IGNORED

Anyone Else Use 'Good Shots' to Measure How Good a Round Was?

Grumpter
Note: This thread is 2845 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Scoring is all well and good but I tend to measure my rounds by how many good shots I feel I hit. Last night in 9 holes I had 17 good shots which by measuring scale is very high but still shot a 5 over (4 over for handicap) which is good but not great. Anyone else run through their rounds afterwards and keep track of the good shots? I sure some will say you only played as good as your score but that's just their opinion.

• Upvote 1

I do much the same, I mentally review every shot, and group it into good, acceptable, or poor.  I can then kind of group those into shot types, and conclude that for instance drives were generally good, irons were fair, putting was poor, etc.  I don't actually keep those stats for future use, but I do develop a conclusion as to what my worst problems were, which gives me an idea of where to spend my practice time.  Obviously in the end its the score that counts, but even informal statistical evaluations can help guide future practice concentrations.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

4 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I do much the same, I mentally review every shot, and group it into good, acceptable, or poor.  I can then kind of group those into shot types, and conclude that for instance drives were generally good, irons were fair, putting was poor, etc.  

I would say that it's always good to set a baseline. I think some people are too harsh in their own critique, and set unrealistic goals. 

• Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Just now, saevel25 said:

I would say that it's always good to set a baseline. I think some people are too harsh in their own critique, and set unrealistic goals. 

I play with some of those guys, they'll be complaining if a shot is 20 feet right, or if they miss a 30-foot putt :cry:.  I'm thinking to myself "Hey, you're a 12 handicap, those are pretty good shots".  But that's OK, let em get down on themselves, they're even easier to take money from when that happens :-P

• Upvote 1

Dave

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 

Unless it's a truly spectacular shot, I don't usually remember many shots, good, or bad. I don't even pay much attention to my scores after I record them. 

I expect all my shots to land in my general target area. Most do, some don't. I am more likely to remember something else on the golf course that is not related to my game. 

What I do when I get to the course is think of my scoring, putting goals. I either make, or better those goals. If I don't, it's "oh well, there's always next time". 

When it comes to golf, I very happily suffer from "WRS" most of the time. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

8 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I can then kind of group those into shot types, and conclude that for instance drives were generally good, irons were fair, putting was poor, etc.  I don't actually keep those stats for future use, but I do develop a conclusion as to what my worst problems were, which gives me an idea of where to spend my practice time.

Yes, I do something similar. I like to know which part of the game seems to be costing me the most strokes.

For me it tends to be tee shots but those are the hardest to work on as there are not many decent grass driving ranges in my area. They all seem pretty beaten up if they have grass and the rubber tees on the mats never seem to be the right height. I looked for a pack of rubber tees in 1/4" increments but haven't found a set yet. 1/2" increments is too much IMO.

I will sometimes think about/mentally tabulate how many truly "bad" shots I hit in a round.  The fewer "bad" shots I have, the better chance at posting a good score.  Topped fairway woods, leaving the ball in the bunker, fat wedges and sculled chips make the score balloon quickly.

Putting is a separate category.  There are going to be days when nothing drops or I can't get a good feel for the speed. I generally do not consider that to be as great a lapse as hitting a terrible shot off the green.  True, every stroke counts the same but limiting "bad" shots requires more effort than adjusting my putting stroke. 

Brian Kuehn

I go by how many lost balls I had. A round where I don't lose any will, by default, typically be a good round for score on the card. Outside of that, I go by how well I recovered from bad shots.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

the fewer shots of scotch I need to forget the round, the better the game

unfortunately, it's hard to maintain my stats on this metric

• Upvote 2

Bill - 

I dont look at good shots so much. They are all well and good of course but they don't tell me what needs work. I look at the stats in my gps app, though I generally have a good feel for what was up that round. 

Something always needs a bit of work.......or just wasn't working that day

I usually go by holes. Hitting a fairway, green and a 2 putt is "Great". Fairway, nGIR and up and down is good. Missed fairway, GIR or nGir and an up and down is "Good". Even a fairway, nGIR where I get close enough to have a look at Par is "Good" on long PAR 4s. At the end of the round, all of these holes go into the category of what went right in my planning and execution. The Bogeys and worse get evaluated hole by hole to see if I can figure out any pattern as to why those holes didn't go according to plan so I know what I need to work on. (Usually longer approach shots like everybody else. Occasionally shot zone starts creeping back to the flag instead of the center of greens and away from trouble. Etc.)

• Upvote 1

Seems like there are or should be products that allow you to do this automatically. The more automatic the better.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Just now, Lihu said:

Seems like there are or should be products that allow you to do this automatically. The more automatic the better.

This is why God gave us a brain, we don't need a product to do our thinking for us.  

And of course there ARE products, Game Golf and others, but recording beginning and ending points nearly automatically for each shot can't tell the entire story.  Wind, slope, lie, there are a bunch of variables that effect each shot, and consequently qualitatively influence my evaluation of each shot.  Every person is different this way, but I'm comfortable with the way I evaluate my rounds.

• Upvote 1

Dave

Unfortunately, I tend to remember the bad shots more than the good. I measure a good round by how I play off the tee. My short game and putting have gotten better so I'm scoring a little better. But if I hit a bad tee shot on the 1st hole, it tends to stick with me for a while. And if I don't feel comfortable with the group I'm playing in it can get embarrassing.  

I'm much better adapted to playing golf when my game goes away in the middle of the round rather than from thestart.

I'm sorry, what was the question again?

13 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

This is why God gave us a brain, we don't need a product to do our thinking for us.  

And of course there ARE products, Game Golf and others, but recording beginning and ending points nearly automatically for each shot can't tell the entire story.  Wind, slope, lie, there are a bunch of variables that effect each shot, and consequently qualitatively influence my evaluation of each shot.  Every person is different this way, but I'm comfortable with the way I evaluate my rounds.

Yep, all the stats and graphs in the world don't give your brain the measure as well as your gut that incorporates in so many intangibles. I think hitting good shots is definitely part of it. I feel good about yesterday's, because I had several really good approaches. I don't need stats to show me I gained strokes on some of those. They just felt perfect, from the way I saw the shot I wanted, to the swing, to the contact, and the way it landed just like I had hoped. That was a good round. (oh, the score was meh :-P) Something to build on.

• Upvote 2

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

I guess it's all relative.  For me, a good shot is generally one that is anywhere in the vicinity of my intended target.  For others, a good shot is going to land in a specific spot.  

I tend to break things down into groups after I play... full swings, pitch/chip shots, putts and penalty strokes.  I know that I throw a LOT of shots away on penalty strokes, so I keep track of that.  Putting is a natural stat to keep.  For my full swings, I break them into three categories... good, bad and mediocre.  

I played yesterday morning and shot an overall horrible score (106).  I took 40 full swings.  20 were categorized as good... 15 as bad and the other 5 as mediocre.  

In an average round, I'll take approximately 40 full swings (I don't count provisional balls or shots after penalties for some reason)... approximately 36 putts... and somewhere around 15 pitch/chip shots.  

If I can walk away saying that 25 or more of my full swings were of the 'good' variety... I feel pretty good, despite my final score.  On the flip side, if I post a good (for me) score and then I look back and see that my good-to-bad ratio wasn't acceptable, I'm not overly enthusiastic about the score.  

So... yes, I use good shots to measure my rounds, but my good shots are someone else's mediocre (and sometimes bad) shots.

CY

Career Bests
- 18 Holes - 72 (+1) - Par 71 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022
- 9 Holes - 36 (E) - Par 36 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022

34 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

He also gave us inventiveness to build those products. :-)

I suppose I might be going just a little overboard on the application of technology. . .

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Note: This thread is 2845 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!