IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge June 2016

Note: This thread is 2882 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Did some half swings while focusing on keeping the lead wrist pronated and the lead arm straight. Also exaggerating the inside out swing. I was starting to fade some of my shots again yesterday, even though they were going pretty far.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

15 minutes mirror work before my workout. Focused on the late hinging of my wrists and flattening in the transition per my Evolvr lesson.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

6/22/16:

Work with a few clubs today... Lately I've been struggling a little with 5 and 6 iron so I decided to work on it a little making sure I'm accelerating through... Doing my best DJ impression... Though I can't hit a 4-iron 250 yards!

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

10 minutes mirror work with the transition, A4 to A7. I'm getting rusty and need to get to the range. Did my time, but it wasn't the best practice. I need to get outside on the range or to a course soon.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

12 hours ago, Lihu said:

Did some half swings while focusing on keeping the lead wrist pronated and the lead arm straight. Also exaggerating the inside out swing. I was starting to fade some of my shots again yesterday, even though they were going pretty far.

Spent some time at the range with my daughter. We also practiced putting.

Tried out the Jason Day warmup, it was pretty good.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Hit some shots in the garage just now - for about 30 minutes.  I'm working on 2 drills right now:

1.  Take it to the top of the backswing and stop.  Left knee moves away from right knee, arms drop down, stop and hit it from there.  That one comes from my teacher at my last lesson.

2.  Parallel to parallel swings alternating 1 with my left knee moving away from my right knee during the takeaway and another with a proper take away, then left knee away from the right, then swing.  I invented this one, lol.  With my left knee moving away in the takeaway I get to a *really good* position when I hit arms parallel in the back swing.  This is where I need to get to - just not this way . .so that's why I alternate.

8 hours ago, Rainmaker said:

Hit some shots in the garage just now - for about 30 minutes.  I'm working on 2 drills right now:

1.  Take it to the top of the backswing and stop.  Left knee moves away from right knee, arms drop down, stop and hit it from there.  That one comes from my teacher at my last lesson.

2.  Parallel to parallel swings alternating 1 with my left knee moving away from my right knee during the takeaway and another with a proper take away, then left knee away from the right, then swing.  I invented this one, lol.  With my left knee moving away in the takeaway I get to a *really good* position when I hit arms parallel in the back swing.  This is where I need to get to - just not this way . .so that's why I alternate.

Practiced again for around 30 minutes.  Started with drill 1.  Did some drill 2 and then I did some slow motion swings to try to feel the position I get from doing drill 2 and how to get to it from the top of my real backswing . . or, vice-vera, how to get to the top of my real backswing from this position. 

I made some progress, I got a feeling that my right hip was more "back" and my left knee was going more forwards (ie - to the ball as well as to the target).  I had a feeling of perhaps "sitting down" in the transition . . I know some of the swings were good because I got that "squeeze" in my left butt cheek through impact.  I didn't get a great one on video, though. Still shows progress.  My impact is more in a straight line from my shoulder to the clubhead but my hips are still to rotated . .messing up the picture, lol.  

Also my shaft is not staying straight through and after impact as long as I want it to.    Baby steps. 

20 minutes mirror work at the gym before a long stretching session. Have my league round later today. Focused on the takeaway with later wrist hinging and transition with flattening the shaft and my left wrist.

Scott

My Swing Thread

12 hours ago, Lihu said:

Spent some time at the range with my daughter. We also practiced putting.

Tried out the Jason Day warmup, it was pretty good.

Practiced more half swings. I asked a salesman, yesterday, when I was looking at different wedges where my swing stopped and with some feedback from him I eventually got to one where it looked kind of 3/4-ish. That swing felt like I just took it to A3.

I was over swinging so badly last Friday that I even distracted myself with the club head in my "normal" vision not even my peripheral. :-P

Also, thinking more about the Jason Day warmup, it's actually about 33% more shots than he would normally take during an actual round. 42 FS, 26 Chips, 27 putts. Interesting. To do the same thing for me I would need to probably take 48FS, 32 Chips and 35 putts. :whistle:

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

6/23/16:

Who would have though I'd ever practice 54 days in a row!

I played 18 today... Realized I'm holding my hands too high... Shot 83 my lowest of this year... First round I've played with 0 doubles or worse... I only broke the cardinal sin on my near greens twice, once was a simple chip... Once was on the fringe... 12 bogeys, 5 pars and 1 birdie on 17... Putting was a little off at times... But no three-putts... Considering I only hit 3 greens 83 is a damn good score.

Would've Game Golfed it for you guys... But my GG was dead.... (I left it in my bag)  :(

• Upvote 1

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

I bailed on the daily thing at the beginning of the month.  I thought that I could do it without reporting it but that lasted for about 3 days.  I need the pressure of reporting something to get me moving.  Also, last night after a terrible round I have finally accepted that I need to practice a lot to get any better and stay there.  I've a got two charity scrambles and a Member meet-up in july and I can't be putting up the scores I am currently shooting. So...

Stopped at the course on the way home and worked on putting for about 20 minutes.  Chipped a little as well.  Tonight I worked on a swing drill my evolvr instructor gave me.  

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

Worked for about 10 minutes after dinner - slow motion and just  a couple swings.  I've been working on key 2 - in particular the transition part of it.  I started out just copying motions in my lesson and have cycled through a few feels trying to get it - turn around jumpshot (no), the "baseball step" (no) . . but today something new clicked - when I get to a good coiled position, I can kind of "sit down" in it - kind of like pushing down on a spring.  I always stayed away from "sit down" ideas because it didn't make any sense to me . .how much to sit down?  It seemed too hard to repeat.  If I'm in a good position, though, it's more like pushing down vs sitting down and it feels much more repeatable.   

12 hours ago, Lihu said:

Practiced more half swings. I asked a salesman, yesterday, when I was looking at different wedges where my swing stopped and with some feedback from him I eventually got to one where it looked kind of 3/4-ish. That swing felt like I just took it to A3.

I was over swinging so badly last Friday that I even distracted myself with the club head in my "normal" vision not even my peripheral. :-P

Also, thinking more about the Jason Day warmup, it's actually about 33% more shots than he would normally take during an actual round. 42 FS, 26 Chips, 27 putts. Interesting. To do the same thing for me I would need to probably take 48FS, 32 Chips and 35 putts. :whistle:

Played a solo round and shot +7 on 14 holes. The 4 missing holes would probably have had +3 more, typically. Not surprisingly, the handicap + par would have been +3. I would have probably been on my way to a +10 or 82 from 72.9/130. Seeing as there was a tournament there this morning and afternoon, the tees were in the correct locations. So, this is the first round out of my bogey slump in 2 months. Yay! Wait and see. . . :tumble:

The times I over swung, I fade/sliced. The balls went far (in one case even 281 yards on GG, but I might have been aimed that way since I purposely aimed kind of in that general direction to avoid the street :doh: ), but they curved off to the left like a push-cut. When I consciously went from inside out with an exaggerated "feel", the balls went pretty straight with a slight push-draw. I pulled all my iron shots, on the range I hit push-draw, on the course a dead pull to hook. :doh:

Spending time working on that feel right now, along with the A3 back swing "stop" feel.

Just ordered some slow motion memory for my camera, hope I can capture my course swing better. I hit well enough on the range to give the general impression that I'm any good at this game, but I tell my range mates that this is not how I hit on the course. Now, I'll be able to record it. Plus, my playing partners know I hit solid, just in the wrong direction from bad path, timing or whatever. :-P

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

12 hours ago, Lihu said:

Played a solo round and shot +7 on 14 holes. The 4 missing holes would probably have had +3 more, typically. Not surprisingly, the handicap + par would have been +3. I would have probably been on my way to a +10 or 82 from 72.9/130. Seeing as there was a tournament there this morning and afternoon, the tees were in the correct locations. So, this is the first round out of my bogey slump in 2 months. Yay! Wait and see. . . :tumble:

The times I over swung, I fade/sliced. The balls went far (in one case even 281 yards on GG, but I might have been aimed that way since I purposely aimed kind of in that general direction to avoid the street :doh: ), but they curved off to the left like a push-cut. When I consciously went from inside out with an exaggerated "feel", the balls went pretty straight with a slight push-draw. I pulled all my iron shots, on the range I hit push-draw, on the course a dead pull to hook. :doh:

Spending time working on that feel right now, along with the A3 back swing "stop" feel.

Just ordered some slow motion memory for my camera, hope I can capture my course swing better. I hit well enough on the range to give the general impression that I'm any good at this game, but I tell my range mates that this is not how I hit on the course. Now, I'll be able to record it. Plus, my playing partners know I hit solid, just in the wrong direction from bad path, timing or whatever. :-P

More time trying to reduce the back swing in front of a mirror. I'm going to try to swing as "hard" as possible and see where the back swing ends up. When I'm cold the back swing seems okay, it's generally when I am warmed up that I start over swinging.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

10 minutes mirror work before my workout. Took it easy as my wrist was a bit sore.

Scott

My Swing Thread

6/24/16:

Worked on putting line this morning with the metal ruler drill.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Worked on slow, half-swings for about 10 minutes.  Have some shoulder/neck pain keeping me from doing more than that.

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

I've been working on Key 2 - but really not practicing a whole lot - there's just been stuff going on - I had a hot water heater blow, my a/c went out. Forces are conspiring against me, lol. 

I practiced for about 30 minutes today - slow motion, my 2 drills I'm working on and then some full swings.  I'm making steady progress on grooving in this piece I'm working on - the "drop" part of the transition followed by the weight transfer - specifically the motion of my lower body, more specifically my right and left knees. 

I've grooved in something that works but, on video, it looks like I'm cheating my left knee.  My teacher gets his going "away" from his right knee to a stupid degree, lol.  Like his pants are super stretched when he does it.   I'm also feel like I'm building the stretch in my left shoulder too soon . . like it really should not come into play until I start dropping into the transition and then my left side should feel like it's pulling away from my right - but it's not doing that so much. 

I'm almost ready for my next lesson but I'll take another go-around at trying to get my left knee going "away" from my right knee more first. 

Note: This thread is 2882 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!