anser 3 lives in a TourTrek Sunday Carry Bag

I don't think that's necessarily true, but it's not a bad place to start and work out from there. I see a lot of tour players with really strong left hand grips. BTW, just because you change one hand doesn't mean you have to change the other to match.

Note: This thread is 2924 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!