IGNORED

Anyone Else Use 'Good Shots' to Measure How Good a Round Was?

Grumpter
Note: This thread is 2883 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Back in the day, when I played all the time and shot(mostly) in the 70's, I used to say I hit 6 very good shots, 6 very bad shots, and a bunch of so-so shots damn near every round.

Now I tend to think of my rounds in number of well played holes instead of shots.  I usually play 10-12 holes well, and the other 6-8 not so good.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I don't really pay much attention to good vs. bad - don't rank them or analyze them.  In fact I look at every shot from a positive viewpoint.  I view most poor shots not as failure, but as an opportunity for good recovery.  It's a chance to exercise my creativity and game management ability, to focus down to a fine point on the next shot.

Only the worst shots, ones that are completely out of play and result in a penalty would be considered as a failure, and even then it's an opportunity to make the absolute best I can from the poorest situation.  

As a player, I find that I'm better company on the course when I keep an optimistic attitude, and usually I play better when I do.  I focus on where I want the ball to go, not on what I want to avoid.  I do see the area of avoidance, then flush it from my mind and focus solely on where I want to hit the shot.

• Upvote 1

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

3 hours ago, Fourputt said:

I don't really pay much attention to good vs. bad - don't rank them or analyze them.  In fact I look at every shot from a positive viewpoint.  I view most poor shots not as failure, but as an opportunity for good recovery.  It's a chance to exercise my creativity and game management ability, to focus down to a fine point on the next shot.

Only the worst shots, ones that are completely out of play and result in a penalty would be considered as a failure, and even then it's an opportunity to make the absolute best I can from the poorest situation.  

As a player, I find that I'm better company on the course when I keep an optimistic attitude, and usually I play better when I do.  I focus on where I want the ball to go, not on what I want to avoid.  I do see the area of avoidance, then flush it from my mind and focus solely on where I want to hit the shot.

That's a great perspective to take on bad shots, unfortunately I haven't gotten to that point in my golf journey and usually get annoyed internally with myself for hitting a bad shot.  

Joe Paradiso

Well I've learned how badly one needs to play to shoot a 90.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

14 hours ago, DrvFrShow said:

Well I've learned how badly one needs to play to shoot a 90.

It's even worse when you make a lot of good swings and some great shots yet still shoot that score, there are days when the ball just doesn't want to cooperate. :cry:

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

1 hour ago, Lihu said:

It's even worse when you make a lot of good swings and some great shots yet still shoot that score, there are days when the ball just doesn't want to cooperate. :cry:

Yeah.... those days when every miss hit is just in that position where one branch is in position to deflect the next shot; or that branch is in position to mess up your backswing; or you're in that 4 inch trench divot in 2 inch rough that makes it almost impossible to get anything but a wedge on the ball.  Some days you only have to be a little bit off to shoot a horrid score.

• Upvote 1

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Scored a 101 the other day. It was one of my worst rounds ever. But, I fondly remember all of my great shots.

A couple of 3 woods that were hit in a straight line for 190 yards. One of them on a Par 4 (after a very poor drive) to about 15 feet from the pin. It was over the bunkers guarding the green - landing on the green. And then I went on to 3 putt that one. I three putted the other great 3 wood, too (Par 5).

And I sunk at least three 5' foot putts. Yeah, I'm missing the 3 footers.

And I hit some perfect wedge shots - right to the pin.

But, I'm playing so bad now, that I really wonder how I can hit so many great shots in between all of the bad shots.

Im with you @Grumpter. Handicap and final number on score card are a good indicator of ones game but not perfect. I used to measure mine by the bad shots then the good. Now I measure both. How many good shots did I hit and how bad were the bad ones. Heres a good example: shot a 92 at a tough course recently and told all who asked that I played great round. After hearing "92" there were some double takes. I went on to explain that its a tough course and I took a 10 on one hole more from bad luck and a lack of concentration than my actual swing mechanics. You turn that ten into a 7 and thats still a poor score on the hole but its very reasonable given my abilities. And the three stroke savings would have been an 89. In the days since, I remember playing well in front of the wife for the first time ever, the chip in for par on the first and the fiver footer I made on 18 to finally par that hole after 9 attempts. Golf is BETTER when you think of the good ones!!!

Note: This thread is 2883 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!